Print Thread
Page 70 of 122 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 121 122
Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: heavy] #5921222 03/05/11 06:42 PM
S
Sideros Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
At what depths are you guys catching them at?

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: Sideros] #5921883 03/05/11 11:05 PM
S
sam sam the mex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
sounds like it is about time for me to head to the lake!!!!maybe tomorrow!!

Shoshone was a bust!! had a bunch of minnows scattered out, had a few nibbles on chicken breast and carp chunks!!!

today was the fishing rodeo at plum my youngest daughter won 1st for biggest trout and 1st for smallest trout!!! she walked outta there with 2 brand new poles!!

Last edited by sam sam the mex; 03/05/11 11:08 PM.

S.Y.L.B.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: sam sam the mex] #5922028 03/05/11 11:57 PM
H
heavy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
That is great Sam.

We were catching them about 8 to 12 feet.

Last edited by heavy; 03/07/11 03:48 PM.

Fishing for change
Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: heavy] #5927130 03/07/11 04:27 PM
F
FishingRythe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
So i just moved to Wichita Falls on orders to Sheppard and I got a chance to go out in my kayak to Arrowhead Lake on Sunday the 6th. I'm a very active angler and kayak fisherman, I been fishing my whole life for every big freshwater fish and salt water fish I could possibly go after. I heard crappie fishing in Texas is amazing and I have a decent pan fish set up and decided to try and go after them last weekend. Launched from the state park boat ramp and fished for about 4 hours and covered a little over 6 miles or so. I was fishing in about 5-6 feet of water in the heavy sunken trees, the rocky shore line of the damn, a few of the oil rigs and some of the weeds and sandy shore lines up and down the lake and didn't catch a single fish, not even a little nibble. I was using roadrunners, jigs (pan fish assassin) and suspended jigs and couldn't find the fish, at least I wasn't the only one on the lake with that problem, a lot of other boats had trouble fishing them at most depth and only managed to snag a few smaller ones. Seems like I was fishing to shallow for how cold the water was and with the cold front in the fish have appeared to move deeper then I figured they would have. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of experience fishing for crappie so I'm sure my presentation and bait selection might not have been the best too. On the plus side I got out of the house and on the water for a good four hours, had a blast outside and got some good exercise so not everything was a bust.

Hoping I get a chance to run into a few of my fellow Wichita Falls anglers who might be able to point me in the right areas for fishing and give me a few tips and tricks on crappie fishing. I'm going to try and explore the area and try to fish arrowhead and check out the buffalo creek reservoir and what ever lakes or ponds I can find on Google maps or recommendations. I'll be fishing every weekend I can as long as work is not doing a weekend thing, PM me if anybody kayaks or just wants to go fishing sometime. (I'm in the kayak forums of TFF all the time so I know about that at least smile ) thanks guys.

Spring 2011 North Texas GTG Golden Crate Winner!!!!
Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: FishingRythe] #5928291 03/07/11 08:35 PM
C
claycountycrappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
been crappie fishing arrowhead for years. back in grad school now and only got to fish a couple times last year. this year my dad says it ain't time yet. I know a couple of places you can get to by kyak or my dad is always going in his boat. I will be checking this site more fequently in the next two weeks, but my spot for the last five years consistently yields over 500 fish per spawn just between me and my dad. Last year if you didn't get there before daylight, you waited in line but still enough fish for several boats. this year water is up providing wider area for fishing. will keep you posted!

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: claycountycrappie] #5928501 03/07/11 09:25 PM
S
Sideros Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Always wanted to try kayak fishing- I'll eventually break down and buy me a kayak one of these days. Welcome to WF fishingrythe and to the forum CCcrappie

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: Sideros] #5928571 03/07/11 09:38 PM
F
FishingRythe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Sideros
Always wanted to try kayak fishing- I'll eventually break down and buy me a kayak one of these days. Welcome to WF fishingrythe and to the forum CCcrappie

Thanks!!

I have done numerous types of fishing from deep sea boats to bass boats and kayak fishing is by far my most favorite thing to do fishing wise. It was a bit of a initial cost but nothing compared to a boat, just have to be in decent shape and once you learn the little ins and outs of it, you will be hooked for life.

I'll be either going to Arrowhead again next weekend or going down to Ray Roberts to prepare for the spring kayak GTG and scout the lake. So either way Im hitting the water and going to try and learn one of the lakes. Quick question about arrowhead is there a better spot to put in besides the state park or is there some where else that is good? I can launch from pretty much anywhere from rocky shores to sand so that is a huge bonus. I was going to head left at the park entrance and head down to Bunny Run and that public ramp next time and see what that is like unless I can find a better spot to launch from.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: FishingRythe] #5928668 03/07/11 10:02 PM
P
PEZZ Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
There's bunny run (aka hippie beach, Henrietta bridge). One in between near sailboat cove, one directly across from the dam, shoshonee park near scottland would be awesome with a kayak since very few boats go there because of all the flooded timber, and third bridge from scottland.

If you have time to kill check out lake waurika in Oklahoma, I think it would by far be better for kayaking, tons more access, more camping areas, more lake variations and structure, and more species like hybrid and walleye. It's only about 45 min drive.

I've been wanting to get a kayak just for shoshonee park.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: PEZZ] #5928990 03/07/11 11:26 PM
F
FishingRythe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Thanks for the info PEZZ was going to actually go down that way next time I went to Arrowhead to see what the other side of the lake has to offer. That shoshonee park just from google maps could be really nice right now, been hearing a lot of people pulling in crappie from the smaller creeks and run off areas like that. I think i might take out the kayak tomorrow and give that a shot if the weather is decent. Is there a place to launch at from the third bridge? That would be a very long paddle from the park to the bridge.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: PEZZ] #5929034 03/07/11 11:37 PM
C
claycountycrappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
there are lots of bays with good wading, kyaking entrance on the west side. turn right before you go into the state park. I grew up about a mile from the country store. As kids, our summer fun was walking to the state park before the A.R.E,(arrowhead ranch estates) country store was built. I remember there used to be a trailer house/store on the left right before you went into the state park. Of course when we went to lake kickapoo, Big Boys Bait shop was the exciting part of our trip. Someone has done a song about that ole bait store. Ben Atkins boy from Henrietta I think. that tank(pond) on the left about mile before the state park is where I grew up. I grew up tube and wader fishing until my dad decided he was too old to be getting in and out. Now if he can't fish it from his boat, it don't get fished by him. We only use cane poles and live minnows, very very rarely artificial bait. besides with cane pole, I can still hold frosty adult beverage in my hand and limit out in usually couple of hours. Blue hydrasport with evenrude, Terry, he was letter carrier in WF for 38yrs, he doesn't know any strangers.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: claycountycrappie] #5929225 03/08/11 12:25 AM
E
EliteAngler1011 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Has anybody been to Buffalo lately? I heard the Crappie were ON! Anyone been out there?

Jadon

Blue Fleck
Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: EliteAngler1011] #5929770 03/08/11 02:33 AM
S
sam sam the mex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
maybe i will head out there fri!!!

S.Y.L.B.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: sam sam the mex] #5930341 03/08/11 04:31 AM
P
PEZZ Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
If you put in at shoshonee go straight out from the boat ramp towards the lake and on your left will be a small wooden deck, like a boat dock, it holds alot of crappie and all down the creec edges out to the main lake. I know you don't need boat ramps but that seems to be the best parking. The second bridge will be very easy and obvious, third bridge will be the long one. After you pass the bridge there will be a dirt road to the right that will lead to the ramp, that is the bridge you can have a blast on but the wind easily makes it unfishable. The crappie cross there on their way to the feeder creeks. The crappie seem to like the pillars on the north side (hint, hint).

Be careful at shoshonee with all the limblines, and many have fish on them. That place can be muddy and wild looking but it can sure hold alot of fish.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: PEZZ] #5930889 03/08/11 01:00 PM
F
FishingRythe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
sounds like a lot of Missouri's back water areas, muddy and wild looking, going to make me feel right at home. I might head down there in a few hrs since I have today off. I'll post a little report if I manage to make it there today, thanks again to everybody helping me out it is really appreciated.

Re: Wichita Falls Crappie Fisherman [Re: FishingRythe] #5932853 03/08/11 08:54 PM
F
FishingRythe Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Went out to Shoshonee today for a few hours, covered probably about 2 miles or so down river (towards the lake) from the boat launch. Didn't catch anything but I did see a few catfish in the shallows and one bass chasing after bait fish it seemed. Looks like a really promising area, slow moving water with tons of cover, brush and nice shady spot for fish to hide in. I did not see the small wooden deck, it might not be obvious and I could have missed it easily too. Minor fish activity on the surface but nothing really biting, was using slip bobber, road runners and I even tossed a 1/8 oz rattling trap to see if they would bit, but nothing for me.

I noticed the water is super brown and visibility is only 2 inches or so from what i can tell on the surface. Normally for cats that is not that big of a problem since I use stink baits or stuff that gives off a good odor. How do you target and fish for crappie with visibility that limited? I don't really have a clue honestly, since I haven't really targeted crappie at all, I'm at a bit of a loss.

I did swing by that third bridge but i was a tad tired and the wind was kicking up. Looks like i can get right under that bridge and fish with ease. I think I'll hit that this weekend when I go back out, maybe the fish will be better due to a warmer week.

Page 70 of 122 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 121 122
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide