Forums59
Topics1,042,350
Posts14,016,383
Members144,281
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hack Attack on jigs, pretty cool... [Re: txwhitetail] #5547110 11/25/10 12:42 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I fish jigs all the time, mostly pitching. When I am pitching to heavy thick grass like Hackney was fishing, I like this jig.

http://www.blackangeljigs.com/untitled1.html

I think it has a better head and line tie design for fishing grass than the one Hackney was throwing.

Last edited by ezbassin; 11/25/10 12:44 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Hack Attack on jigs, pretty cool... [Re: Chad711] #5547342 11/25/10 02:11 AM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: Chad711
You know it is funny how every ones opinion is different on fishing. It almost makes me not want to listen to any one and just do what I think is best.

Example: In this video he is talking about how he likes to throw a jig because the fish might not be very active.

Then I am reading some blogs from other pro's and Greg Hackney says this:

"Those fish are very inactive in cold, muddy water, so you need something that will aggravate them into biting. That's the reason I don't like a jig or a bottom bait I want something with a lot of 'thump,' " he says. "They're not actively feeding."

So basically this pro is doing the exact opposite of this Hackney guy. Funny.

This was an approach I used onces as well. I just started bass fishing last Feb and was buying up everything people told me to try (Jig wise) and it always seemed like every one said to use a dark color jig, browns, blacks, etc. Well I caught some fish but not the amount I wanted or the size I wanted. So one day I walked into BPS and didn't ask anyone what I should try. Instead I went and bought a white jig and white trailer. Total opposite of all the opinions I was given. Went to RR and caught my PB out there at 6 lbs.

They are both right. When the fish are inactive you either have to finesse them into biting with slow moving finesse jig or Shakey Head with a finesse worm ect for example. Or you can make them strike even when they are not actively feeding in cold water by using a reaction bait such as a Lipless Crankbait (Noisy and intrusive) or you can get a reaction bite by flipping a jig and dropping it right on their nose in cover. They will strike at the Lipless crankbait because it annoys them/reaction stike and they bite the jig-- when you flip a jig on their nose because they are just sitting there minding their business and all of the sudden a jig comes dropping down the water column and they bite it because it surprised them and the reacted. So both Pro's are correct. Greg Hackney knows what he is talking about. If he tells you it is Christmas go hang ye stockins'

Re: Hack Attack on jigs, pretty cool... [Re: Fast Lane] #5547427 11/25/10 02:46 AM
-
-Shawn- Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
-
Hack is right on the money on this. I have had to show guys fishing in the back of the boat the difference in a good jig and a bad jig. If you are getting more lip hooks than roof of mouth you need to change jigs. Lip hooked fish can and will come off. A Fish with a hook sticking out of the top of there head is coming to the boat!!
The way these guys think about preventing fish loss is amazing. If you ever get to sit down and talk to an Elite pro you will see they approach everything in the same way. Any lost fish could cost them a 100,000 dollar check.

Your way of thinking changes when you start paying big entry fee's and your next meal depends on putting EVERY fish in the boat.

While funfishing I love a Frog bite, But when money is on the line I give the fish what they want and if I can avoid trebles I do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide