Possible new boat help #680049 01/23/06 04:05 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
That itch I've been feeling is one for a new boat. laugh

I currently have a '98 Cobra 201D with a 200 Johnson. I love the ride of the Cobra particularly in rough water.

I've been looking from a distance (websites & such) at the Skeeter, Champion, Triton and Legend. I'm a little leary of the Legend just because it's a relatively new (maybe just new to me) company. I don't want to get stuck with the same company issues I did with the Cobra.
I'm also considering an XPress, but I don't know how they handle in rough water due to the overall weight of the boat.

Can you users tell me what is the best comparison to my Cobra?
Which one will hold up better over time?
Which one will hold it's resale value?
Which one is the best buy for my money?

I know these things have been hashed over and over here and I don't want to see this turn in to a shouting match over who's is better. I just need some of you owners to "sell" me on your boat.

My usage is for crappie and sandbass. I know...I don't need a bass boat. Want and need are two different things. thumb

PS. What's the difference between the Skeeter SX & ZX series?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Possible new boat help #680050 01/23/06 04:28 PM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
You already own a Legend, you just didn't know it.

Re: Possible new boat help #680051 01/23/06 04:35 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
Quote:
Originally posted by RedRanger:
You already own a Legend, you just didn't know it.
Ya, I talked to a guy at the Fishing & Outdoor show a few years ago and got that information.

I love the Cobra and know I would love the Legend as far as the ride is concerned. I'm just concerned about the company and everything that goes along with that. i.e. resale value, warranty issues, etc.

Re: Possible new boat help #680052 01/23/06 05:20 PM
E
Eagle Mountain Guide - David Everitt Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
If you are looking for a CC, the Houston Boat
Show has jillions. It may be over now, not sure.
Worth the drive. Advice: buy from a dealer close
to home. You will be back several if not many
times to work out the new kinks. Test drive the
boats in rough water. If you want a 20' buy a 22'.
Get the biggest and baddest you can afford so you
don't wish you had...... Try this link:

www.thehulltruth.com

David
www.davesguideservice.net

Re: Possible new boat help #680053 01/23/06 05:34 PM
E
Eagle Mountain Guide - David Everitt Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
You can get a rough idea of how they hold their
value at nada.com Compare one brand new and then
several years old. Then, do the same with another
brand. Good luck.

David
www.davesguideservice.net

Re: Possible new boat help #680054 01/24/06 01:56 AM
Brian McCarty Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
The story on the Legend is a very good one! I understand that the factory is completely paid for meaning much reduced overhead. I have heard that he made his money elsewhere and that owning a boat company was a dream that he had for awhile. You can call the Legend factory and talk to the owner directly. This speaks volumes toward their dedication to customer service. They are gaining popularity quickly with the bass boat crowd. I have not talked to anyone that has had a negative comment on the boat. My advice is to buy one before they really take off and save your money! I am not sponsored by them nor do I personally know anyone affiliated with Legend Boats so I have nothing to gain! My next boat will be a Legend LE-21. smile

Re: Possible new boat help #680055 01/24/06 02:03 AM
Brian McCarty Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Jeff,
I can also tell you that I have been very satisfied with my Champion. It has been a good boat. My advice is that if you do buy a Champion that you purchase it out of the metroplex. Email me for details.

Triton is a good boat as well but the people that I know that have them claim that there are problems with quality control and fit and finish.
The resale also seems to be lower than most other boats.

The SX version on the Skeeter has fewer bells and whistles than the ZX versions.

Hope this info helps!

Re: Possible new boat help #680056 01/24/06 02:11 AM
B
BunkFish Offline
Angler
Angler
B
If your looking for a great ride in the water Look at a Ranger. This comming from somone that owned a Skeeter before.

Give this a try...
Call every fiberglass repair place you can think of and ask them what brand of boat they do the most fiberglass work on...I did it before I bought my Ranger.

You might be suprised who has the most stress cracks and hull problems...

my .02

Bunk

Re: Possible new boat help #680057 01/24/06 02:44 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
then call the Ranger Factory and ask them how far behind they are in warranty reapairs...... all the boats have thier own fair share of problems. Maybe you need to get a few different guys on here to take you for rides. Ranger, Skeeter, Champion, Triton..... those are the only brands I would ever own. I am partial to Skeeter because I have never had bad luck. I can get you hooked up on a ride in a 21' Skeeter without a salesman aboard if you just want to feel the way it handles. it has a 250 Yamaha on board.

Re: Possible new boat help #680058 01/24/06 02:58 AM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Jeff,
The comments concerning Legend appear correct, the company is very stable, and they build a good boat. The design is similar to your cobra or a champion, Randy Qualls the owner ran champions when he fished. The hull design produces the best ride, period. I was impressed with this years changes to the Legend when I saw the boat at the tackle show in Arlington.

Look at any website selling boats and you will get the feel for Tritons, they are for sale everywhere, from what I have seen they do not hold up very well. Skeeter boats are consistantly good, a little overpriced in my opinion. Champion is a good ride but after learning that Genmar buys low bid comodity materials for all their boats I would stay clear. And I used to own one and loved it. I own a Ranger now and HATE it. the boat is the worst riding boat on the market, and as for fit and finish it suxs too.

You might consider BassCat.

Re: Possible new boat help #680059 01/24/06 03:08 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
now Basscat I forgot about. And it has JD powers approval...

Re: Possible new boat help #680060 01/24/06 03:18 AM
G
Grant2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
Skeeter I was about to say I run a Bass Cat and can tell you first hand Awesome when it comes to service it's the best one phone call and what ever you need is on it's way. Just my 2 cents on this but Bass Cat is hard to beat.

Re: Possible new boat help #680061 01/24/06 02:42 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
Thanks everyone for their response(s).

Ronnie, I may take you up on that ride once I narrow down my search field a little.

The Ranger I beleive is out of my price range. Heck, they're all out of my preferred price range.

With the feedback so far on the Triton, I will knock it off the list. The one thing I did not/do not like about my Cobra is the little things. The glove compartment never did stay closed, the livewell switches are poorly designed, etc. I don't want to get in to something like that again. That part is just aggravating.

I had not considered the BassCat I guess mainly because you don't hear too much about them in the overall market. Perhaps that's a good reason for me to look at them.

Thanks again everyone. Keep the comments coming.

Re: Possible new boat help #680062 01/24/06 04:03 PM
O
Okiebug Offline
Angler
Angler
O
Jeff -

I just order my first Legend LE-21 and it should be here in March. I have my Ranger for sale. It is a great boat but Ranger has gotten out of my price range, and IMHO is not worth the extra money. Randy Qualls and Dean Smith (co-owners of Legend) know how to build a quality boat, and how to run a company. It is true the company has zero debt and will be around for a very long time. They have an open invitation for any one with questions to call them directly or feel free to stop by the factory in Midway, AR for a tour. What other boat company gives out the owners phone numbers or the owners are available to give tours?

I am sure I can work to get you a test drive and last time I talked to James at Bowie Marine he still had a couple of 2006 boats at the 2005 prices with the boat show discount still in effect. Give James a call 940-627-4242 or call me and I’ll help answer any questions you have on Legends. My cell is 817-658-9585

Re: Possible new boat help #680063 01/24/06 04:35 PM
J
JDC Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Jeff, if you ever need a ride in a Champion let me know. I spent a lot of time the past couple of years looking at boats and finally bought a new one last year. There are several good brands of boats out there, you just have to find the one that you prefer. I'm not connected to Champion in any way, just a proud owner. I also know how frustrating it can be to try to find a good demo ride. I'm running a Champion 198 with an Evinrude ETEC 225 H.O. on it if you are ever interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide