Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #6725452 10/12/11 11:30 AM
D
Daveg99 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: fiSh ZoMbiE
BP has is right IMO. I've wondered & asked the same thing myself.
Products like this will help smooth the bottom of your yak.
Mine are all rashed up too.

Also if you have the skills and cajones you can use a torch to melt the curled up plastic back down. This takes a quick hand & certainly helps if you have experience with plastics. Some have done it with success. I personally have not attempted it but would if it was real bad. Thats why i try not to look at the underside of the yak. Just makes me think too much but & be paranoid. Surfers n snow boarders use wax to increase performance also.

The wax for surf boards goes on top to create a non slip surface.

Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: Daveg99] #6725469 10/12/11 11:45 AM
L
LuvPondFishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Daveg99
Originally Posted By: fiSh ZoMbiE
BP has is right IMO. I've wondered & asked the same thing myself.
Products like this will help smooth the bottom of your yak.
Mine are all rashed up too.

Also if you have the skills and cajones you can use a torch to melt the curled up plastic back down. This takes a quick hand & certainly helps if you have experience with plastics. Some have done it with success. I personally have not attempted it but would if it was real bad. Thats why i try not to look at the underside of the yak. Just makes me think too much but & be paranoid. Surfers n snow boarders use wax to increase performance also.

The wax for surf boards goes on top to create a non slip surface.

Isn't life funny ... You wax snow skis to reduce friction and wax surfboards to increase it.

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
This might be the weirdest, most pointless post ever.

I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering fishing
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6725608 10/12/11 12:49 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
...and u can surf a yak without wax :-p

Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6725799 10/12/11 01:49 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I swear I could scratch mine with my finger nail, anyone noticed this on their coosa or maybe I just beat the cheet outa mine.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6726696 10/12/11 05:51 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
Long before I fished from a kayak, I fished, and I kayaked. Completely seperately...I guess it took a stroke of genius to combine the two, right? wink

Anyway, my kayaking was, for the most part, all whitewater related. Whitewater boats (the same rotomolded 'tupperware' as a fishing yak) take a *brutal* thrashing. They are banging and scraping down every run they make. Rotomolded plastic is ridiculously durable. There isn't a fishing kayak out there that gets punished like a whitewater boat. If your concern with the scratches is that they'll compromise the integrity of the hull...don't worry about it.

Sure, it scratches easily, and once its broken in, its going to have a patina of scratches to show off - but they're no big deal. As for the Coosa, Jackson has been making whitewater boats now for about 6 or 7 years, and the Coosa is the same construction as their ww hulls. Its all good. The scratches are part of having a rotomolded boat.

I have some boats that have been around for nearly two decades, and despite how much I've tried, I can't scratch the bottom out of 'em! Rotomolded polyethylene is **WAY** more durable than I think some people might give it credit for.

Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6727168 10/12/11 08:13 PM
F
FishR2099 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Good to hear. I got myself stuck on a tree limb through a scupper the other day in about 15 ft of water. Wasn't looking forward to jumping in to free it up, so I used my broomhandle stakeout pole to push the limb out and make my escape. Later, I thought my yak might be taking on water, seemed to be riding lower than normal. Naturally I assumed that I had punctured the hull somehow, but it turned out to be my imagination.

--------

Fish ON!
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6727221 10/12/11 08:28 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
If you put something through a scupper and really torqued on it, you might be able to bust the scupper away from the rest of the hull, but that would be due to the inherent strength of that round scupper in relation to the surrounding plastic, not the weakness of the plastic itself. Still, though, you'd probably really have to be wrenching on it to make that happen.

Not that I've never seen a welded or patched boat before, but the durability of the material is pretty darn amazing. The ease with with is scratches is fairly deceptive in that regard.

Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: Bassplastic] #6727705 10/12/11 10:28 PM
T
TG Canoes and Kayaks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Bassplastic
and the Coosa is the same construction as their ww hulls. Its all good.

I don't mean to be picky, but that's not 100% correct. Most of the Jackson WW boats have been constructed out of crosslink polyethylene, whereas all recreational/fishing yaks (including Jackson's Coosa) are made out of linear polyethylene. The molecular shape of the plastic is reflected in the name: crosslink poly has molecules that look much like the screen from a screen door while linear poly molecules are lined up like RR tracks. Crosslink is stronger, hence its use in WW yaks that are taking massive abuse. However, it's more expensive than linear poly, so in less stressfull applications (recreational/fishing yaks), linear poly is used.

That being said, Jackson just announced that, in conjunction with a linear poly manufacturing company, they have developed a newer, stronger linear poly that they will use exclusively in their WW boats for the 2012 model year. They own the exclusive rights to produce yaks with this new linear poly for one full year, at which the poly manufacturer will offer it to other boat companies.

I imagine they'll put this new linear poly through the wringer for 52 weeks, and if it holds up as advertised, we'll see it spread through the yak building community.

Last edited by TG Canoes and Kayaks; 10/12/11 10:43 PM.

Free test drives, everyday!
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6727737 10/12/11 10:33 PM
T
TG Canoes and Kayaks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Just a note, nearly all mass produced plastic kayaks are made of linear poly, from the $249 Pelican to the $2,549 Pro Angler. It just so happens that the Pelican is maybe 2-3 mm thick, while the Hobies, Natives, and Wilderness Systems of the world are molding yaks that are 8 mm thick or more.

Free test drives, everyday!
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: TG Canoes and Kayaks] #6727774 10/12/11 10:44 PM
Bassplastic Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: TG Canoes and Kayaks
Originally Posted By: Bassplastic
and the Coosa is the same construction as their ww hulls. Its all good.

I don't mean to be picky...

Not picky at all - thanks for the correction.

Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6729139 10/13/11 03:09 AM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Maybe it's just I've never had another good kayak to compare it too. Had that pelican but didn't notice it, guess because it was light and I could carry it. I really notice it on the front of this one when I pull it from the back. And that little pad on the back gets ate up pretty quick if you have to drag it across any length of concrete. Guess I need to get used to the battle scares.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6729405 10/13/11 04:50 AM
B
billmac Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Good info. I learned something from this thread.

Glad I bought a Hobie instead of a Pelican. Except when I am loading or toting of course. smile

Still learning to kayak fish with my Hobie Outback.
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6729641 10/13/11 11:45 AM
L
LuvPondFishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Great info! Always interesting to see where some of these threads go.

Wondering if there is anywhere to find out the thickness of the "plastic" for a specific boat. Not something you typically see in the specs.

Right now I have a Hobie (non-Mirage) and an OK in the stable and looking to add one more to the fleet, either a Hobie Mirage or a SINK (my wife is trying to decide). After the quality of the ride, durability is definitely one of the considerations.

Not worried if we go the Mirage route, but as we look into SINK's, which I have very little knowledge in the various products out there, I am flying blind except for steering toward "familiar" brands.

Originally Posted By: The Ninja
This might be the weirdest, most pointless post ever.

I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering fishing
Re: Can you get scratches off? [Re: cbd10pt] #6729693 10/13/11 12:12 PM
T
TexasSteve Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I now have a Jackson Coosa and I can tell the plastic is much thicker than the other kayaks I have seen. Mine has several scratches as well, but that does not worry me, I am sure it will be fine until I get something deep.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide