Print Thread
Catawba worms questions.... #3842271 08/20/09 10:54 PM
S
Siberman Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
S
(Yeah, I know the correct spelling is "Catalpa". Blame it on "Hooked on Phonics").

My tree has a nice population of worms this year and I was wondering:

1) at what size to harvest them? Most are around 3" and some of them are still pretty pale.

2) Fresh or frozen ?

3) Any tips on attracting them to / keeping them on the trees ?

I've been told they only show up every 2 years (which seems to be the case on my 4 year old tree) and to always leave a few on the tree to encourage the next cycle. Do they take 2 years to hatch out into worms?

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: Siberman] #3843866 08/21/09 05:30 AM
G
GKR Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
when they're about as big as your pointer finger - done.

fresh is great but we catch a ton of fish on frozen. we tried corn meal but found a much better way. drop them fresh in boiling water (dont use the same pot your wife uses to cook your oatmeal). they dont need but 10-15 seconds. put 25 in a freezer baggie, water, freeze. the boiling toughens the skin and sets the color - makes a big difference.

when you fish them, thaw in a small bowl...keep the water. catch a small fish like a yellow bass, scale it and cut into thin strips. Soak the strips in the juice. you can do this with shrimp on very slow drift days. whatever soaks in the juice - the fish tend to hit it pretty well. some days, the fish will hit soaked strips better than the worms themselves (but not often...)

trees - yes, leave some. if you have several trees, you can transplant. we have worms every year. my dad and I planted about 40 saplings. He keeps them pruned to about 8 ft. the big factors are rain and wasps/ants. If its bone dry - few worms. If the ants/wasps are bad - few worms. be sure to keep the ants away from your tree trunk - kill the mounds.

if you've never made soured grain, it's a blast fishing shallow with fiberglass poles and chumming grain. A quart tossed in an arc near the boat will call them from the other side of the lake. use your worms for bait.

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: GKR] #3843951 08/21/09 06:25 AM
B
Bigblue or Gaspergoo Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: GKR

fresh is great but we catch a ton of fish on frozen. we tried corn meal but found a much better way. drop them fresh in boiling water (dont use the same pot your wife uses to cook your oatmeal). they dont need but 10-15 seconds. put 25 in a freezer baggie, water, freeze. the boiling toughens the skin and sets the color - makes a big difference.

when you fish them, thaw in a small bowl...keep the water. catch a small fish like a yellow bass, scale it and cut into thin strips. Soak the strips in the juice. you can do this with shrimp on very slow drift days. whatever soaks in the juice - the fish tend to hit it pretty well. some days, the fish will hit soaked strips better than the worms themselves (but not often...)

trees - yes, leave some. if you have several trees, you can transplant. we have worms every year. my dad and I planted about 40 saplings. He keeps them pruned to about 8 ft. the big factors are rain and wasps/ants. If its bone dry - few worms. If the ants/wasps are bad - few worms. be sure to keep the ants away from your tree trunk - kill the mounds.

if you've never made soured grain, it's a blast fishing shallow with fiberglass poles and chumming grain. A quart tossed in an arc near the boat will call them from the other side of the lake. use your worms for bait.

Pretty sure your not supposed to use yellow bass for bait, I believe they are considered a gamefish...

"The wife said shes gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time"! I'm sure gonna miss her...
Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: Bigblue or Gaspergoo] #3844760 08/21/09 02:38 PM
S
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Bigblue or Gaspergoo

Pretty sure your not supposed to use yellow bass for bait, I believe they are considered a gamefish...

+1 Yellow bass are game fish!

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: GKR] #3845488 08/21/09 05:04 PM
G
GKR Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
yep - my bad. "small fish like bream". keep us legal...

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: GKR] #3847076 08/21/09 10:47 PM
F
Fishman101592 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
What trees do you normally find these worms in?

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: Fishman101592] #3847695 08/22/09 01:56 AM
G
GKR Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
its actually a catalpa tree (we pronounce it cuhtawbuh but we cant say anything correctly in east texas anyway). the tree is an ornamental (no fruit, nuts, etc) originally grown as a shade tree (it has big leaves). the "worms" are a stage of the sphynx moth if I remember right. they love those big leaves...will strip them down to nothing but limbs and veins.

i've met people who absolutely hate the worms and have no clue they're good for anything. One lady told us - "oh, i wish you'd come get those nasty things off my tree. They're crawling all over my driveway, on the side of my garage, all over the place. When I see 'em, I kill 'em but there's just too many of them." We nearly died on the spot...catfish gold and she's running over them with the car.

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: GKR] #3849404 08/22/09 04:59 PM
F
Fishman101592 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
What are the worms or whatever they are that seem to attack and destroy my red bud tree every year they seem to leave like these silk sacks or something.

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: Siberman] #3849612 08/22/09 06:36 PM
C
C T Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: Fishman101592] #3849968 08/22/09 09:24 PM
S
Siberman Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Fishman101592
What trees do you normally find these worms in?

Catalpa trees look kinda like large redbuds with a light-colored trunk but they have purdy white flower clusters in May / June. The worms look like a large version of swallowtail butterly catapillars but they're black on top and a pale green / cream color on the underside.

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: Fishman101592] #3849971 08/22/09 09:26 PM
S
Siberman Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Fishman101592
What are the worms or whatever they are that seem to attack and destroy my red bud tree every year they seem to leave like these silk sacks or something.

Are they little individual sacks (bagworms) or a big spider-web-looking "tent" with all the worms inside ?

Re: Catawba worms questions.... [Re: SoonerDG] #3849979 08/22/09 09:29 PM
K
Keystone Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
K
Originally Posted By: SoonerDG
Originally Posted By: Bigblue or Gaspergoo

+1 Yellow bass are game fish!

Game Fish?? Yes for now they are not legal for bait..
Question? How do Yellow Bass get into our lakes? Stocked? NO! Same way Gar,Carp,Drum,Bowfin....Via rivers,creeks,,
I dont understand laws on Barr fish,No limits,keep as many as you want,No size limits,most dont get big anyway,,,all that and we can't use them for bait---Kinna silly.
I once has a small barr fish on,and took my time,like 10 minutes to reel it in,never got to reel it in before a huge blue cat swallowed the yellow bolt

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide