LoneStarCarper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Warmouth!

Score 1 more for us smart Yankees!

And ALL the smart yankees at TPWD!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/war/

Other Names
Redeye, Goggle-eye, Red-eyed Bream, Stump Knocker, Mudgapper, Mo-mouth, Morgan, Molly, Rock Bass, Open Mouth, Weed Bass, Wood Bass, Strawberry "perch", Mud Bass, Warmouth Bass
Description
The warmouth is somewhat larger than either rock bass or green sunfish (with which it is often confused) but very similar otherwise in that it is large-mouthed and heavy-bodied. Adult warmouth are dark, with mottled brown coloration. Their belly is generally golden, and males have a bright orange spot at the base of the dorsal fin. Three to five reddish-brown streaks radiate from the eyes, and the gill flaps are often red. Warmouth have three spines in the anal fin, 10 spines in the dorsal fin, and small teeth are present on the tongue. These fish range in size from 4 to10 inches (10.2 to 25 cm), but can grow to more than 12 inches (31 cm), and weigh up to 2.25 pounds (1 kg).
Life History
Young warmouth feed on zooplankton and small insects. Adults feed on insects, mollusks, and small fish. Their predators include larger fish, water snakes, turtles, and herons. Warmouth reach sexual maturity at 3 to 4 inches (7.5 to 10cm), and spawn in the spring, when water temperatures reach 71 F (21.5 C), and continuing through the summer. Males construct a disc-shaped nest by fanning their tails and removing silt and debris over nesting site. Nests are made in 1.5 to 4 feet (0.45 to 1.23 m) of water near a stump, clump of vegetation or other large, submerged object. Females produce 4,000 to 63,000 eggs during spawning season. After an incubation period of three days, the young hatch. The fry leave the nest five to six days after hatching and grow to 1 to 2 inches (25.4 to 50.8 mm) by the fall. Their life span is not known.

Warmouth are quite secretive. They seek cover in rocky banks, stumps or weeds, or near other large objects, where they can hide and wait for food. They are sight feeders. When in breeding condition, the males' eyes turn red. After the female lays her eggs, the male fertilizes the eggs and aggressively defends the nest, eggs and fry from any intruder-including other females. Warmouth hybridize (crossbreed) with bluegill and green sunfish. They can survive in polluted, low oxygenated waters where other sunfish cannot. Warmouth are often confused with rock bass. The difference between the two is in the anal fin: warmouth have three spines on the anal fin ray and rock bass have six spines.
Habitat
Lakes, ponds, swamps, and quiet areas of streams with muddy bottoms and vegetation are preferred habitat for the warmouth.
Distribution
Warmouth are found in the Great Lakes and Mississippi River basins, from western Pennsylvania to Minnesota, south to the Gulf of Mexico; and the Atlantic and Gulf drainages from the Rappahannock River in Virginia to the Rio Grande in Texas and New Mexico.
Other
Warmouth are members of the sunfish family, which includes the largemouth bass. They are also known by more colorful local names such as redeye, goggle-eye, red-eyed bream, stump knocker, mudgapper, mo-mouth, morgan, molly, rock bass, open mouth, weed bass, wood bass, strawberry "perch" and mud bass. Because warmouth hit hard and are easily caught, they are popular with some anglers. They are good to eat when caught in clean water, but because they are bottom-feeders like catfish, the flesh can have a strong flavor.

Last edited by LoneStarCarper; 08/23/11 02:51 PM.

State Certified Piscatologist

Re: What fish is this? [Re: jwilson1987] #6550230 08/23/11 02:53 PM
E
elkhunter7x6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Originally Posted By: jwilson1987
perch .....lol

+1 thumb

Re: What fish is this? [Re: jackiekennedyfishingguide] #6550393 08/23/11 03:30 PM
H
hiodon Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
always has been always will be,to us native Texans. Now yankees who knows and who cares, they think they know it all anyhow.

Now that's good advertising right there rolleyes

www.huntandfishkansas.com

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves -- Henry David Thoreau
Re: What fish is this? [Re: hiodon] #6550502 08/23/11 03:49 PM
J
James Tucker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
LOL

To the folks who actually know Jackie, he is an awesome guide and person. To those who get their feelings hurt because he calls a "perch" a "perch," well you might need to dust some of the sand off of your sensitive areas (PC version of Infantry talk)

It's a Warmouth, it's a perch, it's bait!

Re: What fish is this? [Re: elkhunter7x6] #6550569 08/23/11 04:04 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Hey lone Star Thanks for the post.I am a native Texan and I use to be an Ignorant Texan before I was introduced to the Word SPECIES.Some people don`t care about things like that but I do because I want to know what I am talking about.People that make this topic a Texas and Yankee thing have issues that are inbred and will no doubt pass it own to their kids in hopes that The South will Rise Again.Sound Familiar?Being from the south I really hate that but what can you do?Some of them probably have`nt even seen one so, Could you please Post a Picture of a real PERCH for those in the dark.I don`t mean to offend anyone but if you are offended then you are probably guilty of the affore mentioned way of thinking.

Fishbonz

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: What fish is this? [Re: James Tucker] #6550678 08/23/11 04:32 PM
H
hiodon Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted By: Fish Hauler's Guide Service
LOL

To the folks who actually know Jackie, he is an awesome guide and person. To those who get their feelings hurt because he calls a "perch" a "perch," well you might need to dust some of the sand off of your sensitive areas (PC version of Infantry talk)

It's a Warmouth, it's a perch, it's bait, it's ignorance!

I fixed it for you.

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves -- Henry David Thoreau
Re: What fish is this? [Re: hiodon] #6550711 08/23/11 04:41 PM
J
James Tucker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Dude, don't be so sensitive.

You wanna get really picky start calling that perch by its latin name (Lepomis Gulosus.) I do not really care.

It is just a small fish, that most Texans refer to as a perch. Most folks out there do not care what you call it, it is still a perch. To be offended by a local name for a fish is silly. You are showing snobbish ways in calling a VERY respected guide (Jackie) ignorant. If your calling me ignorant, that's fine. I can call them any darned thing I want. Unlike you, Princess, I have paid my dues.

To me, it's just something legal to use as bait. I catch them out of a need to have something alive on the end of a hook.

Jackie came in here and was ribbing y'all just a little bit. He can't help it if panties got into a wad.

Re: What fish is this? [Re: James Tucker] #6550727 08/23/11 04:44 PM
H
hiodon Offline
Angler
Angler
H
You do your thing, I'll do mine. I don't care what you call a fish. Ignorance is bliss. I got my panties in a wad because jackiekennedyguideservice said "Now yankees who knows and who cares, they think they know it all anyhow".

And my two cents, I'd never consider hiring a guide that was rude on a public forum and I'd certainly never consider hiring a fishing guide that can't identify a fish to species. Good luck with your business.

Last edited by hiodon; 08/23/11 04:45 PM.

Re: What fish is this? [Re: jackiekennedyfishingguide] #6550792 08/23/11 04:57 PM
F
fwbret/txfishes Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
Originally Posted By: Fish Hauler's Guide Service
Originally Posted By: jkayser
this is texas that theirs a perch

+1
Good bait!

always has been always will be,to us native Texans. Now yankees who knows and who cares, they think they know it all anyhow.

Sorry,

Sunfish.

Ignorance does not equal native Texan.

Nor is "ignorant" a bad word. I'm ignorant of billions of things, one of which is catching hybrid striped bass or redfish regularly.

Knowing what a fish is, and calling it by the correct name is not snobbish, (or yankee) it is simply correct, nothing more.

All Joking aside, the OP asked what it was, giving him the information asked for is prudent.

Re: What fish is this? [Re: fwbret/txfishes] #6551662 08/23/11 08:15 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
I went fishing and caught a few sensitve people who object to the word ignorant. All Ignorant means is you don`t know the facts about something.If you read my post you would have noticed I put myself in that catagory mr.So if I hurt your little feelings im sorry but WRONG is WRONG whether you are a guide or not.I mentioned also that some people don`t care about such things so you can call it what ever The Heck you want.The Lavon Fisher asked "what fish this is" not what it`s called in Texas.I was answering the Question for him Don`t get upset with the truth man.It shows a chinch in your Armour

Fishbonz

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: What fish is this? [Re: Fishbonz] #6551709 08/23/11 08:24 PM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I was poking fun and some took it wrong.
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but do know fish and fishing. I know the right name but also know what it's slang name is.
Its hot, cool off and enjoy life, you will live longer.
I have to be kinda ignorant I lived on Houston School in Lancaster for a dozen years.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: What fish is this? [Re: jackiekennedyfishingguide] #6552174 08/23/11 09:47 PM
J
jwilson1987 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Dont feel bad. I would love to see what all these "smart" people would call everyday tools different names than their correct ones violin . By the way thanks for your service. flag

Re: What fish is this? [Re: Fishbonz] #6552316 08/23/11 10:09 PM
Clay Shipe Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Thats a muscle head

Lake Fork Trophy Lures www.lftlures.com
Impulse Fishing Rods www.impulserods.com
Anglers Pro Tackle www.anglersprotackle.com
Rod Sox www.rodsox.com
Re: What fish is this? [Re: Fishbonz] #6552327 08/23/11 10:12 PM
R
roadtrip Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
I went fishing and caught a few sensitve people who object to the word ignorant. All Ignorant means is you don`t know the facts about something.It shows a chinch in your Armour
Fishbonz

It's supposed to be "chink", not chinch.

Re: What fish is this? [Re: James Tucker] #6552434 08/23/11 10:38 PM
K
kesagami Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
If Jackie says its a perch then its a perch. If you want to catch catfish go with him, I'll be going again this winter.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide