Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7779870 07/19/12 02:58 PM
R
Retired&Free2Fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I am mostly a crappie fisherman but have a buddy that I have been fishing with for awhile but still learn something about him every trip. When I first started fishing with him we would always make stops to get cigars, coffee, breakfast or bait. I just want to get to the lake, don't care about stopping. I always tell him that I will pick him up an hour earlier just so he can get his goodies. One time we were going to wade and he got in the truck smelling like bed bath and beyond. I didn't say anything to him at the time bit noticed when we got to the lake the bugs were eating his a$$ up. I was laughing so hard because he was slapping at them and dropping his jigging rod. He couldn't run because we were wading. Bugs were not touching me. Come to find out he takes showers before fishing which I don't do because you are getting dirty anyway. He said his wife had brought some new soup and I should have told him he was smelling up the truck.

Last edited by Retired&Free2Fish; 07/19/12 03:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7780241 07/19/12 03:59 PM
B
Brandon Shook Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
He's not very committed to fishing, I've had many a tournament where I didn't sleep much the night before and been fine.

It's also great if you can find a guy you really like and get along with and who is a decent fisherman. I've had the same fishing partner for 5 years or so now.

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7780520 07/19/12 04:46 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Pretty much, anyone who puts health, hunger, safety, sleep, or comfort before fishing is a bad partner. I think we can all agree on that. Lol.

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Okie Poke] #7782059 07/19/12 10:08 PM
horton5303 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
After I seen him with one rod that morning, at that time I would have offered to give him a ride......HOME!!

Fishin by yourself ain't all that bad....I like it. I'm particular on who I go out with, though. I go out for a good time, not to accommodate a whine-bag.

+1 I agree i prefer to fish alone honestly. That way i am on my own terms and i can concentrate better.

Offshore Charter Captain at Osprey Cruises 55ft Head Boat Osprey II, South Padre Island.,. http://www.ospreycruises.com/osprey-fishing-trips/
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7782800 07/20/12 12:51 AM
B
Black Dallas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
i took a guy from work one time and told him not to worry about gas, just bring the beer. he shows up with 3 32 oz miller high life cans. he said that was all he could afford. $1 each!!! we went to the store and got some decent stuff for me that i bought. guess what he drinks? my good beer!! i asked what the heck was he doing and he said "I bought those fatboys for you. they're yours!!" i did put him on a 7-4 though. he was tikled with it!!

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Black Dallas] #7782946 07/20/12 01:30 AM
J
JOED214 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Have a real good friend that use to go fishing with me back before I sold my bass boat. He fished the front of the boat from the back of the boat! A day of dodging spinner baits will keep you on your toes for sure! I just considerd it quality time with a good friend and learned to appreciate those days when I was fishing alone.

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7782987 07/20/12 01:37 AM
bassdreamer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: jordan319
I guess I just need to vent! One of my buddies knows that I am a avid fisherman and he is always talking about how many fish he can catch. So I invited him to go fishing with me yesterday. We leave the house at 5am and at that time he proceeds to tell me that he only got 3 hours of sleep the night before, didn't think much of it at the time. So when we get to the lake, he brings one rod and a tackle box with about 10 lures in it, so at this point I'm starting to laugh. The entire time we are out there he is either talking to his girlfriend on his iPhone or playing games on his iPhone. We fished up until lunch and he is still throwing the same lure as he started with and hasn't caught a da*n thing. We went back to the ramp to get a bite to eat, and he won't stop complaining about how tired he is. So at this point he asks if he can sleep in the truck until I'm ready to leave!! I thought he was kidding at first! So I go on and do my thing and I head back in at about 6pm or so and he's still asleep. He wakes up when I go get the truck to put the boat on the trailer and doesn't help me one bit! Last time I offer to take his lazy a$$ fishing again. Is it just me or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

You may be taking fishing a little too seriously, and he clearly doesn't take it seriously enough. Sounds like a blind date gone bad. Don't be mad just pick your fishing dates better next time!

Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Brandon Shook] #7783107 07/20/12 02:07 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Brandon Shook
He's not very committed to fishing, I've had many a tournament where I didn't sleep much the night before and been fine.

It's also great if you can find a guy you really like and get along with and who is a decent fisherman. I've had the same fishing partner for 5 years or so now.
That was always my deal. It was what I call the Christmas effect, like the night before. I couldn't stop working strategies in my head. Some tourney mornings I would get up and run to the local Waffle House or truck stop and order breakfast @ 2am. I'd eat then I'd drive on to the boat ramp and sit and listen to music until time for launch, just to try to calm down and relax. I've seen guys launch their boat and sit tied up to the pier or pulled up on the bank, or just sitting out in the water waiting to leave and they'd be slapping themselves in the face like a bull rider trying to get cranked up for what was about to happen, most of the time I'd see these guys come back empty handed and madder than haites because they hadn't caught anything. I think for most folks the Rick Clunn approach is better getting into a relaxed "zin" state of mind and just being focused. No, these guys weren't my fishing partners but I got a kick out of watching them.......

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #7783704 07/20/12 04:27 AM
J
Jordan Massey Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Originally Posted By: Brandon Shook

I couldn't stop working strategies in my head.

This is exactly me! I get no sleep the night before I go fishing. Doesn't matter if I'm fun fishing or tournament fishing!

Personal Best Bass: 7.5Lbs
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: CoastalBent] #7784334 07/20/12 01:19 PM
R
Rudy Lackey Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: CoastalBent
Unforgivable. Sometimes you gotta eliminate fishing partners just like eliminating unproductive water....

Rudy
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: brando] #7797628 07/24/12 02:39 AM
W
WacoHawgCaller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: brando
thats pretty funny but it seems as if fishing is the last thing on his mind a quick turn on high with the trolling motor could have been very comical

Hilarious

WacoHawgCaller
of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, 1954

I BUY HOUSES - ANY CONDITION - ANY SITUATION

IF YOU REFER SOMEONE TO ME AND I BUY THEIR HOUSE. I PAY YOU $500.00 Waco to Buda and most everywhere in between.
Re: Horrible Fishing Partner [Re: Jordan Massey] #7798428 07/24/12 01:26 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
A year or so ago a younger guy that just moved here from up north began hanging around the same circle of dudes as me. Always talked about how much he loved to fish and couldn't wait to get on the water.

I figured I'd help the kid out and show him the local spots etc.
Well we get on the water and he's fairly proficient but I had 6 fish he had none. I put down my rod handed him a rig and began guiding him down to rigging, exactly where to cast how long to wait between pauses etc. Long story short I quit fishing and got him on about 7 or 8 nice fish. Thought we had a good day and felt good about putting a new kid on some quality Texas fish.

Well about a week later I meet up with our mutual friends and start getting my chops broke. Turns out junior told everyone how he outfished me and that he never fished these waters before but still wooped me. basicly he made it known that he was a superior stick in every way. He ran out and bought his own rig with mom and dads money and sat on the spots I spent years locating damn near every day for a month.

Summer rolled in and the pattern changed so he quit catching fish out of my spring holes and hasn't caught much of anything since. He's been trying to prod me for more advice but that bridge is burnt down to ashes. wink

On a good note I been taking out a friend of mines son who's been nothing but respectful and been smokin em!

Last edited by FMJshooter; 07/24/12 01:34 PM.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide