Page 1 of 2 1 2
Night fishing at Port A. #6027135 04/04/11 02:01 AM
B
BulldogRon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Taking first trip to Port A in June and taking one 12 hour trip deep sea trip. Want to know were to fish in the evenings and at night. Will be there 5 days and yes will hang out on the beach some but can't stand not to be fishing if there is water near by. Are there lighted piers to fish at night and what can you catch in the middle of June.

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: BulldogRon] #6028167 04/04/11 12:47 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
http://www.portaransas.org/

Lots of piers, jetties, backwater bays and surf.

Mike
Buda/Port Aransas, TX
Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: BulldogRon] #6031988 04/05/11 02:58 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: BulldogRon
Taking first trip to Port A in June and taking one 12 hour trip deep sea trip. Want to know were to fish in the evenings and at night. Will be there 5 days and yes will hang out on the beach some but can't stand not to be fishing if there is water near by. Are there lighted piers to fish at night and what can you catch in the middle of June.

Lots of seaweed washing in on the beach in June. Take you a garden rake to the beach with you. It'll make you a hero. There are 3 free piers and one pay pier in Port A. The Jetty is free also but would'nt advise going out on it at night. Charlies Pasture is my favorite if I'm pier fishing at night. Good Luck.

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: DEERSTRANGLER�] #6033032 04/05/11 01:40 PM
B
BulldogRon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks Deer. What are you generally catching at night off piers. What is best bait. Saltwater fishing is new to me. Being from West Texas, my lines aren't dipped into saltwater that much.

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: BulldogRon] #6034515 04/05/11 08:17 PM
B
Bradls30 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
What part of west texas? Midland here.

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: BulldogRon] #6035353 04/06/11 12:09 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Thanks Deer. What are you generally catching at night off piers. What is best bait. Saltwater fishing is new to me. Being from West Texas, my lines aren't dipped into saltwater that much.

Depending on the bait and the amount of bluewater that's been blown in depends on what you catch. I've seen king fish, sharks, smacks, specks, redfish, mangrove snapper, flounder, sheepshead, triggerfish, black drum, hard heads, gafftop, sea robins, stingrays, and millions upon millions of grunts caught off the piers. You can use fresh dead shrimp, live shrimp, cut bait, mullet(it's a baitfish on the coast not a hairstyle as in the West of Texas)or live piggys. Make sure not to forget your saltwater stamp as the GW will be by especially at night. Good Luck and Knock em dead!

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: DEERSTRANGLER�] #6035415 04/06/11 12:25 AM
B
BulldogRon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
HAHA!!! Deerstrangler. Don't see to many mullets in these parts. Have fished in Sabine lake two years ago. Pulled boat from the Abilene area all the way to Orange Texas. Used Mullet and gulp shrimp and had very little success. Gas prices way too high to pull boat that far now. Is there a place in Port A were you can rent a fishing Cart, to haul your gear around?

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: BulldogRon] #6035561 04/06/11 01:09 AM
T
Tuna Texas Offline
Angler
Angler
T
If, you fish on the North Jetty, take the Jetty Boat out of
Fishermans Wharf you can rent a Buggy by the day there. I
do not know if they rent them otherwise. Give them a call

Tuna Texas
Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: Tuna Texas] #6057431 04/11/11 10:05 PM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
I dont fish as often as I would like, but for what its worth there are two piers I like the best. The first is Fin and Feather which you will have to cross back over of the ferry and its between Port A and Aransas Pass on the left as you are headed off the island. Small charge to fish, make sure they are running the lights before you pay. Walk to the end of pier and fish from there to the left (towards the highway on the pier). The other side is very shallow. Fishing small speck rigs will produce many dink trout and I have occasionally caught the larger models but expect dinks.

My favorite place when its not over crowded. When you come off the ferry there is a Skinnys (convienience store so name could change) immediately on your right. Turn right just past the store and then turn right again immediately behind the store. Its a short drive to the pier (you can see this pier from the ferry). Its a short drive for island fishing. Some times nothing there, usually dinks, and sometimes keeper size trout. All the lights on this pier produce at times and sometimes casting from the sea wall is productive.

Hope this helps

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: Oldtrackster] #6058950 04/12/11 03:55 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Oldtrackster

My favorite place when its not over crowded. When you come off the ferry there is a Skinnys (convienience store so name could change) immediately on your right. Turn right just past the store and then turn right again immediately behind the store. Its a short drive to the pier (you can see this pier from the ferry). Its a short drive for island fishing. Some times nothing there, usually dinks, and sometimes keeper size trout. All the lights on this pier produce at times and sometimes casting from the sea wall is productive.

Hope this helps

That's called Charlies Pasture. Great Pier.

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: BulldogRon] #6058956 04/12/11 03:58 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D

Is there a place in Port A were you can rent a fishing Cart, to haul your gear around?

Before you go you might look into getting one of these.

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: DEERSTRANGLER�] #6062447 04/13/11 01:52 AM
B
BulldogRon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Thanks DeerStrangler. Will take a look at one of those tomorrow.

Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: DEERSTRANGLER�] #6062521 04/13/11 02:10 AM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER
Originally Posted By: Oldtrackster

Hope this helps

That's called Charlies Pasture. Great Pier.

Thanks Deerstrangler.

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: Oldtrackster] #6137088 05/02/11 07:21 PM
J
JimRinTX Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I was at Port A last the 1st week of last month. Fin and Feather doesn't charge for fishing on their pier any longer. They do have a sign up saying to fish at your on risk. Pier is not in great shape and they are concerned that if they charged and someone got hurt they would be sued.

The pier at Charlies pasture has been rebuilt. (for the second time in two years) They did not install lights on it, because the nearby homeowners raised a stink about them, and did not want people out there fishing at night.

There is a pier in a park to the left of the ferry as you come in from Aransas Pass. And you can also fish off the rocks in the park. I have caught Gafftop and Sheephead there.

There is another pier, called "Station St. Pier" down the road from the Coast Guard station. To get to it, if you come off of the ferry from Arnsas Pass, go straight. You pass Dolhin Docks, Fisherman's Headquarters, Port A Outfitters and bait shops on your left. Keep going untill you come to a convenience store on the right at the intersection of Station St. (All the convenience store down there are "Stripes" and "Verlero". Most have both names on them. Take a left on Station St. and go about two blocks and your there. There is a large condominium next to the pier.

To get to the South Jetty, go back to the Stripes store and turn left. Follow that road until you come to the beach area. The jetty will be on your left and if you look to the right you'll see Horace Caldwell pier. They charge $2 per day plus $1 per rod.

You can get back on the Hwy heading toward Padre Island. As you get close to Padre There will be a sign pointing to the left. It is Zahn road. You can turn there and go to Packery channel. The jetties there have concrete sidewalks that go all the way to the end. If you decide to fish there are any of the long piers, some type of cart is amost a must. I bought a wagon from Tractor supply, but the luggage carrier from walmart is much cheaper.

I think I've covered about all the bank fishing areas that I know of, except for Bob Hall pier. They charge the same as Horace Caldwell.

Good Luck, I may see you down there soon.

JIM

A bad day fishing is better than a good day doing anything else.

Retired US Army Master Sergeant. Infantryman and later Tanker 19K

Viet Nam and Dessert Storm Vet.
Re: Night fishing at Port A. [Re: JimRinTX] #6145529 05/04/11 05:31 PM
B
basspromaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
The best thing as far as surf fishing is to get up really really early and go way down the beach past Port Royal and on up. There are alot of guts and the wade fishing is fantastic. Gulp shrimp in the New Penny Color is the best along with live shrimp and fresh dead. If you catch some piggy pearch cut the finns off and attatch you a circle hook and chunk it in to one of the guts this should produce some nice redfish. Also cast net and mullet work great. I also do like to fish Packery Channel redfish trout kings spanish macs ect ect are great!
Keep talking to people on here and keep an eye out for others to be going around the same time so you can learn from others. People on the piers are friendly especially if you have extra beer ask questions watch and be prepared to spend a little money to catch fish. One more thing when you go on the party boat take a few min to try to catch bonita. five or six bonita cut up and made into chum and put out at the end of horrice cadwell will attract sharks wich will always be nice. Also if you don't have the tackle but have that kinda chum and what not the shark fisherman will not mind if you tag a long. These are all things I have done when I was growing up and would spen the summer in Port A.

Politicians, baseball players, high-powered corporate CEO's they all seem to eventually let us down. Nature, however, does not. Look to her for inspiration and you will learn the secrets to living a good life. The most Important lesson it would seem is to make sure you spend as much time fishing as anything else.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide