Forums59
Topics1,042,202
Posts14,013,602
Members144,280
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: Paparon] #5561207 11/30/10 08:42 PM
B
bigdipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I have a permit and carry almost everywhere I go, I would hate myself if caught somewhere I needed it and it was on my dresser at home. I also recommend a revolver. Too many stories about semi automatics mal-functioning.
I have several hand guns, but carry nothing less than a .38 cal.

As far as having a loaded gun in your vehicle in plain view with out a permit--might be ok in your state -- but may I suggest you check other state laws when traveling. It is not legal in the state where I live.

good luck

bigdipper

"You may be only one person in the whole world, but you may be the whole world to one person."

Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: bigdipper] #5561723 11/30/10 11:17 PM
T
Texguy02 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I would say do whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable. If that is a firearm or whatever do it. Your safety is up to you.

Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: bigdipper] #5561760 11/30/10 11:26 PM
J
jeepthing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Thanks for the responses guys and the pm's. Definately going to go to the range soon and start getting familiar with the whole deal. I like the idea of going to the gun show too and handling a lot of them to get the right fit. Does anyone know when the next one in Dallas or Ft. Worth is?

Also, I agree Holzer, if I know I'm going to be out late in a parking lot alone I go for safer rather than convenient. It's the times that I can't plan for that concern me though.

Had a buddy get a flat at night recently and I had battery trouble that kept me out later than expected. I've also started traveling to Houston for some jobs recently and have had to drive at night once or twice. Not a problem when I was a teen (young, nieve, and no dependants) now getting older and have started thinking about these types of things.

Thanks again guy's and keep'um coming!!

Jay "Jeepthing" Bush
Registered Architect
Bush Architects, LLC
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: buda13] #5561848 11/30/10 11:50 PM
W
Waterboss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: buda13
FYI, it is illegal to carry a firearm on any Corps of Engineers Lakes and property unless you are an LEO or you are hunting. Heres the Federal law..

Under the US Code of Regulations, Title 36--Parks, Forests, and Public Property

CHAPTER III--U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS

PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCES
DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.

Nowhere does it state a CHL is valid, or that state guidelines overrule the federal.

Blah blah blah, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: Waterboss] #5562117 12/01/10 01:11 AM
E
EpicBirdnest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
exactly.

i have a CHL, and whether it is or isn't legal to carry on Corps lakes, i carry anyway. i have a lot of discipline and personal restraint when it comes to pulling my weapon, so if i know it is time to pull it, i will not put myself in a position for anyone besides myself to be the one explaining what happened.

there are way too many variables out there to not allow yourself to be prepared for any situation.

2004 Skeeter ZX-250 300 HP Yamaha VMAX HPDI

"The Girl Scouts just called...they want their hookset back."
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: EpicBirdnest] #5562571 12/01/10 03:22 AM
F
fishluvme Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I do carry..I have many friends who been robbed at the lakes out here.... I have no CHL...My dad once told me one night long ago and alone on Ray Hubbard some guys came up on him while he was on the bank at night..They slowly came nearby in their boat..They were bugging him about lame stuff that was a bunch of nonsense and he knew they probably were going to robb him..He took his pistol out his tackle box and slipped in his hip pocket and showed them his [censored] when he bent over to grabb tackle as if he baiting a hook and they jetted out of there when they saw the pearl handle..

Last edited by fishluvme; 12/01/10 03:23 AM.

Joe pool 13 incher
The way to communicate with the fish is to drop them a line.
To argue on a fishing boat is to have de bait.
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: fishluvme] #5562599 12/01/10 03:33 AM
J
James Tucker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
you never find me without a piece unless I am in a bar, and that is once every year or two.

Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: James Tucker] #5562676 12/01/10 03:57 AM
C
cypher_orange Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Really good question jeepthing. I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. Couldn't decide to carry or not. Finally after a couple "late night happenings" I decided it was a good idea. My first carry piece was a .32 Taurus. Alot of people might say that is too small but I loved it. Quick,accurate,very compact (about 3.5" long) and easy to shoot. Now I carry a Heckler and Koch 9mm. Only reason I switched was cuz the H/K was a gift. I suggest you do the gunshow thing. Not sure if the Saxet show goes to DFW but if so that is a pretty good deal. There is a Hawaiian family that sells there and they beat EVERYONE by price by at least 10%. I don't have kids yet so that was never an issue but it is definitely of the utmost importance obviously. Something else to consider is you don't want to get something w/ so much power it goes through the bad guy and through 7 walls too where it may injure an innocent. The way I think of a pistol is like an emergency first aid kit. You never WANT to have to use it but if you have to you are confident competent and efficient. Basically research, get your hands on a bunch of guns and decide whats right for you. Good luck.

Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: James Tucker] #5562699 12/01/10 04:04 AM
D
dlc209 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
im a police officer and i always carry. my friends that fish tourney with me always comment to me when they see me grab my glock out of my truck and put it the boat. they know im there for them if they need me.i will not wear it on my side because i dont want to alarm or offend anyone, but is close and out of site. i know several officers that wear them on their hip and i dissagree with it but thats just me. some might think im trying to intimidate the other anglers, but thats not it. thats why i hide it.

Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: dlc209] #5563045 12/01/10 12:37 PM
T
TxJole Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Most people that carry won't post that they do on here. They don't do it because everyone else does.

1966 Boston Whaler Sakonnet
Click here to see more about the boat
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: Holzer] #5563240 12/01/10 02:04 PM
C
CWCW Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Holzer
If I know that I'm going to be out after dark, I'll drive the extra mile to launch at a ramp that is well lite or in a park that you have to pay for.

Bingo! I dont fish at night but im not going to fish in an area where i have to worry about my safety. I carry a fillet knife and a 6ft 2x4 board on my boat (for pushing off if i get stuck). If i cant defend myself with a 2x4, a fillet knife, or my fists.....then im fishing in the wrong area. Of course i dont live in the city either and i always go to pay ramps.

2009 Tracker PT 170 TX
Mercury 50hp
Lowrance X125
Lowrance X50
Motorguide 46 TM
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: CWCW] #5564514 12/01/10 07:15 PM
H
HitmanFO Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I always carry. Check out the Glock 26 if you're looking for a small concealed carry gun. Glocks are very reliable and rugged. Plus, you can stick all kinds of accessories and extended grips and various clip sizes in them.

In all the years I've had a CHL and carried a weapon, not once have I ever had to "flash it" or "pull it", and I pray that I never have to. And fishing trips are a particular good time to carry... I have to drive an hour or two to get my boat to the lake, and a breakdown has a good chance of occurring out in the middle of nowhere, and no telling who is going to stop and "help" you. I don't worry too much when I'm on the water, but I do keep my weapon handy.

Here's the point I drive home to my non-gun-toting friends - you may never ever need it, but in that ONE instance in your life when you DO need it, when your life or the life of your wife or kids is on the line, you would trade everything you own for the comfort of a pistol in your hand. I see carrying a weapon for personal safety as part of my responsibility as a husband and dad. Plus, after years in the Army carrying M16's and various other weapons, I feel naked without one!

Get trained properly, though, at a shooting range, or a gun course put on by the local PD, something like that, on both weapons handling and safety. It's those idiots that are careless with their weapons and accidentally shoot someone or, Lord forbid, their kid gets their hands on it and shoots themself, that give gun owners a bad name.

Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: jeepthing] #5564766 12/01/10 08:39 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: jeepthing
Never had any kind of major issue with anybody, but as I feel more confident with my boating abilities I've started staying after dark more often and have seen some weirdo's on docks and ramps. I fish a lot alone due to work schedule and have wondered about personal protection a few times. Never felt nervous fishing, but have when unloading or loading my boat alone.

Thinking of getting a CHL for the first time and maybe getting a pistol. Very much on the fence about it.

It'd be my first pistol (shot a few when I was a teenager) but never owned one.

Suggestions, thoughts, advice for a first. Or even pro's and con's? Good first one? Affordable safe's, locks? I have kid's so safety is a MAJOR ISSUE of course!!

A really good friend of mine is thinking of doing the same so we may even take a class together and go to the range for some friendly competition.

Didn't grow up in a hunting household so my gun knowledge is limited to summer camp and older cousins.

P.S. I know this isn't the Hunting Forum, but since I'm not really a hunter and this is for when I'm fishing, well . . . . makes sense to me.

I have a CHL and if you see me on the lake, I'm packin. Take a good gun safety course, but above all make sure your kids understand they are not a toy. I told my boys growing up that the worst azz beating they ever got would pale by comparison if I ever caught them touching the guns. Never a problem, as it was never a problem with me growing up. Most kids are inquisitive about something they know nothing about, so take the kids to the range and show them what these guns are all about. Enroll them in a gun safety course as well, in fact if they are over 5 or so, enroll them in the same one you take. Not sure what the minimum age to take a gun safety class is in Texas, but I've seen pictures of some pretty young kids having taken some pretty fair trophies.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: KingwoodCat] #5565060 12/01/10 10:10 PM
B
bassman1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
If i leave the house i am packing reguardless of the destination.Really don't care what body of water i am on it's in the boat. If i get checked, and i do at times, i just keep my mouth shut. Never had to pull it, but no problem if i'm ever forced to. I can promise one thing, if it ever has to come out it is going off.

Roll Tide!
Re: How many of you "carry" while on fishing trips? [Re: bassman1] #5565283 12/01/10 11:14 PM
bassdreamer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: bassman1
If i leave the house i am packing reguardless of the destination.Really don't care what body of water i am on it's in the boat. If i get checked, and i do at times, i just keep my mouth shut. Never had to pull it, but no problem if i'm ever forced to. I can promise one thing, if it ever has to come out it is going off.

No one has mentioned two things;

1. you don't need a chl to have a gun in your car or boat-as of 2007 the castle laws here in Texas extend to personal property so you can put a glock, Taurus, ruger, etc. in your vehicle or boat without issue.

2. If you do decide to get your CHL and when you settle on that perfect gun you'll soon discover that there is no one gun perfect for all occasions and you'll have at least two. I have a ruger lcp for 'summer' shorts and t-shirts ( I know a .380 is small, but it beats throwing rocks and it is darn easy to conceal) , a glock 19 and a Taurus pt1911.

3. Don't do what I did and try and go cheap on the holster. A good holster (expect to pay 60-100 dollars) will save lots of hassle and discomfort. A cheap holster moves, and shifts, while a good holster stays where you put it.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide