Forums59
Topics1,047,499
Posts14,107,442
Members144,388
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: yakjoe] #6470554 08/02/11 08:36 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Now I get it!

A distraction, and you didn't see that power boat barreling down on you.

Yep, everyone really needs to wear that PFD.

Just one more cast!

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: Jimbo] #6470599 08/02/11 08:48 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Lake Lewisville is particularly dangerous.

So I've heard.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: District Paddle] #6470803 08/02/11 09:31 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I've noticed my PFD getting in the way of my rods too! No wait. Thats my fat gut! Nevermind!

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: yakjoe] #6470987 08/02/11 10:02 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: yakjoe
Not so cute chicks in bikins can be a real hazard as well, my ex wife for one, just a warning out there.

HAHA!! Priceless!!

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: JJ4MEL] #6471313 08/02/11 11:12 PM
T
texguppy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Come on, we don't want to make this a "PFD or ticket" issue for the TWPD. It's about personal responsibility too. We all know the risks involved. It is up to the individual to decide.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: texguppy] #6471334 08/02/11 11:19 PM
D
Daveg99 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Its like the helmet on the motorcycle thing only less risky. There is a time and place for a PFD. I put mine on when I ran three tier rapids on the devils river because it was pretty rough and wanted padding for if I bounced off some rocks. maybe when I lose some weight l wear it. I do wear it when its really cold out too but thats just to keep warmer.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: Daveg99] #6471590 08/03/11 12:22 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: texguppy
Come on, we don't want to make this a "PFD or ticket" issue for the TWPD. It's about personal responsibility too.

Totally agree.

We all know the risks involved.

I agree to a certain extent. I think most people know the risks involved, but there are definitely people out there who haven't done any research or considered all of the angles. When you get your drivers license, you have take classes and study vehicular safety. When most people buy a kayak, they aren't told anything accept "thanks for shopping with us."

Thats why I think its important to reiterate the protocol from time to time. It may save someones life. People come here to learn, and its important that we provide responsible information.

If I have had this conversation once, it was one time too many:

Me - "You taking off without your PFD?"

Them - "I don't need it. I am an excellent swimmer."

Me - "What if you slip and hit your head?"

Them - "Well, I have you here to save me."

Me - "Don't count on it."

smile

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: District Paddle] #6471636 08/03/11 12:36 AM
G
gotreal formerly known as getreal Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G

most fatalities regarding canoes and kayaks are the result of not wearing a PFD. The American Canoe Association reports that possibly 70 % of paddling fatalities might have been avoided had the paddler been wearing their PFD.

Last edited by gotreal formerly known as getreal; 08/03/11 12:46 AM.

yup

if ye aint been skunked, ye aint been fishing! <<al einstene
IAMCOUNTRY
texas made lures. getcha some

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: District Paddle] #6473539 08/03/11 03:01 PM
M
Mark Ray Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: District Paddle
Come on, we don't want to make this a "PFD or ticket" issue for the TWPD. It's about personal responsibility too.

Totally agree.

I agree to a certain extent. I think most people know the risks involved, but there are definitely people out there who haven't done any research or considered all of the angles. When you get your drivers license, you have take classes and study vehicular safety. When most people buy a kayak, they aren't told anything accept "thanks for shopping with us."

Thats why I think its important to reiterate the protocol from time to time. It may save someones life. People come here to learn, and its important that we provide responsible information.

smile

This is why I don't fish with other people.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: District Paddle] #6473577 08/03/11 03:10 PM
S
spiny norman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: District Paddle

Totally agree.

smile

Since he is expecting you to risk your own life saving him from himself, I don't think it unreasonable of you to ask him to pay for one of your life insurance premiums, (in advance of launching of course).

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: spiny norman] #6473830 08/03/11 04:19 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Spiny is correct. Set that guy straight! if he dont want to listen then DONT FISH WITH HIM. lots of people drown in the summertime. they didnt hit there heads on anything. tell him you dont go in after folks until they stop thrashing eeks

concerning PFDs, i keep the minimum required PFD in my truck
box at all times. for a buddy who forgot his? yea that too.
but mainly because i know myself. yes, i have been know to leave without one.
at least i have something that floats well. my PFD is behind my back, in the front
of yak or under my legs if not being worn. but its always in reach.

i got on a buddys boat the other day with MY jacket. He says
i have plenty you wont need that! eeks...more famous last words.
s,m,l dont fit me. i wear xl. and i take mine cause i know
it works.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #6474087 08/03/11 05:16 PM
T
texguppy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Bottom line is, you dont have to wear it. Just have it accessible. You do not have to save anyone for their decisions.

Whats next, for the gtg a pfd has to be worn at all times. If not, you'll be sent to the cove and fish alone, lol!

Like someone else said, just like a motorcycle helme.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: texguppy] #6474306 08/03/11 05:48 PM
D
Daveg99 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
a lot of the tournaments require you to wear a PFD all the time.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: texguppy] #6474349 08/03/11 05:53 PM
C
CityByTheSeaCitizen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
If I fell out of my kayak, what would I hit my head on other than water (or my yak)? I think my noggin can withstand a fall from a yak.

I wear my pfd when I am alone, when I am in water over 3' deep, when waves are really rough, and when it is really really cold.

Other than that, I usually sit on it. or have it between my back and seat.

I have fished with people who were so anal about it, that they put on their lifejacket as we approached the boat launch.

As for shoes, my vibrum 5 fingers gave out pretty quickly. They were good though, but get the ones with the closed top. The fila 4 finger shoes look better to me, but never tried them. Crocks suck. I usually just wear an old pair of tennis shoes. If I am around oysters (or stingray water), I wear wading boots.

Re: Few things I can't stand about kayak fishing so far! [Re: Daveg99] #6474360 08/03/11 05:54 PM
C
CityByTheSeaCitizen Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: Daveg99
a lot of the tournaments require you to wear a PFD all the time.

I have seen powerboat tourneys where they make you have a PFD on if the engine is cranked. You don't have to have it on all the time.

I have only fished in a few yak tourneys and they didn't have squat for requirements.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide