Forums59
Topics1,047,491
Posts14,107,298
Members144,388
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: fishytx] #4518324 02/21/10 02:24 PM
G
greenyak Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
thanks for the info, my daughter had her last dance comp. this weekend so hope to get out there next weekend.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: greenyak] #4518348 02/21/10 02:33 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Oh yea, let me add another thing that occurred while we were fishing at Reimers yesterday. We were all fishing in this one area that I found the day before that was producing some fish right. Well as I was moving from one spot to another down the shore line towards the area were my friends were fishing, which was only several feet away, I looked down and there was this 2--1/2 ft. water snake curled up basking in the warmth of the day. I told my friends, check out this snake, Im surprised someone hasnt stepped on him yet. They all came over to look at it. One of them said, dang, I never saw it. And it was only a couple of feet from where they were fishing. Plus we had some small kids that were running around in this area too. Any how, I reached down and grabbed it by the tail to throw it back into the water so no one would step on it and get bit. When I grabbed its tail and went to chunk it towards the water, it turned very quickly and tried to bite me, but I let go before his head got close enough to my hand, and it landed next to the waters edge. From that point on, the kids began throwing rocks at it until it finally slivered back into the water. So folks, when your out and about along the shore line of these creeks or rivers, be sure to watch were you step. Its that time of the year for these snakes to get active and start looking for stuff to eat too. To be honest with you, with all the activity that took place in this one small area were this snake was basking, I was really surprised that none of the kids, or my little puppy didnt come across this snake before I did. Plus I dont understand why this snake just stayed there. We had been in this area for at least 45 minutes to an hour with all kinds of commotion. You would have thought that it would have at least tried to hide under a rock, or just move on to a different place, but yet it just laid there like nothing was going on. It wasnt curled up in a ball in the striking mode, it was just basking in the warmth of the day.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: fishytx] #4519493 02/21/10 09:00 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Nice to hear all the reports. they are pointing to the beginning of the spawn. It figures too. I'm stuck at work on a new project for the next few weeks. 7 days a week. Even now, I'm at work, looking outside my office at the nice weather, wishin I was fishin.

Thanks for the Shaffer Bend repor EZfishin. I was curious if anyone was catchin near the rock there. I got in to em good near the peninsula downstream from the rock last year. I sure it does look alot different with the higher water levels this year.

Fishytx; the yegua is getting ready to hatch. I've also noticed that the whites are bigger on Somerville than at Reimers or even on Granger Lake on the San Gabrial. Maybe I'll see ya'll around in a few weeks.

Shut up and fish!
Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: catchnrelease] #4524429 02/23/10 03:23 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Here are some pictures I took out at Reimers on the 18th. All of these pictures are of the rapids. Ive been out there three times now, and these are the only pictures that I took on my first trip out there, and Ive had my camera with me every time Ive been there. Ill try to get some better shots of the fishing areas next time Im out there and explain a little better on where the fish are feeding.

The bite is on, there are a lot of fish up in there. I cant wait for the temps to warm up so the bigger fish will begin to move in. During the second and third week of March, I look for this place to be on fire.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: fishytx] #4524545 02/23/10 03:49 AM
M
mbsfish Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Excellent pictures. Are most of the fish coming from downstream of the rapids? I am assuming once it warms more the fish will be shooting up past the rapids? I will be there the first weekend of March in a kayak, just trying to figure out the best areas to fish then.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: mbsfish] #4524796 02/23/10 05:06 AM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: mbsfish
Excellent pictures. Are most of the fish coming from downstream of the rapids? I am assuming once it warms more the fish will be shooting up past the rapids?

The fish are already way above the these rapids as we speak. There is no telling how far up the river these fish have traveled by now. My guess would be miles and miles. And I also think there are many more to come up the river before all hell brakes lose on this river. This should be one awesome spawn this year. The conditions are perfect at this time, and I look for it to get much better as the weeks go on.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: fishytx] #4525461 02/23/10 01:49 PM
T
Trout Bum Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
amen!!!! finally a good run on the PERD!!! will be coming from DFW, soon. Derik, want to meet sometime??

[Linked Image]

Fly Fishing Guide

Vice President / Conservation Texas Council of Fly Fishers International

http://texascounciliffi.com/

Join the FFI today!!
https://flyfishersinternational.org/

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: Trout Bum] #4526697 02/23/10 05:55 PM
D
derik d Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
TB just let me know and its on!

It's more than the catfish would do.
Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: derik d] #4528355 02/23/10 11:59 PM
C
catchnrelease Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
My neighbor went out this week. He and his partner limited out. Sounds like it's on down there. Sounds like the lake Somerville area is going off too. Sweet!

Shut up and fish!
Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: catchnrelease] #4532552 02/24/10 11:43 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
The size of the whites on Somerville make the fish that are up in Reimers right now look like babies. I caught a few last Monday on four pound test line that I wasn't so sure that I would be able to get em out of the water and up on the shore line.
Maybe I should start weighing a few of these fish and see what they weigh. Monsters.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: fishytx] #4532560 02/24/10 11:46 PM
F
fishytx Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Those pictures I posted of the rapids, I can't wait till I start catching fish up in there. You talking about one heck of a fight.
It takes several minutes before you can get em in.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: jsinn01] #4534037 02/25/10 07:31 AM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Boy do I have memories of Reimer's and the Pedernales! I have fished all the pools and rapids of Reimer's and even up as far as Hamilton Pool, and it may well be one of the most scenic stretches of fishable water in this part of the world. Have seen deer, wild Turkey, coyotes, bobcats, even a Golden Eagle once, up in those hills!

God's country if there ever was such a place!

BTW, Live crawfish fished on the bottom in the pools around rapids, where the eddies and backwashes start, are DEADLY on the whites in that river.

Gonna have to go down there and get in on some of that!

Rudy

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: Lovfldx] #4535020 02/25/10 04:21 PM
D
derik d Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I saw that eagle out there last friday fishing for whites too. It was a really cool thing to get to watch.

It's more than the catfish would do.
Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: fishytx] #4539365 02/26/10 06:26 PM
A
ATXangler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
went out to Reimers on Monday (2-22) before the snow, and fished just below the rapids in the yaks. Spent too much time fighting the current and wind, although we did catch some. Went back yesterday in waders and did much better, but was slower. The fish are up there but will be alot better as the water warms back up. Beautiful place to fish.

Re: Reimers Ranch - Shaffer Bend reports? [Re: ATXangler] #4542449 02/27/10 03:08 PM
U
USMC_Guy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
I would like to take my wife up there to do some fishing from the bank. I have a little boat and waders so I would go where ever needed to get them but she is a different story. She won't even get in a bathtub if she can't see the bottom. How is the fishing that is accessible by the bank? This will be my first trip up there so I don't know the area at all.

Mike C.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide