Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lake Tyler #6132251 05/01/11 05:13 PM
SGIBSON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Has anyone heard about a meeting that the city is having about the Hydrilla on the lake? I was told they were going to have a meeting about this and it is opened to the public. If so I wish all of us bass fisherman would get together and go to this meeting and voice our opinion on this....

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Tyler [Re: SGIBSON] #6132285 05/01/11 05:26 PM
R
RangerP Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Let us know what you find out.

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: SGIBSON] #6132505 05/01/11 06:29 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: SGIBSON
Has anyone heard about a meeting that the city is having about the Hydrilla on the lake? I was told they were going to have a meeting about this and it is opened to the public. If so I wish all of us bass fisherman would get together and go to this meeting and voice our opinion on this....

Email:
Richard.Ott@tpwd.state.tx.us (Texas Parks and Wildlife Department district fisheries biologist)
or call
Greg Morgan (903) 531-1241 -(this guy is over the City of Tyler Water Utilities and is the one that has the hydrilla sprayed)

One of those two can tell you if there is a meeting..

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: Fast Lane] #6132585 05/01/11 06:50 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20110428/NEWS08/110429706

Tyler City Council Adopts Lake Tyler Master Plan
By JACQUE HILBURN-SIMMONS
Staff Writer

Nature trails, bike paths, a new corporate gathering center and plenty of fun are envisioned for Lake Tyler, according to a master plan adopted Wednesday by the Tyler City Council.

The new Lake Tyler Master Plan prescribes treatments for the area that can transform it into a destination for eco-tourism and destination for recreation.

We have a jewel, Councilman Sam Mezayek said. This plan can shine that jewel up.

Adoption paves the way for the city to launch short-term and long-range planning for Lake Tyler, Lake Tyler East and surrounding properties owned by Tyler Water Utilities.

We've been at this project almost two years, City Manager Mark McDaniel said.

City staff, consultants and stakeholders culled through dozens of suggestions gleaned from meetings, surveys, mail-outs and neighborhood chats to find common ground.

Fort Worth-based Freese and Nichols, Inc. used the information to draft the plan, assisted by Planning Concepts, a Tyler urban planning firm, and the Leadership Roundtable, comprised of civic leaders and stakeholders.

The completed plan consists of 19 recommendations and 60 sub-recommendations that center on water quality, citizen benefits, city-property owner partnerships, recreation opportunities and other issues pertinent to the area.

I saw this study as a big balancing act, Freese and Nichols consultant Murphy Parks said. There were obviously competing interests at the lake what we have on the whole is agreeable to the stakeholders.

Consultant Dan Sefko said the Lake Tyler Master Plan can guide development guide through the next decade and beyond.

There is a church, a camp and petroleum club and we want to make sure they are successful, he said. We want to make sure the things that are around them contribute to that success.

The master plan calls for managing aquatic vegetation, preserving city-owned land at the tributaries, expanding water quality sampling, increasing field monitoring and inspecting oil and gas well, records show.

Attention is also suggested for issues surrounding sewer service, erosion, sediment, pesticides, timber, water elevations, signage, development and public access.

Mark Priestner with Planning Concepts said efforts were made to examine issues that can improve existing amenities and promote new ones.

Everybody who has been to Lake Tyler knows what a gem it is, he said. We want to protect it, but also promote it as a regional asset.

The plan recommends redevelopment at Lake Tyler Marina and Hill Creek recreation area.

Chapman Park seems to hold the most potential, recommending areas for hiking, bird watching and launching canoes or kayaks, consultants said.

Priestner suggested the creation of a corporate retreat center in the bluffs overlooking the picturesque lakeside surroundings.

It would have a tree-house feel, he said. The proximity to Lake Tyler Marina could make it great.

A trail system is proposed for the east lake, and tributaries are to remain natural to serve as natural filtration, according to the master plan.

Probably the strongest thread in all of this is that everyone acknowledged these lakes are the city's primary source of drinking water, Parks said.

Increased sampling and monitoring is recommended to make sure the proposed development and reuse do not negatively impact water quality.

Hydrilla came up very often, he said. It's an important topic.

Treatment of hydrilla, described as an aquatic weed, should be pursued as needed.

Lakeside residents who desire more treatment should be provided with a list of qualified providers, the plan stated.

Tyler Water Utilities manager Greg Morgan said he was comfortable with the plan's components, saying, I think this makes great strides in preserving water quality.

Councilman Jason Wright questioned funding sources.

Public private partnerships and redevelopment of the marina are also possible funding sources, the city manager said.

As another funding option, the city may also forgo any new lease agreements to develop and sell property at market rates, McDaniel said.

Many Lake Tyler residents own their homes, but lease the land from the city on a perpetual lease agreement, city records show. Properties around Lake Tyler East are generally privately owned.

The city receives about $55,000 a year for the residential leases, Susan Guthrie, communications director, said. Some people pay as little as $80 a year to lease their property while some pay as high as $750 a year.

No drastic changes are suggested for existing lease agreements, but the city may assess special fees to cover issues such as water quality testing for aerobic sewer systems, Mezayek said.

David Stoner, who operates Lake Tyler Marina and R.V. Park, was the lone voice Wednesday opposing the plan's adoption.

Stoner said he took over the lease for the park in 2005 and opposes the recommended two-week maximum stay for campers.

Park stays range from a single day to several months or longer.

No other R.V. park in the state of Texas operates that way, Stoner said. The marina is not self-supportive six months out of the year without R.V. parking.

About one dozen roundtable members attended Wednesday's meeting to demonstrate unity for the project

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: SGIBSON] #6132605 05/01/11 06:56 PM
R
Roy P. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
why does it matter if they spray or not? would the city NOT spray just because a bunch of us bass fisherman attended a meeting? seems like they would listen to the people that are paying there salaries (home owners and taxable interest) than several fisherman.

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: Roy P.] #6132652 05/01/11 07:12 PM
SGIBSON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
When I talk to Greg Morgan last yr about them spraying the lake he told me that NO Bass Fisherman has ever came to a city meeting and voiced there opinions on this. So how do we know if it will help or not if we don't try????

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: SGIBSON] #6132750 05/01/11 07:45 PM
C
cantcatch5 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Good point.

I could be wrong but I thought several fisherman were invited to attend a meeting on aquatic vegetation management on Lake Tyler last year. I thought that Razorback here on the forum was in attendance as well as several others. I will e-mail him tomorrow and see if what I am remembering is correct.

Jason

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: cantcatch5] #6132769 05/01/11 07:52 PM
SGIBSON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Sound good cantcatch5
Thanks

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: SGIBSON] #6132833 05/01/11 08:18 PM
S
Skeeterag99 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Let em spray, please oh please dont put grass carp in it. The spraying actually helped me this year and concentrated the fish more.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lake Tyler [Re: Skeeterag99] #6135699 05/02/11 02:32 PM
M
McLovin’ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I would recommend everyone go that can make it...we didnt't voice our opinions or educate people on the council of the effects of grass carp in Jacksonville...and we all know how that turned out.
If you let Richard Ott educate the council, Tyler east will look like a muddy hoofprint in the very near future.

Thanks for the info Shane.
Please keep us posted

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: SGIBSON] #6135747 05/02/11 02:43 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted By: SGIBSON
When I talk to Greg Morgan last yr about them spraying the lake he told me that NO Bass Fisherman has ever came to a city meeting and voiced there opinions on this. So how do we know if it will help or not if we don't try????

If he said that it's...well, I'll just say it's not true. I attended a meeting at the Petroleum Club last year with Greg Morgan, Richard Ott, Steve Knight, a couple of other TP&WD employees, and others. I was there to represent my bass club and fishermen in general. Another fisherman who lives on the lake was there as well. We let the city and TP&WD know that while we understand that fishermen are not the only stakeholders in Lake Tyler, we believe their interests should be protected as well. I specifically stated over and over that most of the fishermen I know want at least some hydrilla in the lake.

So any statement about no fishermen ever showing up and expressing their opinions at these meetings is hogwash...

Last edited by Razorback; 05/02/11 02:44 PM.
Re: Lake Tyler [Re: Razorback] #6135784 05/02/11 02:50 PM
SGIBSON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Razorback...that's what he told me but if they have a meeting again about the grass and u hear about it please let me know bc I will go to the meeting with u and voice my opinion on this.
Thanks

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: SGIBSON] #6195647 05/17/11 10:35 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
The City is going to spray Lake Tyler East on May 23, 2011..

Re: Lake Tyler [Re: Fast Lane] #6195721 05/17/11 11:01 PM
W
wackEmaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Thats a shame.
Tyler is never going to produce that share-a lunker if they keep killing it off. There is a lot in there so hopefully they wont get it all and dont put grass carp in there

Mat Frentress - Owner
www.trinitycustomrods.com
903-520-8396
Like us on Facebook
Re: Lake Tyler [Re: wackEmaster] #6195891 05/17/11 11:52 PM
SGIBSON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Fast Lane r they going to do like they did last yr? Spray 200ft off the shore?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide