Forums59
Topics1,042,231
Posts14,014,038
Members144,281
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: BridgeportGuide] #5176361 08/07/10 07:30 PM
Lannie Robertson Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I guess im thinking to far into the past about the bass fishing.I remeber when bass fishing was great on BP.
Those 5&6 pound hybrids are fun to catch,if your not fishing a bass tournament.
And i to think the water levels have messed up the fishing on the trinity river lakes.

I think lifting the slot will help it myself,its been on it long enough.Anyone can see its not working.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Lannie Robertson] #5176396 08/07/10 07:47 PM
J
Jeremyworm Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I've never fished BP but y'all sure got me worried about my tourney in two weeks. I will not have time to prefish because of my work schedule. I've heard there is a pretty good population of smallies out there and that the LMB are pretty tough right now. Maybe unfamiliar water and a tough lake will pull me out of a slump. Just wishful thinking.

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Jeremyworm] #5176568 08/07/10 09:03 PM
T
teamron Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
haha, dink city. if you like spots and small lmb, bridgeport is great. i would love to see some good local smallmouth action, i have seen some really good smallys come out of their, but not in my direction. they need to loose the slot imo.

teamron

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: BridgeportGuide] #5176609 08/07/10 09:23 PM
S
Shrekenator Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Everyone knows that when you introduce a predator fish to waters that it has no natural enemies in that it will florish. Thank god most of those hybrids cant breed or we would never see the end. I had said something to you about guiding out there, but I never said strickly for hybrids. Hybrids are extremly easy to catch out there. I cant go bass fishing without catching a mess of them. That why when someone asks me where they should go fishing I tell them Bport. If they ask me if there is someone that can take them out well.... Keith Bunch can... I am not trying to talk the lake down or your buisness. I would just like to see the stocking program put some new smallmouth in that lake. Improve the numbers and the chances of catching the next state record out there.

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Shrekenator] #5177106 08/08/10 01:17 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
You can catch some good smallmouth up shallow too especially in the flooded willows and bushes which there is lots of. Here is my personal best. Sorry for the uglier than usual picture but i was sick as a dog that day. I weighed this one at the marina and it went over 6lbs.

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Mark Perry] #5177677 08/08/10 04:14 AM
G
Gary Ables Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Man that is a big one~ and the smallmouth is pretty big too.Lol! It seems there are more smallies being caught recently than years past and alot of them are small so they must be reproducing.Fishing has been tuff out there as I went today and only caught 5 or 6 and all under 14".I also agree that the lake level has alot to do with it and being so full seems to have the fish scattered out everywhere.Bridgeport is a great looking lake With lots to fish but I dont understand where are the bigger fish at or is there just not that many fish in there over 3 lbs.I caught one out there a few weeks ago that had the spotted bass markings and fins but it was dark brown like a smallie and was 17-18 " long-it looked like a cross between a spot and smallie.

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Gary Ables] #5177688 08/08/10 04:21 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Gary Ables
Man that is a big one~ and the smallmouth is pretty big too.Lol! It seems there are more smallies being caught recently than years past and alot of them are small so they must be reproducing.Fishing has been tuff out there as I went today and only caught 5 or 6 and all under 14".I also agree that the lake level has alot to do with it and being so full seems to have the fish scattered out everywhere.Bridgeport is a great looking lake With lots to fish but I dont understand where are the bigger fish at or is there just not that many fish in there over 3 lbs.I caught one out there a few weeks ago that had the spotted bass markings and fins but it was dark brown like a smallie and was 17-18 " long-it looked like a cross between a spot and smallie.

Gary,

Truthfully I think late summer has always been fairly tough out there for bass fishing or at least for catch the bigger fish. I think a lot of the truly big fish suspend. I know Keith Bunch will catch some big bass when trolling the main lake for hybrids and sandbass. The more I fished out there the more convinced I was they suspended more than most lakes. With the biggest part of that lake not having any vegetation to speak of there usually is not much in shallower water that holds the bigger fish. I will say though usually when its this high the shallow bite is excellent on the smaller fish. We were driving around the lake today(not on the water though) and its been a long time since I saw so much cover in the water. There is some stuff way on the backside of Runaway Bay near the Jim Ned Cemetary area that is flat loaded with submerged cover. I know from my days out there that area gets little to no pressure at all so I bet its still that way. I may sneak out there in the next week or so just to see. Should be a frog fishing dream as well as flipping/pitching.
No worries though cause she will fire off this fall just fine. I have always caught better numbers of smallmouth in late fall into November out there. A chartreuse/brown back Wiggle Wart is deadly.

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Mark Perry] #5178030 08/08/10 01:49 PM
B
BridgeportGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Mark is right...This year we have caught two 6 pound plus LMB. One was hanging of the main lake humps in 45 feet of water. We came over the hump with DR'S, The fish was suspended about 20 feet down. The rigger went off and the fish shot right out of the water and tailwalked....

Ten days ago, we got the second one near the north bouys, It was in 20 feet of water, about halfway down a stairstep drop off. Destroyed a live Shad.

I throw a cast net ALOT out here. I have caught several slots and one over this year. They were less than 4 feet deep in heavy cover that was out of the water last year. There must be a couple of thousand acres of new water for fish. They have plenty of room to hide, This works in other ways though as the Shad will explode when the water comes up like it has.

When the lake is low, its another story. It was 22 feet low there for a period of years. The fishing is easier because the fish have less water they find comfortable.

Other things happen too, more than a few landowners took advantage of the low water to "clean" up their property. There is a cove near my house, it is the one near Crows Point. The lake was very low and an idiot landowner got in a bulldozer and cleared out the whole cove and then cut a channel. He took out two old docks, all kinds of brush and laydown cover. Just like that one of the my all time favorite LMB areas was gone. It was almost easy to catch a 6-7 pounder there in spring. I think we caught the same spawning female there a few years in a row. The lake came back up over bare dirt, even the Carp stay away from it....

There is alot of talk of this being a constant level lake, Let's hope it pans out...

Last edited by Bridgeport Guide-Keith Bunch; 08/08/10 02:38 PM.
Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: BridgeportGuide] #5203936 08/16/10 06:40 PM
K
kelso Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
There is alot of talk of this being a constant level lake, Let's hope it pans out...

I am praying for it.

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: kelso] #5203987 08/16/10 06:51 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
The lake wont ever be constant level, its the main watershed for the two lakes that supply the drinking water to Ft Worth and surrounding areas.

The lake is the same as PK/Whitney. Its a catch all for water. It either has to hold it back or give it up depending on the needs of those in the middle.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Fish Killer] #5204334 08/16/10 08:44 PM
B
Black Dallas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
This smallie came out of about 5 to 6 foot of water on a july afternoon. theyre there you just gotta make em bite. weighed 6-8

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Black Dallas] #5204429 08/16/10 09:08 PM
J
J.Mays97 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: black dallas
This smallie came out of about 5 to 6 foot of water on a july afternoon. theyre there you just gotta make em bite. weighed 6-8

That's an awesome fish right there and You can tell from the pic, One happy Angler.

Re: Stocking Lake Bridgeport Smallies!!!! [Re: Black Dallas] #5208808 08/17/10 11:02 PM
B
BridgeportGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: black dallas

Nice Fish! Yep, BP'S Brown Bass don't always play by the rules of their Northern buddies!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide