I don't think that is right Nathan. Direct fuel injection, which can be used on either type engine, two-stroke or four-stroke, meets the EPA regulations. It's the carburetor that causes the problem and is being eliminated. In fact I believe the Evinrude reveived an award for the ETEC motor being so clean, which is a two-stroke. Mercury also has the Optimax, a two-stroke, direct fuel injected motor that meets the regulations. Unlike Evinrude, they don't make a mid-range Opti, at least not yet. They started making a 75hp Opti this year, so maybe they will make a 50 next year.

As of December 31st, no additional carb outboards may be manufactured. They will grandfather the sell of their inventory after that date, but no new ones will be constructed.

I talked to a Yamaha rep and he confirmed that they will not make any announcements concerning new products until they have sold most of their existing carb inventory, or at least not before the end of the year. They may eliminate their two stroke line along with the carb., but then again, they may start building a direct fuel injected two-strokes to remain competitive in that area. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by gcf; 07/14/09 06:29 PM.