Forums59
Topics1,042,676
Posts14,022,117
Members144,293
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: H20 Dawg] #4236679 12/10/09 05:15 PM
C
Crash8005 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: H20 Dawg
What I'm saying is money can't buy victory.

If you believe that, you are sadly mistaken my friend. In any sport!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Crash8005] #4236692 12/10/09 05:21 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Some good point in this thread. I just wanted to add:

Yes they are that good, there is no doubt the pro's are better than most fisherman. That being said, there is little that seperates their skill from alot of local guys that compete well at our local levels. The difference being sponsorship and locations. Pure skill there are tons of guys on this very forum that match up to them. Resources and experience on certain lakes is what separates them from the locals. The mental side is another aspect, look at KVD, he's got the mental edge, just like Tiger.

The only true test of that is to put them all on Mystery lake 'X's for an entire season. A one off tournament is not sufficient because it's like an old football Adage "on any given Sunday". That's why I believe at any level, Angler of the Year is the true best angler. They prove over the year on many different lakes and weather conditions they can catch em.

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Kay Dyson] #4236709 12/10/09 05:27 PM
Clayton Frye Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

Good article Clayton, pretty much the long and the short of it.

Good luck in your dream, it's a tuff row to hoe, evidently.

Thanks Brother....

My Long time fishing partner and one of my best Friends puts it Perfect

"Everybody always wants to cry that things aren’t fair and that they could do it to with help. Truth of the matter is winners win because they do what they need to do to come out on top w/I the rules – fishing, life, work, whatever "

Give it 100%, 100% of the time and you will be a winner in his and your own eyes....NO EXCUSES!!!!

Last edited by CFRYE; 12/10/09 05:28 PM.
Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Clayton Frye] #4236717 12/10/09 05:32 PM
C
Crash8005 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: CFRYE
"Everybody always wants to cry that things aren’t fair and that they could do it to with help. Truth of the matter is winners win because they do what they need to do to come out on top w/I the rules – fishing, life, work, whatever "

Great quote!

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Clayton Frye] #4236719 12/10/09 05:33 PM
S
Steve Reed Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I've known this happens for a long time. But, honestly Peter T. is kind of selling out his fellow anglers.

For one, most of the guys readily will acknowledge they received help. I know Velvick has talked about it on tv, and others I've done articles for told me they had a guide or friend or both put them on some good spots.

Secondly, Peter T. isn't fishing blind himself. So as the saying goes, "those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

I feel like he just wanted to be the first to put it out in the open as an excuse for his poor season and it really was selling other guys out... not cool.

We have seen a lot of "spot" fishing lately and that is a result of this knowledge. I know that a few tournaments you can look at the writeup and see that a guy sat on a "sweet spot" well guess what, its probably something they were shown.

Does it matter to me? Not really. I think these guys are still the best out there and the fact that they can take info they receive and put it together in a few days still amazes me. If you look at the best guys in the sport and how they finish every year you'll see guys who can figure out the fish each day individually and will make the changes necessary.

Last edited by Steve Reed; 12/10/09 05:34 PM.
Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Ranger1] #4236731 12/10/09 05:36 PM
Michael Curbow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Ranger1
The same thing happens here on the local level as well.
Not to many guys around the metro go out and find their own fish, They share amongst themselves and take each other out and show them this and show them that. It is kinda like the no tell don't ask BS.
I know most guys will not agree nor admit this. But most know this goes on. If you are one that plays this game you will be the one that disagrees and the ones that have been effective in one fashion or another will agree.
And I am fully aware that this post is going to ruffle some feathers at least those that practice this.
I would like to see a tournament trail with no schedule and you sign up and meet at a certain park a lot in the am and pull the lake you are going to fish out of a hat and drive to the lake that morning. Everyone shows up and fishes blind so to speak. Then let see how these boys do. I truly beleive that alot of these guys ( not all) will be in trouble.

I must have missed this boat or am out of the metro inner circle, cause no one has ever offered me any waypoints or showed me where or how to catch any fish. I guess now any time someone is successful they will be labeled a cheater.

With everyone having different levels of income and sponsor support the playing field will never be totally fair. I cant afford side imaging right now. Should I cry and protest that everyone that can be required to turn theirs off because it is an unfair advantage. No, it just motivates me to fish harder.

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Steve Reed] #4236732 12/10/09 05:36 PM
T
Tebam11 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
CFRYE, who did you help on the RR, what place did you coach him to?

Last edited by Tebam11; 12/10/09 05:37 PM.

Tom Enloe

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Tebam11] #4236813 12/10/09 05:57 PM
Clayton Frye Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Man I would rather not say, but I can tell you this. Everything he did was inside the Rules of BASS. He is one Heck of angler....

He didnt Finish all that great...LOL! Just made some bad decisions. He was highly favored to win it!

My partner and I have over 10 brush piles sank in the area that Reese caught those fish in....and The guy I helped new everyone of them new all about that area and decided to make a last minute run south which happen to be the wrong decision at the time..."Obviously" but it could have went both ways.

So that is proof that even if a pro knows or any body else for that matter the exact area which an event "Can Be won in" Doesnt mean that he will make the right decision...at the right time.

When its your day, its your day. Any of those Elite hands can win on any day....there is a very small line that seperates the BEST FROM THE BEST.

Those guys are unreal! Im telling you! FREaKS when it come to finding and figuring out fish!

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Tebam11] #4236851 12/10/09 06:04 PM
S
soggybottom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I think the question is ,can a pro angler ranked say #50 compete with the top 5 week to week?
I say no. I think that over a season the top 5 or so, have so much help that an angler without that kind of "Team" support cant keep up.
Now you could make it like cycling. one guy wins but he obviuosly has a team. Team Yamaha with Skeeter McGee as team captain and the guy that fishes on sunday alone. Although He has had support from the 3 other anglers on his team the rest of the week. Scouting, trying different patterns and lures etc.

pledge= fishstick
Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Tebam11] #4236909 12/10/09 06:20 PM
C
Cableman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I haven't seen anyone crying on here or saying that KVD or other top pro's aren't any good. Just not as good as they are made out to be by others. I am sure if you put KVD and I on a lake that neither of us has been on. He would beat me 99 out of 100 (I should get lucky one time smile ) Put us on the same lakes and give me the info that he would normally get (if what is being said is true) and I win more then I lose.

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Cableman] #4236954 12/10/09 06:33 PM
J
Jimmie Moreland Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
this absolutely happens on the local level as well. If you guys think for 1 second that some of the Bass Champs guys weren't helped when they fished Eagle Mountain 2 years ago, your fools.....

Its not ILLEGAL, so who gives a damn.

682-232-6380

[Linked Image]
Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #4236975 12/10/09 06:37 PM
Clayton Frye Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

[/quote]Its not ILLEGAL, so who gives a damn[/quote]

Amen Brother....EXCUSES!

If its not against the rules....Get it done!

Last edited by CFRYE; 12/10/09 06:38 PM.
Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Clayton Frye] #4236995 12/10/09 06:43 PM
T
Texcwby Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I havnt read the rule book so I dont know where the rules state what. Thats one thing that I havnt seen posted what the rule ACTUALY says. Or is it a grey area? If it is a rule, or is not a rule and like it ot be a rule. Then tell me how to fairly enforce this rule? That is the hard part. Someone said they were asked by SK reps about who is the best in LL. Ok so there is a rule of no info to the angler. Sponser A goes out and gets information and sends angler A a shipment of baits before a tournament. Is that sharing info or not? If it is you going to remove that sponser from that angler? Guess really all I am saying is how you enforce that rule.

Info is there its a matter of getting it. There is info all over the TFF about all lakes over texas. Its a matter of finding it. example. I fished a new lake on black friday. I got on here searched the lake took notes of all the info I could find. I took that info to a map and came up with a plan that I attcked the lake with. Did I catch fish that would win me a tournament on that lake. I Dont think so. But heck I just a weekend fisherman with a big dream!

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Clayton Frye] #4237050 12/10/09 06:53 PM
C
Cableman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: CFRYE

Its not ILLEGAL, so who gives a damn[/quote]

Amen Brother....EXCUSES!

If its not against the rules....Get it done! [/quote]

EXCUSES?????

Are you reading another thread and posting your reply in here?

Re: This is why the guys at the top are so good. (Pro) [Re: Texcwby] #4237059 12/10/09 06:55 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Side imaging changes everything. I'll buy a good map and with the side imaging have a half dozen good structure spots on any lake by noon. Patterning the fish comes next. IMO that's where they are exceptionally strong.

Not saying these guys aren't getting info on locations but picking apart a lake got easier with SI.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide