Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Jug line set up? [Re: Sapper21c] #5134981 07/27/10 03:21 PM
S
scooter79 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Sapper21c
Photo of my setup below. I use a ~10" section of pool noodle (wrapped with white duct tape since I moved to tx). About an inch from one end of the noodle I put a bolt through and attached a trotline clip to it. Tie the line around the bolt inside the hollow middle of the noodle, and wrap 15-20' around the noodle. Added a swivel and 1oz sinker and it works really well. 25# braid for the leader. Trotline clip allows you to set depth, just pull off as much lime as you want and hook in. Or just toss it out and it unrolls like a marker buoy. I normally stay near them while fishing which generally keeps me from losing any due to a fish dragging em off. Pretty coat effective too around $2 each. Store great in a cat food bucket and are much easier to set and pick up than "jugs". Line really doesn't matter, just want something that will hold the fish and not cut your hands up, and a leader that isn't going to scare the fish off...

seems like the bolt would pull through the noodle... unless I am missing something. noodles are not that tough to keep a fish from pulling the bolt through the foam when you grab it...I thought

Last edited by scooter79; 07/27/10 03:22 PM.
Re: Jug line set up? [Re: scooter79] #5136998 07/28/10 12:09 AM
Carver Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
This sounds expensive but it really works out cheaper than a lot of other options and makes a really durable jug..

Last year I made a few jugs by cleaning a 2 liter (and some other sizes) bottle. I made a wire loop for a hook and put it well into the neck of the bottle with the lid off. I bought several cans of "Great Stuff" foam for about $3.75 per can. I simply injected the foam into the bottle and stopped when it started expanding. The bottle was then white, pretty tough and cost less than $1-2 per bottle. My favorite ones were 32oz. gatorade bottles. If the foam over expanded out the neck, I simply cut the foam off and pushed it into the next bottle.

I made a couple of efforts at making a flagging rigs by inserting a 24" piece of 1/2" PVC into the neck of the bottle before putting the foam in. It worked, but not as well as the standard noodle flagging rigs. I could have made it work, but would have had to made the PVC way too long to work very many in my kayak.

I also tried printing my required ID on a sheet of paper and inserting it into the bottle before foaming. The plan was for the foam to press the paper up against the plastic and have great marking really easy. Something in the foam reacted with the ink from my inkjet printer and the result was not as planned. Back to the sharpie.

Another thing I do that I have never heard mentioned on here is add a crappie bell to some of my flagging jugs. the bell is under water until the jug flags and then starts "tinkling". I only do this on the ones that are baited large in case I have to chase them down or locate them after a longer soaking in big cat territory.. Being very close to the water in my yak, I can hear them before I can see them almost every time. This is priceless when working them at night.

I prefer to work smaller jugs and simply add a "back up" float to them when fishing for blues in the winter months.

All of my small white plastic jugs flag now also, but I will have to post pics up at a later time.Well I'll try to descrribe, but the pics make it simple and I have tried several ways that did not work.
I paint a red strip on one side and set them with the line attached to the other side, but wrapped to the side with the red stripe and held with a rubber band. The float white side up until a bite (the waves don't trigger them), then the line pulls out from under the rubber band and the jug just rolls over to present the red stripe up. It is not near as prominent as a flagging noodle, but you have no doubt about what you are looking at when it rolls. These are just the $2.50 jugs from Academy I am talking about.

I am cutting an aluminum mold this week to pour some donut shaped weights that will secure on the neck of these little jugs while not fishing. I found some commercial ones that were made for 2 liter bottles, but not for these little commercial jugs.

I have a lot of different types and in the end, if it floats and you can manage it safely, it is the right one for you. It is hard to mess up jugging, just go have fun. Phill

Phill Pittman

www.dallascnc.com new website for product development

www.mariner-kayaks.com Best kayak source in Texas
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide