Forums59
Topics1,042,356
Posts14,016,491
Members144,281
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: rglass2323] #6225513 05/25/11 02:49 AM
J
jbpest Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
What about my elderly Uncle and disabled friends that can no longer get up and down the river anyother way. This bill will take away their ability to fish the river that they have fished all their lives. These people can't Kayak or canoe and they can't pull john boats up and down or even wade the river. This is not fair to take way something they Love and have done all their lives.

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: jbpest] #6225591 05/25/11 03:03 AM
D
Dustin28 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D

What about my elderly Uncle and disabled friends that can no longer get up and down the river anyother way. This bill will take away their ability to fish the river that they have fished all their lives. These people can't Kayak or canoe and they can't pull john boats up and down or even wade the river. This is not fair to take way something they Love and have done all their lives.

+1

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: Dustin28] #6225987 05/25/11 04:39 AM
LoneStarCarper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
When I see a bunch of people posting on a hot topic that all have low post counts it makes me noidea

State Certified Piscatologist

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: Dustin28] #6226156 05/25/11 08:37 AM
A
Archie Bunker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Dustin28
I don't think you would like it if they banned you from fishing in your kayak would you.

I'd say that's a less than gloriously impressive comparison. I've never seen yakkers create any problems....well, anywhere. In contrast, I've seen acts of inconsiderate lunacy by power and airboaters on the Brazos that had me seriously considering stern retaliation. I'll never understand why so many people are such pigs.

I don't own a yak; I'm a powerboater. I think people should be able to do whatever they want so long as they don't step on anyone's toes. But I hate Harleys, and I hate airboats. They're way to freakin' loud. People should not have to right to drive many other people nuts in pursuit of their recreation.

Originally Posted By: LoneStarCarper
When I see a bunch of people posting on a hot topic that all have low post counts it makes me noidea

Looking the thread over, I see nothing like you describe. The post counts look to cover a wide range. There are reasons for that, though:
1) New laws often make people who don't post much reach for the ol' keyboard.
2) Many of us, especially those who have a healthy woman nearby, are not inclined to spend untold hours staring at a monitor and making thousands of largely-inane posts.

Exactly what is it you are worried about or suspicious of? I'm curious.

I wouldn't, myself, never join a religion that restricted my diet; see, I don't want to get into heaven that way.
-William Fontaine de la Tour D'Haute Rive
Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery] #6226384 05/25/11 12:28 PM
J
James Tucker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: BullMonty
I kinda like it just because of the fact that last time I was out there on my Kayak I lost count off how many A-holes in powerboats came blazing past me at full throttle with trim all the way down. some of them withing about 15 to 20 feet. I didnt lose count of how many actually slowed down as they passed. 2... lol

Kayaks can get into and out of areas slowly that larger boats can not.
I have been on a stretch of river in a jet boat that you could not come off of plane for at least half a mile. We have had to blow by kayaks sitting in a bend of that river. We just have yell sorry as we go past. It is either that or get hung up in the shallows.
Paddle boat guys need to understand another thing. Sometimes it is better for the boat to not slow down than to come off plane. Don't be so sensitive.

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: James Tucker] #6228105 05/25/11 07:47 PM
C
casterbuster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
What does post count have to do with anything, so what how many times he's posted... He brings up a valid concern and just because he has a low post count means he is not to heard.

Whatever, Dustin congrats for speaking up and JBpest good for you.

I don't care if it's your first post or your 9000+ it shouldn't matter.

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: casterbuster] #6228248 05/25/11 08:21 PM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I run rivers a lot with a power boat, I speak from experience.

If you are a kayaker sitting in a shallow area of a river, 6-24" deep then you need to understand something about the way a power boat works.

When they slow down to "pay you respect" like you think they should they are going to tear the lower unit or off their motor or they are going to rip a hole in the bottom of their boat. That is the physics of the situation, don't try to argue the point that they shouldn't be going that fast, boats draft less when on plane, it is the only way to pass some areas.

Also, to those of you that have actually been on a river when an airboat or a power boat is approaching you its not like you can not hear it, especially an airboat. I humbly suggest moving to one side or the other so that they can pass. I understand that you have the right to be there just as much as they do, but you also have just as much obligation to be courteous as they do. Banning power boats is most certainly not the right way to handle this. Here is a hypothetical example, although not an exact match:
If you hear a train coming you don't sit in the middle of the tracks and try to argue the point of who is right at the time, especially when you have ample time to move out of the way. True enough, the train has the right of way on train tracks, this is just an illustration aid. You should also consider that like trains, big boats don't stop on a dime, and in a bend they can't see you in the way which is why I suggest taking action first since in many situations you are going to be the first person aware of the other.

For my part, I know the areas I travel well, as long as it is safe for me to get off plane and go by slowly you can bet I will. I know it stinks when someone rides by going fast and acts like you don't matter and I don't like it any more than the next guy. The big picture here is that rivers pose a unique situation, and both sides need to be taken into account.

Last edited by Texas Megafish Adventures; 05/26/11 12:18 AM. Reason: speeln'

http://www.texasmegafishadventures.com
Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
dawson@texasmegafishadventures.com
Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: Droyhef] #6228970 05/25/11 10:29 PM
K
KG68 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Sorry brother but I strongly disagree with your post. If you cannot slow down and be respectful of others then you don't belong there. Kayaks and canoes or limited to back water bays and rivers for protection from speedboats and open water hazards. They don't have excess to the rest of the lake so why go to their shallow water areas and hassle them? I don't know why I asked because I know what most will answer. Because it's your right too and I can't argue that. That's why laws have to be passed.

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: KG68] #6229184 05/25/11 11:15 PM
D
Dustin28 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
What does a low post count have to do with anything? Maybe some of us are new to the forum, or just havn't had time to post much, or feel like we need to voice our opinion on a critical situation like this. Personally, my great grandparents have lived a fortune bend since at least the forties. You can imagine how many fishin stories iv heard lol. I remember as a kid how much i would look forward to getting out on the river in our boat. What would this do to all the other children who never get the opportunity to get on the river in a boat? Bill 408 to me just seems complety absurd, considering one woman (Alice Walton) Wants it to pass. There are very few areas where there are houses on the river where this bill is taking effect. So i don't see how noise can be an issue.

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: Dustin28] #6229231 05/25/11 11:25 PM
H
hooksetmafia Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
If this is the case I think they need to start registering all the canoes and kayaks just like every other boat owner has to. Since they enjoy the same waters as we do they should pay the same. Now they are setting up legislation with bills to keep motorized boats out. Sounds to me like a bunch of green peace folks trying to enjoy these waters at our expense. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: hooksetmafia] #6229266 05/25/11 11:33 PM
C
CWCW Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Man, all i know is that the title of this post scared me when i saw it! eek

2009 Tracker PT 170 TX
Mercury 50hp
Lowrance X125
Lowrance X50
Motorguide 46 TM
Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: KG68] #6229294 05/25/11 11:39 PM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I agree that people in the shallows need to be left alone on LAKES.

On rivers which is where this topic is based, shallows and deep water come and go as you travel along, some places may be 20' deep while others will be 6" deep.

Rivers around here are usually 20-50 yards wide.

By your reasoning if I can't get threw an area without coming off plain I shouldn't be there. The reason this law is being passed is monetary, not safety concern.

It is already illegal to get within a certain distance of other fisherman or you can be considered harassing sportsmen. It is also already illegal to operate a boat in an unsafe manner. If you are going to sit in the middle of a 30 yard wide section of river you are forcing anyone who comes by to get within a close distance of you, even if they slow down to idle speed. I would think that staying there could be argued as hindering safe navigation. Got to find some way to get along in tight spaces, or nobody gets to play and have fun.

Last edited by Texas Megafish Adventures; 05/25/11 11:46 PM.

http://www.texasmegafishadventures.com
Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
dawson@texasmegafishadventures.com
Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: Droyhef] #6230552 05/26/11 04:05 AM
K
KG68 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Good reasoning with what you said and I can't argue with that. I think the argument in this case is probably excessive noise related. I've never owned or even rode in a jet boat or airboat but from experience know that some or louder than others and some or downright annoying to everyone within hearing distance. Can that not be controlled at least somewhat? I have been around jetboats that seem to have a switch and at times they run fairly quite but at times or extremely loud and annoying to everyone in the area. If boat owners do not control excessive noise from boats in an area it will be controlled by laws. That's just how this world works and once it happens it's not likely to change.

Last edited by KG68; 05/26/11 04:10 AM.
Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: KG68] #6230657 05/26/11 04:38 AM
T
TEH Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
The jet boats that everybody in palo pinto county use in the river are two stroke or four stroke motors. They are no louder than any outboard motor.

Re: Banning motor boats on the brazos river! [Re: hooksetmafia] #6231128 05/26/11 12:40 PM
ssmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
i will probly get hammered for this but here goes like the most things in life anymore the people that foot the bills for the govt. by paying boats sales tax and registration fees end up with the short end of the stick like if you fish inside the state parks you dont have to buy a fishing license .

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide