Forums59
Topics1,040,550
Posts13,983,345
Members144,241
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: 90 5.0] #7178850 02/16/12 01:08 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: 90 5.0
Originally Posted By: AstaSoftride
Well, I like a few others here have an XB2003, not the XB21 Bassport Pro pictured in the OP.

What's wrong with them? Everyone stops you and wants to know how fast does it run. No one ever asked me that in the two years I owned the Ranger R77.

I have a ss motor on mine, i had a guy at the dock tell me i needed to get one of those big mercuries instead of the little one i had on mine when i was undoing the trailer straps lol

I love those SS Mercs. They are becoming like dinosaurs. I had the Drag SS on my Ally 2002. Is yours the Drag motor or 280?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: HasBen] #7178872 02/16/12 01:15 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: HasBen
Originally Posted By: Happykamper
Allison's are neat boats but they are a far cry from being the perfect bass boat, if they were so great all the pros would be running them, basically they are a race boat with a trolling motor mounted on the bow. I wish I had a bunch of money so I could own one of them along with a regular bass boat, dream on.

The pros run a certain boat because the boat manufacturer pays him to run a certain boat. KVD would fish from a Bayliner if Bayliner paid him more than Nitro. Allison is a specialty boat manufacturer much like Bullet, Stroker, or Sterling. You do not see pros in those boat either. That is because they do not have the budget to make a superior quality boat and also pay pros a lot of money to fish out of their boats.

You did get one thing correct. There are no perfect bassboats. I have owned them all, and they all had shortcomings. There were things I did not like about all of them, but there were also redeeming factors in all of them. Different strokes for different folks.

I would like to add to that Ben. Darris Allison and Bill Hill (Bullet) could not care less about sponsoring bass tournaments. They are specialty boat manufacturers and sell all they can build every year, which is about 150-200 boats. Compared to Triton's 5,000 a year, it is a drop in the bucket.

As you may recall Roger, I owned three Tritons and they were all good boats. But comparing a Triton with an Allison is like comparing a Camaro to a Lambo. And you're right about the best of both worlds. If I could own both it would be cool.

Last edited by Ken A.; 02/16/12 01:16 PM.

Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Ken A.] #7181824 02/17/12 02:03 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: 90 5.0
Originally Posted By: AstaSoftride
Well, I like a few others here have an XB2003, not the XB21 Bassport Pro pictured in the OP.

What's wrong with them? Everyone stops you and wants to know how fast does it run. No one ever asked me that in the two years I owned the Ranger R77.

I have a ss motor on mine, i had a guy at the dock tell me i needed to get one of those big mercuries instead of the little one i had on mine when i was undoing the trailer straps lol

I love those SS Mercs. They are becoming like dinosaurs. I had the Drag SS on my Ally 2002. Is yours the Drag motor or 280?

200 supermag ss
225 front half, cut heads ecu work and some mild porting

280 drop on will prolly be next, had a guy wanting to trade me a drag along with some 280 heads for fishing for my drag car a while back but i never went through with it,

Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Ken A.] #7181838 02/17/12 02:07 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: HasBen
Allison's are neat boats but they are a far cry from being the perfect bass boat, if they were so great all the pros would be running them, basically they are a race boat with a trolling motor mounted on the bow. I wish I had a bunch of money so I could own one of them along with a regular bass boat, dream on.

The pros run a certain boat because the boat manufacturer pays him to run a certain boat. KVD would fish from a Bayliner if Bayliner paid him more than Nitro. Allison is a specialty boat manufacturer much like Bullet, Stroker, or Sterling. You do not see pros in those boat either. That is because they do not have the budget to make a superior quality boat and also pay pros a lot of money to fish out of their boats.

You did get one thing correct. There are no perfect bassboats. I have owned them all, and they all had shortcomings. There were things I did not like about all of them, but there were also redeeming factors in all of them. Different strokes for different folks.

I would like to add to that Ben. Darris Allison and Bill Hill (Bullet) could not care less about sponsoring bass tournaments. They are specialty boat manufacturers and sell all they can build every year, which is about 150-200 boats. Compared to Triton's 5,000 a year, it is a drop in the bucket.

As you may recall Roger, I owned three Tritons and they were all good boats. But comparing a Triton with an Allison is like comparing a Camaro to a Lambo. And you're right about the best of both worlds. If I could own both it would be cool.

they also don't offer contingency money in large tourneys either like some manufactures..

my buddie has a tr21 we fish out of sometimes but he usually wants to take my boat out instead of his when we fish tohether, he loves riding in my boat lol..

like others have said, if i could be in a ranger or a skeeter or a triton when i had the troller down, and my ally with the ignition on you couldn't beat it..

Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Rob Lay] #7181894 02/17/12 02:19 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy

I know.. The way an Ally handles and accelerates with a 2.5 high rpm mota is SICK!! You just half to experience it to understand.

If they just "fished" like a Ranger they would be the "perfect" boat. LOL

Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Ken A.] #7182051 02/17/12 02:49 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

I know.. The way an Ally handles and accelerates with a 2.5 high rpm mota is SICK!! You just half to experience it to understand.

yup, i love my buddies 521 with the troller down, but with it up i hate it lol..

Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: 90 5.0] #7182895 02/17/12 12:03 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have been in a Bullet once, was pretty impressed, never been in an Ally, would love to drive one, after about 85 I would probably have to get out of it, my slow Triton has only been 79, maybe my new one will crack 80.

[Linked Image]
Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Happykamper] #7184424 02/17/12 08:05 PM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have been in a Bullet once, was pretty impressed, never been in an Ally, would love to drive one, after about 85 I would probably have to get out of it, my slow Triton has only been 79, maybe my new one will crack 80.

you'd prolly have to get out of it way before that first time out, they are a v bottom boat pretty much , not a flat pad boat like your triton. It's a way different driving experience.

when it's really up on pad the whole boat feels like it's out of the water, and it pretty much is, the nose feels like it's 100' in the air even though it isn't.

the first time you feel it "unlock" and jump up higher on pad you don't know what to think, it's a truely specific feel.

one click of the trim can jump you 10-12 mph without any increase in throttle or rpm when you hit it, it's addicting.

the acceleration is unreal, i had a little starfire with a modded motor years ago that was pretty darn quick, low 80's unloaded, and it took me a while to be able to drive my ally really well even though i had a good bit of seat time in a hydrostream too(much less motor on that one)..

I learned to walk on a bass boat and have been driving my dads boats and mine all of my life, i've got well over 20 years behind the wheel of bassboats, and more than 30 riding around in them.

the first time i felt an ally come out of the water, it was an eye opener. Untill you can really drive an ally, you can't really understand driving one of these boats, no amount of talk can truely explain the feeling ....

Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Rob Lay] #7184609 02/17/12 09:04 PM
A
a-mac Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
allys rock. addicting is an understatement... more like a possessive power that makes you think you can rule the world with a little gas is more like it!

my norris craft some of these perks. that boat was a high rider for sure. But I've never been in any boat other than an Allison that could turn so hard (and so controlled) that you could actually crack the skeg. Yup, I've seen one cracked after a guided day of "Ranger hunting".

Live2Fish~Fish2Live
Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Rob Lay] #7204591 02/22/12 11:52 PM
B
Bassingal14 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
after reading "lets do the math", I feel fortunate to own
a BasSport. It's a pretty well known fact that the Allison
MPG is better than the competition. Prolly burn the same GPH
with any given motor but go more miles in that hour.

Re: anything wrong with an Allison Bass Boat? [Re: Ken A.] #7204608 02/22/12 11:59 PM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Ricky Bobby!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide