texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Dalton409, BassnMike7, Rhod the Roadrunner, CalTX, TPM1235!
119272 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,182
TexDawg 120,441
Bigbob_FTW 96,858
John175☮ 86,024
Bob Davis 84,328
Pilothawk 83,348
Mark Perry 72,781
Derek 🐝 68,364
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,041,948
Posts14,009,308
Members144,272
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: flyfshrgrl] #7286527 03/14/12 05:35 PM
C
CedarCreekWoody Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: flyfshrgrl
Originally Posted By: keebranch
Originally Posted By: DarkStar
KB you forgot Barlows in dfw area. As a local and thriving online retailer they need TFF support. For Texans by Texans.

Mea culpa - should have mentioned Barlows as well as others.

Les

Just ask me about what happened two days after Norm Goheen died.

Hmmmm, I'll bite. What happened two days after Norm died?

Woody
Sea-Pro 170 CC
90 HP Mercury Saltwater

2014 Sun Tracker DLX 18
60 HP Mercury four stroke.

Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: CedarCreekWoody] #7286534 03/14/12 05:37 PM
C
CedarCreekWoody Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Maybe we need a new version of "A River Runs Through It" to revive the interest in fly fishing. Business used to be measured as "before" or "after" the movie, it had that much impact.

Woody
Sea-Pro 170 CC
90 HP Mercury Saltwater

2014 Sun Tracker DLX 18
60 HP Mercury four stroke.

Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7286544 03/14/12 05:39 PM
W
Washington Ag Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
thats what got me going, and a free fly rod

"You don't have to be good if you're lucky."
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7286573 03/14/12 05:46 PM
B
Baby Huey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: sdoherty84
Wow I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. It was more of a public rant. First off I fully understand the business side of being able or not being able to stock product that is not selling. I am also not asking Stephen from Backwoods to relocate (though I would not be opposed). After going into Gander a few days ago, I felt as if they were mocking us with the less than poor attempt to stock fly gear. Keep in mind I don't expect either Gander or Academy to put up a nice TFO display just for the 20 or so fly fishers in the area. But the 1/16 of an isle that was once there for the simple things was not killing any store profit or adding some outrageous overhead. Hell I would be willing to bet the standard allotment for loss or stolen property doubled the amount of inventory prices from the "fly section".

There are 3 stores here locally that could easily support us with a small fly section. They might even be shocked to know some of us do other things than fish and that well kept fly display could lead me to purchase a new bow or gun. What a great sales lead, $2.00 Fat Albert Hopper turns in to a couple hundred dollars worth of other equipment from their store.

I too understand the part about having to stock products that are slow to sell. I also know that I have walked into stores for a specific item and have checked out with more items than I originally intended to purchase. Academy did respond to an email that I sent, basically stating the principles of stocking items that are more popular. I appreciate the fact that they responded. They said, also, that they do have the products online in their catalog. Well, if I have to order it "Hello Cabela's or BPS". I would think they could at least stock some of the basics to get us in the store, after all we are talking about "fishing". Where's the bait?

OSHA tries to make the jobsite "idiot proof" then the employers go and hire the cheapest idiots they can find to prove OSHA wrong.
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: CedarCreekWoody] #7286626 03/14/12 05:57 PM
S
sdoherty84 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Your wish has been granted! "Salmon Fishing in Yemen" came out in selected theaters last Friday. Will be out nationwide by the end of the month. Starring Ewan McGregor and many others. Check out the trailers on YouTube or IMDB.

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: Baby Huey] #7286655 03/14/12 06:04 PM
T
Txredraider Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Baby Huey
They said, also, that they do have the products online in their catalog. Well, if I have to order it "Hello Cabela's or BPS". I would think they could at least stock some of the basics to get us in the store, after all we are talking about "fishing". Where's the bait?

Maybe you could ask them about a "ship to store" option via their catalog.

"The best trips are not planned."
Written here, and used by permission of, SBridgess.
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7286715 03/14/12 06:24 PM
D
David D. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Didn't read the entire thread, but while in school i worked at both academy and gander mountain from Dec 07-April 11 and i bet i had less than 10 people ever ask about fly fishing gear. Economically speaking it just wouldn't make sense for these stores to carry much if any fly fishing gear (yes i do fly fish when i get the time)

[Linked Image]
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: CedarCreekWoody] #7297435 03/17/12 05:48 AM
F
flyfshrgrl Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: CedarCreekWoody
Originally Posted By: flyfshrgrl
Originally Posted By: keebranch
Originally Posted By: DarkStar
KB you forgot Barlows in dfw area. As a local and thriving online retailer they need TFF support. For Texans by Texans.

Mea culpa - should have mentioned Barlows as well as others.

Les

Just ask me about what happened two days after Norm Goheen died.

Hmmmm, I'll bite. What happened two days after Norm died?

Norm Goheen, retired South Garland HS history teacher for 33 years, was a Dallas fly fishing staple, holding every officer position in the DFF, an accomplished rod builder who graciously taught rod building every Wednesday night at his home, tied a fly pattern for Barlow's, which was for sale in their store and their catalog. Norm also did Barlow's rod repairs for their customers and their shop. Norm had this working relationship with Barlow's for at least a decade.

Norm developed brain cancer in early 2009, and while he fought the brave fight, we lost Norm in late November 2009. Norm, even on his roughest days, worked on tying flies or repairing rods for Barlow's.

Two days after Norm died, his brother, Mike, took the last remaining flies Norm had tied to Barlow's. Mike was told, "We don't want those. What good is it going to do us now that he's dead? We can't really sell them now, even though they are in the catalog." Granted, Brother Mike, as he was affectionately called, who was in his early 60s, left Barlow's on this rather unfortunate Tuesday, heartbroken with tears streaming down his cheeks. Brother Mike clipped the hooks, turned them into pins, and gave them to Norm's friends and rod-builders at his memorial. I still have mine.

On Wednesday week following Norm's death, the "rod-building regulars" showed up at Norm's where we finished building the rods Norm had taken in from Barlow's. Cody and I tried to return them to Barlow's on Thursday. We were accused of trying to cheat them out of money. We were accused of stealing. When we explained who we were, that we were returning the rods--repaired, so Barlow's could return them to the customers who had dropped them off for repairs, and tried to collect what they owed Norm on his wife's behalf. Barlow's kicked us out of their store.

We returned the rods to Norm's wife and assisted her with contacting the people who owned the rods. We were successful with all but one rod, and to this day, I have no clue as to who owned that last rod.

Barlow's deserves to go out of business for treating people so cruelly. I will go without, permanently, before I will walk in their door or use their materials. Gratefully, I do not receive their catalog any longer, and that is why I abhor Barlow's.

Julia Bell/flyfshrgrl
Dallas Fly Fishers President, 2021-present

FishOn! the Fly
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7297682 03/17/12 12:32 PM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Sounds like a case of chronic assholism. You have to know that they acted differently towards Mr. Goheen, else why would he have dealt with them so much.
I never have, but it sounds like I never will do business with Barlow's.

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7297805 03/17/12 01:40 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Whew!!!! All this time, I never knew! Holy excrement! Yes, I'll find it difficult to shop there ever again.

Thank you for the update.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7297987 03/17/12 02:59 PM
S
seaaggie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
if you are willing to take a 2 hour drive to Houston, you can visit Ifly, they are great people

I am a part time custom rod builder, Rods By Chris. I specialize in fly rods, but just down right enjoy building custom fishing rods. I see each as a piece of art.

rodsbychris@gmail.com
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: seaaggie] #7298259 03/17/12 04:54 PM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: seaaggie
if you are willing to take a 2 hour drive to Houston, you can visit Ifly, they are great people

I have only been there once since they changed locations & I really like this shop, but their fly tying inventory was pretty dismal, but they have great selection of rods, reels, & line

another place in Houston is Fishing Tackle Unlimited (2 locations) lotsa fly fishing stuff

Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7303364 03/19/12 01:41 AM
T
TonkawaTrout Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
The archery Outfitters store on South College behind Chicken Oil has plenty of gear for your FLYFISHING needs. I bought a vice last spring and still use it all the time. They are an Orvis and Simms dealer. If that isnt enough just get an Orvis credit card and order what you need and get free shipping. Thats what I did while I was in school down there and I always had enough fishing gear.

"Subdue them, rule over the fish of the sea, the fowl of the air and everything that moves over the earth."
Genesis 1:28
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: TonkawaTrout] #7309268 03/20/12 04:59 AM
F
flyfshrgrl Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: TonkawaTrout
The archery Outfitters store on South College behind Chicken Oil has plenty of gear for your FLYFISHING needs. I bought a vice last spring and still use it all the time. They are an Orvis and Simms dealer. If that isnt enough just get an Orvis credit card and order what you need and get free shipping. Thats what I did while I was in school down there and I always had enough fishing gear.

It's good to know that place is still in business after all these years. I bought from them while I was in school, too, and, if you're building your own fly rods, archery ferrule glue (cuboid stick) is better than the fly fishing (cylindrical stick) glue, and that shop has plenty of good archery glue, as well as other things.

Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane!

Julia Bell/flyfshrgrl
Dallas Fly Fishers President, 2021-present

FishOn! the Fly
Re: Bryan/College Station Anti-Fly Fishing Campaign [Re: sdoherty84] #7310857 03/20/12 04:23 PM
Y
YassirSanchez Offline
Angler
Angler
Y
I will never go in to Barlows again.

Nobody could make up anything that cruddy.

And to think, the first fly rod I ever bought came from Barlows.

Cest la vie!

A Texian is just a regular person way out on a limb
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide