Forums59
Topics1,047,493
Posts14,107,318
Members144,388
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: snubnose] #4869330 05/17/10 05:14 PM
Viper Rods Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: snubnose
At least he doesn't squeal like a girl ... Shaw Grigsby is the one I simply cannot watch. I don't care if its mid-January and the ground is covered in ice. Cannot take him.

+1 on that...Bill Dance is just like any other former professional athlete, most of them will endorse any product. For example all of those former NFL players on that nutri-system carp and Emmitt Smiths just for men beard gel give me a break.(At least BD actually uses the product he promotes) If Bill Dance was a former MLB player he would just be a commentator but there aren't 30 MLB teams to go to work for...so he does what he can to make money which is endorse what he can.. It does not change the fact that he was a great professional fisherman and has endless bass fishing knowledge to pass along to us less experienced anglers.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #4869549 05/17/10 05:54 PM
Y
Yankee28 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt
Dancin eel, Jerkin Sam, that stupid Booyah buzzbait....

And yes, I know other pros endorse stupid lures... Like that one that Ike is endorsing right now, the stupid lazer lure or whatever it is. And I will make fun of all of them just as much, but the topic doesn't come up as much.

Your nuts.....Waddaya kiddin me? Was that to much to ask?

All I ever wanted is friggin crankbaits with friggin laser beams on their friggin heads.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: Yankee28] #4869599 05/17/10 06:05 PM
jsix321 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
While I dont watch his show as much anymore, I use to watch it all the time when I was younger. I dont watch it as much now becuase I like to watch more real life (fishing big lakes) situations to try and learn something new. I think he comes across well in the younger crowd.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: jsix321] #4869661 05/17/10 06:17 PM
M
McKinney Machine Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I don't like the show being on a private stocked pond, sitting on the front of a tracker on a perfect no wind day. I dont watch period. I also dont watch hunting show that are on high fenced ranches. Just my opinion. Bill Dance made a name for himself back in the day.....but now a 7yr old can catch those bass in those ponds.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: Yankee28] #4869674 05/17/10 06:19 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Yankee28
Mark you most throw that yum dancin eel tail thingy all day. Yeah he was good but at some point you have to consider loosing respect if your willing to endorse anything for cash.

+1
I just turned on his show and he was throwing a frickin' jitter bug. Give me a break. You know if he was fishing in a competitive event he wouldn't even have that thing in his box. Just making that quick dollar.

Go Tech
Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: jsix321] #4869703 05/17/10 06:26 PM
C
chargercody Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
He seems to be well liked by other pros. There is a lot of respect out there for him. He does it his way, you do it yours. He's not hurting or offending anyone, but if you don't like him, don't watch his show. I find it entertaining when I get to watch one of shows, including his bloopers whether staged or not. No reason to dislike a guy most of us have not even met. I think most of us know that he fishes in stocked ponds, but hey, so do I. That doesn't mean I lack the self control not to buy a bogus lure he is endorsing. If you buy one of those lures thinking you're gonna catch what he does, you're gonna be disappointed.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: Mark Perry] #4869770 05/17/10 06:39 PM
L
Lip Grip Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Besides if guys are running out spending fortunes on baits just because they see them on TV shows I'm thinking they are gonna be in for a few disappointments in life.

That is one big, fat, gleaming pearl of wisdom there! thumb My daddy told me years ago that bass baits are made to catch fisherman as much as fish. Bill is making a living and there is a sucker born every minute. I can't fault him for that.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #4869784 05/17/10 06:43 PM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

And yes, I know other pros endorse stupid lures... Like that one that Ike is endorsing right now, the stupid lazer lure or whatever it is. And I will make fun of all of them just as much, but the topic doesn't come up as much.

Uh-oh Bill-you have gone and done it now-you are walking on holy ground to a lot on this board who think Ike hung the moon. This has been an interesting thread. Most of the time we like/dislike someone it is based on personality. Bill Dance is an icon, but mostly to those of us who are getting long in the tooth. I like Bill Dance-always have. When my son was small, he wanted a "T" hat like Bill-which we got him. When he was 4-5 yrs. old and most kids were watching Barney the Dinosaur, Ryan was watching Barney Fife and Bill Dance. But I rarely watch his show, just because I don't like the private pond/lake situation. Just like I stopped watching Bass Champs last year for the most part when it started showing more weigh-in and interviews with those who won the trucks. Not my cup of tea. But do I dislike Bass Champs? Absolutely not, even though they are pimping boats for the most part. I just like to watch fishing shows on lakes/rivers that I fish or like I fish. And I like to see them fish. But that is what makes the world go round-different strokes for different folks. To each his own.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: chargercody] #4869858 05/17/10 06:55 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Why should it matter if he is fishing a stock pond or not?? He is trying to educate not show people he can catch fish on any lake he wants... I believe his professional fishing resume covers that.... it includes 23 national BASS titles 3 angler of the year titles, out of 78 total BASS entries he finished in the money 64 times.

Who cares where he is fishing, the mans show is to help people learn about baits, techniques, biology of bass, and locating bass. I didnt have any siblings or a dad that fished to pass the information to me, I honestly learned alot of the basics from watching Bills videos as a kid.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: buda13] #4869873 05/17/10 06:58 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
on WFN, they have the "I fish to live" commercials.. and B Dance is on one talking about his show. he said it is to teach, and isnt about traveling around catching fish and showing them off. so what he does, has a purpose. and it serves many well.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: Lip Grip] #4869904 05/17/10 07:02 PM
B
bassindawg Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Lip Grip
My daddy told me years ago that bass baits are made to catch fisherman as much as fish.

This reminds me of an old Tom Mann quote (paraphrased, but something to this effect):

He said he used primarily black plastic worms, and that he thought that was the best color. When asked why he sold so many different color jelly worms if black was the best, he said that it was because that's what the fishermen wanted, and not so much the bass wanted.

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: buda13] #4869938 05/17/10 07:08 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: buda13
Why should it matter if he is fishing a stock pond or not?? He is trying to educate not show people he can catch fish on any lake he wants... I believe his professional fishing resume covers that.... it includes 23 national BASS titles 3 angler of the year titles, out of 78 total BASS entries he finished in the money 64 times.

Who cares where he is fishing, the mans show is to help people learn about baits, techniques, biology of bass, and locating bass. I didnt have any siblings or a dad that fished to pass the information to me, I honestly learned alot of the basics from watching Bills videos as a kid.

Excellent post! The man is/was a fishing Legend in my book.

I have personally fished with him three times and I will tell you this. He is a First Class Gentleman in every sense of the word and he is one of the most humble guys I have ever met. This is a trait many of you could use... coach

That's my two cents worth!

Ken wink

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: Yankee28] #4869939 05/17/10 07:08 PM
S
spinnerbaitOU812 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
[ quote=Yankee28]Don't dislike him. But he'll put his name on anything and his TV show is cornball tackle whoring and commercializtion of fishing product pushing at it's worst.[/quote]

You just discribed most of the Elite Lineup including the BASS TV show. hmmm

Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: buda13] #4870042 05/17/10 07:28 PM
M
McKinney Machine Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: buda13

I understand this point of view but thats the problem. I watch alot of fishing shows and learn from them all. I dont seem to learn anything from BD shows. Its just him with a 50 dollar combo throwing a spinnerbait around trees on a bass tracker in a private STOCKED pond. I dont really learn anything. As for his as a human i am sure he is great guy. Its just not reality to me. I like the struggles and keep moving trying different spots etc. Like I do when I am out

Last edited by McKinney Machine; 05/17/10 07:35 PM.
Re: Why do some of you people not like Bill Dance? [Re: McKinney Machine] #4870088 05/17/10 07:37 PM
R
Raiderland Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
How can anyone hate on ol Bill? That's like hatin' on Santa Cluas..... In fact it's darn near un-American.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide