Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: Bass&More] #6303402 06/16/11 07:55 PM
W
WTXHooker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
de

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: crankn101] #6303469 06/16/11 08:07 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: crankn101
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Originally Posted By: crankn101

JVD was there from day 1, Denny was trying to flex and was shut down.

Yep, shut down for the win.

No doubt, but Denny was sweating him pretty bad or he would have never called out JVD on this perceived BS.

Mark you seem pretty level headed. What did JVD do wrong? Besides blanking on Thurs...

That is a tough call and the reason why I have not really picked a side so to speak. No one really knows if anything was said backstage or even on the water between the two. There are a lot of details that no one really knows that may help us all make an informed judgement. I would prefer and even expect them to deal with it man to man like adults and work out a compromise away from the public. Maybe they tried, maybe one told the other to screw off. That is my basic point. At the very least though I think JVD violated something that most of the Elite guys respect and that is basic courtesy. Because of his stature on the trail at this point and the fact he was clashing with a legend I think he was destined to lose face in public perception. I also would guess that being 20 something with the last name of VanDam he is gonna be under more scrutiny in his successes and failures as well as how he carries himself. He also probably feels more pressure than the average rookie to prove himself. It all adds up to where JVD probably should have thought out his actions and comments better. At the same time DB should have tried to handle it better too. Maybe he did and JVD did not respond well so he took it public.
I think if looking at how the rules are written that JVD did nothing wrong but often its the unwritten rules that define someone and how they will be perceived. Case in point, I work for the FD. We are not a department that hazes new guys or gets silly with that BS. But you damn well better believe that new guys have to know their place the first year or two. say at shift change we only have 8 chairs at the table but there are 9 of us. He better be the one standing. He also better be the one offering to do the lowest jobs on the totem pole. Chances are we are gonna do them right there with him but its all part of paying dues and respecting those that come before you.
I know fishing is a competitive sport with big money on the line but if we stop respecting and honoring the past then we will lose a lot of the things that help make it great. Common courtesy and respect cannot take a backseat to competition.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: kluke] #6303543 06/16/11 08:27 PM
S
superfamous Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: kluke
i would have said something to you if you cut in front of me when i was fishing down a bank. I think if you just have to fish the same bank im on at least come behind me, dont jump ahead and make me fish your used water. I am not the type of person to bother someone else while they are fishing though. I will turn around and go find them somewhere else, like a good fisherman can do.

I haven't been out on a boat much to fish so forgive my naivety as I don't mean to flame, but I don't really understand this thinking I guess.

So let's say a bank of trees on a public lake is 500 yards long, and you're about 50 yards into it when I pull up. Are you saying I should start behind you and wait for you to fish the final 450 yards? What's a safe distance to leapfrog you without you saying something to me? 100 yards? 200 yards? 400? Coming from mostly bank fishing where folks are right on top of each other, I have hard time seeing how someone could theoretically claim a few hundred yards of bank as "theirs". Giving someone the respect of a wide berth or staying away while they fish a particular piece of cover - of course, no problem, but the bank claiming I haven't quite figured out yet.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: Mark Perry] #6303548 06/16/11 08:27 PM
C
crankn101 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Good points and I agree with most. My point of view could be clouded by my dislike of DB.

I feel that since JVD was there on day one its fair game to continue fishing that same area, but its not OK to move closer to DB/fish DBs specific spot.

Now if JVD just happened to see the day 1 leader then move in on him for day 2 that would ridiculous.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: Mark Perry] #6303555 06/16/11 08:29 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
You got to honor the elders!

Pay your dues!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: superfamous] #6303565 06/16/11 08:31 PM
C
crankn101 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: superfamous
Originally Posted By: kluke
i would have said something to you if you cut in front of me when i was fishing down a bank. I think if you just have to fish the same bank im on at least come behind me, dont jump ahead and make me fish your used water. I am not the type of person to bother someone else while they are fishing though. I will turn around and go find them somewhere else, like a good fisherman can do.

I haven't been out on a boat much to fish so forgive my naivety as I don't mean to flame, but I don't really understand this thinking I guess.

So let's say a bank of trees on a public lake is 500 yards long, and you're about 50 yards into it when I pull up. Are you saying I should start behind you and wait for you to fish the final 450 yards? What's a safe distance to leapfrog you without you saying something to me? 100 yards? 200 yards? 400? Coming from mostly bank fishing where folks are right on top of each other, I have hard time seeing how someone could theoretically claim a few hundred yards of bank as "theirs". Giving someone the respect of a wide berth or staying away while they fish a particular piece of cover - of course, no problem, but the bank claiming I haven't quite figured out yet.

If it was 400 yards I would try to fish from the other side towards the other anglers or even jump in front a couple hundred yards. With a hundred yards I would just follow him and catch the fish he missed.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: bigbassbritten] #6303576 06/16/11 08:34 PM
E
evolution44 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
Originally Posted By: bigbassbritten
Let me make sure I understand:

1)He found the area on his own;
2)He fished the area on Thursday;
3)He fished the area on Friday;
4)He fished the area on Saturday;
5)He fished the area on Sunday;
6)He had legitimate shot of winning after Friday and Saturday;
6)He was not on top of Brauer.

If I am correct on the above, then the unwritten code is a bunch of carp. He had as much a right as anyone. Just because the leader is in the area doesn't mean you just abandon what you have been doing so he can win when you have a shot to win as well.

Now I preface the above on area, not spot. IF this was say a 50 yard stretch, an isolated hump, etc. then I could see the unwritten code being viable. Also, if JVD had absolutely no shot at winning, then I could see the unwritten code being viable. Otherwise, as I understand it, I have no issue with what he did.

+1

I think the key words here are "unwritten rule". If it's "unwritten", I'm on fish and I can't get disqualified, then to hell with the grumpy old bastard thinking I'm on "his" water or spot...I'm fishin it. If someone has a problem, let them file a protest and put it in the hands of the tourney director. Those guys are fishing for a lot of cash...IMO, someone's hurt feelings or code of ethics shouldn't be a factor at that level.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: evolution44] #6303651 06/16/11 08:54 PM
txwhitetail Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I don't think Denny would have said anything if there wasn't anything to say.

You don't zero the first day then try to fish on top of one of the legends that is leading the tourney on day two. Give me a break if he knew right where those fish were on day one he would t have zeroed. Denny showed him exactly where they were on day one and jvd got there first on day two.

Little respect goes a long way at that level.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: txwhitetail] #6303692 06/16/11 09:07 PM
Z
ZigZag Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Happens often on the ponds they fish I'm told by a few that fish the series. Seems like they all get squared away pretty quick.
Story here is the 'Van Dam' headline. Anyone remember George Cochran, Jimmy Mize, in Florida a few years back? Or Swindle and Zell at the bridge, (can't remember the venue) or maybe Skeet comin' in on Biffle at Lay? Just a part of the game. Only a headline if the right folks are involved. Kinda a Dale Earnhardt Jeff Gordon type situation. Sellin' tickets...stirrin the sauce.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: TIM CLINE] #6303720 06/16/11 09:12 PM
P
Progator James Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Back when the Elite series fished Lake Lewisville, a buddy & me were out fishing 1 day of the tourney. A spot we have fished for years. I looked over & Denney was turning around to leave. I motioned to him to come in & fish, we moved way out of the way against some docks. As he started to leave he came by & started yelling at us about fishing his spot..What????? We had a brief discussion & he realized he had us confused with someone else. He said somebody watched him practice & everytime he went to a spot they were alreadt there. That would piss me off too, but I would make sure I had the right person before I just started yelling at people. I lost a lot of respect for that guy that day.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: TIM CLINE] #6303867 06/16/11 09:51 PM
B
billclay Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I like Denny Brauer, but he is a loudmouth. He should have acted like the great veteran that he is, taken the high road. JVD is trying to make it, and I can't blame him for that. Official or unofficial, rules are rules, but this has been handled poorly.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: billclay] #6304209 06/16/11 11:28 PM
G
Grant2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
Well if there is an unwritten rule about stay away from the leader then Byran and Martins missed it on Falcon... Same thing here stand your ground or get pushed around JVD is out there for the same reason as DB he broke no rules so what's the problem. Just b/c DB may be a veteran gives him no more right to a body of water than me or you... He should have just waited or moved on or better yet jump in like all the rest and start casting. Do you think JVD would have done the same thing to DB if he moved in on his spot?

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: Grant2] #6304251 06/16/11 11:41 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Gosh there is a lot of people that dont seem to understand what common courtisey is

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: Fish Killer] #6304275 06/16/11 11:48 PM
txwhitetail Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Gosh there is a lot of people that dont seem to understand what common courtisey is

Yep...

Should tell you something when someone zeros and then the next day they are on the sweet spot the tournament leader was on.

Re: Denny Brauer/JVD Flare Up [Re: Cameron] #6304280 06/16/11 11:50 PM
Jay Kendrick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Cameron @ LFM
It is just fishing...

+1

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide