Forums59
Topics1,042,351
Posts14,016,418
Members144,281
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: timwins31] #6087041 04/19/11 03:48 PM
S
Sader762 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
What I'm fishing with ......

MY MINI-BASS BOAT

Link to the Mini-Bass Boat Mod I did: http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11099
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: timwins31] #6087050 04/19/11 03:51 PM
921ELITE Cranker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The gas is really bothering me as well. I love to fish tournaments but you have to take into consideration what you will spend versus what you could win nowadays. My wife wants to fish some more couples tournaments but the travel expenses vs. payout does not make sense. Most of the couples tournaments do not have a good payout.

As for the cost of boats. It is ridiculous but the same applies for trucks/cars. They get higher and higher every year. The best way to buy a boat is to find a year or two old boat that still has warranty and is kept clean. Let the first person take the financial hit for the depreciation.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #6087064 04/19/11 03:54 PM
S
sport188 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
Some people make lots of money, and some just go in debt!

And other make do with what is available.

It's sort of like TV, DVD, Ipads, Iphones, ect. You can get by with a simple old school big tv and watch the same shows. A old flip phone still gets calls. My VHS recorder records shows just like a DVR does...it's about making do with what you have and what you can afford.

Some people just like to talk about how much they have....blah....I get bored with that. I'd rather talk fishing! fish

It is amazing even in a slow economy they keep pumping out higher dollar equipment...in all industries!

+1

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: rangerhomer2] #6087120 04/19/11 04:13 PM
T
Ted Dyer Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
There must be a lot of lottery winners fishing these days. I understand and empathize with your post. I think it is like most things though, the impression you get on the forum is not really representative of the average/majority of anglers. Most of us have what we have.

I have this conversation with my son fairly frequently. Watching TV and the world around him kinda distorts reality. There are always people that have nicer houses, bigger cars, fancier boats, but the average person can get by nicely if they prioritize. You just have to decide what is really important.

my saying to him, which he hates, is that if it is a good decision to buy something today, it will be a good decision tomorrow. Most times when tomorrow comes you decide some things aren't as important as you thought.

flagtexas
Courage - knowing something will hurt and still doing it.
Stupidity - knowing something will hurt and still doing it.

That’s why life is difficult
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: sport188] #6087131 04/19/11 04:16 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!

Last weekend was close to 1-K for boat repair(we fish Fork)entry fee, oil, & gas..

Yeah, it's getting to the point where it's not worth the rewards. When the cost out weighs the enjoyment, the industry will suffer just like we are..

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: sport188] #6087136 04/19/11 04:17 PM
G
GO WACKY Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
My problem is that I'm a Tackle Junkie. I hit that $50 prepaid freight order with the Tackle Warehouse much too frequently. Like I've got $100 tied up in Lateral Perch's and I haven't even thrown one yet...had them 3 mos now. I think I'm better now...and I never pay any interest...but I can't promise not to jump on the next best bait...LOL

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Sader762] #6087144 04/19/11 04:20 PM
P
Paparon Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Sader762

Sader, you should go into the boat building business! That's one heck of a job you've done!

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: 921ELITE Cranker] #6087159 04/19/11 04:26 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Z520 Cranker
The gas is really bothering me as well. I love to fish tournaments but you have to take into consideration what you will spend versus what you could win nowadays. My wife wants to fish some more couples tournaments but the travel expenses vs. payout does not make sense. Most of the couples tournaments do not have a good payout.

+1

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: JT Larkin] #6087228 04/19/11 04:47 PM
C
Crazy Yak Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
There's no need to spend rediculous amounts of cash to go fishing (unless that's your desire) or going into debt for a boat payment. Personally, I'm glad to have taken the kayak route even though I could afford a nice, new Bay / Offshore boat.

Just purchased a new Hobie Outback with GPS Fishfinder combo and other accessories for <$2,100. Best of all I need no fuel. You obviously can't cover as much water but you become a better angler by concentrating your efforts on smaller bodies of water.

From lakes to offshore fishing these kayaks do it all.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Crazy Yak] #6087254 04/19/11 04:57 PM
Zach Caudle Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Well I can tell you this much. There are two groups of people that have these newer rigs. The first group is the guys that literally do nothing else. I fish and really dont have any other hobby or interests so this allows me to have a pretty nice rig. At the same time, I dont have a girlfriend/wife or kids. Fishing is really the only thing that I spend money on. The other group of folks is the people that are just way deep in debt and feel like they NEED to have all of the things that they see floating around. If you cant really determine a viable use for something then you really shouldnt buy it. Most real tournament fisherman can tell you exactly why they bought everything in their boat. Right down to a specific instance where they needed it and didnt have it or were beaten by it. The punchline to all of this is just to fish inside your means and not worry about having the latest and greatest unless you are competing against other people that have it and are trying to level the field.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: GO WACKY] #6087260 04/19/11 04:59 PM
C
Cloud Dancer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
The fact is that "the economy" is in much worst trouble than we realize. Otherwise, there would be a Ranger dealer in a big city like San Antonio. They're just not selling very many $70K bassboats.
Personally, I've always save up the money first, and paid cash for all my toys, including small aircraft. My last significant 'toy' that I ordered was my 41 ft diesel pusher motorhome(back in 2003). My last new bassboat was my 1990 Ranger.
Today, I'm a retired senior citizen who nobody will hire(as a commercial pilot). Heck, I can't even afford all the fuel that I want. I'm tired of "cutting back", BUT grateful that I even have a boat. My days of buying stuff are over, but I still go fishing. By launching close to the "fishing hole", I only burn a few gallons of gas.

Need to improve my LMB fishing, running out of time.
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Crazy Yak] #6087289 04/19/11 05:03 PM
D
Devil Horse Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Neighbor of mine just recently bought a new name brand bass boat, bragging that it cost him $62k and change. All i can say is the bass boat manufactures must really get a laugh at how they can sell boats that cost that much, when another neighbor bought a 24' runabout with a 350 I/O and paid almost $19k. Just seems anything connected with bass fishing is way over priced, like the manufactures say to themselves lets see if they will pay this or that for this way overpriced item.

Many people have lost touch with reality nowdays, fishing used to be a cheap sport, a sport where one would go to the lake to relax and have a good time. Now in a lot of cases its all about how good you look at the boat ramp.

Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Paparon] #6087349 04/19/11 05:16 PM
S
Sader762 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Paparon
Originally Posted By: Sader762

Sader, you should go into the boat building business! That's one heck of a job you've done!

Thanks, it's a great little boat to fish out of by myself, even if it's a little slow. I've got an 18 hp Rude in the garage that needs to be rebuilt. Once that's done it out to scoot aroud the lake.

MY MINI-BASS BOAT

Link to the Mini-Bass Boat Mod I did: http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11099
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Sader762] #6087368 04/19/11 05:23 PM
C
CanadiYak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I have a 95 Cajun and a 2000 Chevy x-Cab paid for and still can't seem to find the extra money these days to enjoy it.This gas is KILLING ME...

[Linked Image]

Tight-Lines Mike aka "Playing Hooky"
Re: Fishing expenses and equipment out of control. [Re: Kay Dyson] #6087370 04/19/11 05:23 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

Last weekend was close to 1-K for boat repair(we fish Fork)entry fee, oil, & gas..

Yeah, it's getting to the point where it's not worth the rewards. When the cost out weighs the enjoyment, the industry will suffer just like we are..

As we get older we all come to a point of reality. Like RedSkeeter says one weekend is $1000 for two guys on the tournamant circuit. I can't speek for everyone but my experence on catching fish on the adverage is to hope for 5 good bites in a tournament. You may have to rethank your priorities for this day and time.
I have found that if I do without two of these tournaments I can go to the best lakes in the country for a week with a partner. Even though lakes like Falcon and some of the private pay lakes can produce a greater number of fish than the tournaments I am fishing; it is still not enough, for the money spent.
That is the reason that I perfer to go to Mexico where my partner and I can catch 100 Bass a day and 50 of those are over 5 lbs. For a little over $2,000 I can drive there and fish for 5 days, come home and save my money and go again in 3 or 4 months.
The hard part is the between times and waiting for that next trip. I understand this doesn't work for everyone, because of work and family. Most people are lucky to get off on the weekend to go fishing.
This works for me because I am retired and ready to go at a minutes notice.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide