Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: krypto357] #3670565 07/08/09 11:25 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
On hubbard Friday and Sunday the jetfleas and ski-boats at the 66 ramp in rockwall were idiots. I had set for 15 minutes trying to get in to park my boat and load it. They were loading stuff in the boat while the family is standing over on the bank.(His wife could have pulled the truck and trailer away from the ramp) The jetflea owners were standing on the dock talking on their cell phone. I finally got their attention and motioned with arms(as saying what the (censored) is up). The some poor fella in a bass boat pulled up and I could tell he was in a panick so I motioned him to go in front. come to find out he said his boat was taking on water andstarting to sink..

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: BThomas] #3670742 07/09/09 12:10 AM
L
lureklr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
you must say guys that noone one the earth can launch a boat like an angler i know im fast my brother and i fished the mcdonalds tourny and we could launch his boat and put it back on the trailer, asa team in under one min takes ten min per jet flea they just dont have what we have sorry for the run on statement there

if work is so easy then im going fishin
Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: lureklr] #3670889 07/09/09 01:00 AM
jwcromer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
boat ramp manners?...............there are none..........there never will be any..............so we must learn to deal with it.....if you stop and explain what should be done to people there to DUMB to even know what you are talking about......I understand Christopher Columbas took up 2 spaces when he launched............Noah started loading the animals when he was on the ramp,now that took some time..........lets not even talk about Captain Ahab and what he did

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: jwcromer] #3670941 07/09/09 01:12 AM
S
safisher Offline
Angler
Angler
S
This topic never grows old smile

On the flip side, a nice boater offered to help me out and pulled my truck up the ramp for me at Canyon Lake Marina and parked it so I could launch and clear the ramp faster (the courtesy docks are a couple of hundred yards away, so it's hard to launch by yourself).

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: jwcromer] #3670965 07/09/09 01:18 AM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: jwcromer
boat ramp manners?...............there are none..........there never will be any..............so we must learn to deal with it.....if you stop and explain what should be done to people there to DUMB to even know what you are talking about......I understand Christopher Columbas took up 2 spaces when he launched............Noah started loading the animals when he was on the ramp,now that took some time..........lets not even talk about Captain Ahab and what he did

LOL .....

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: BThomas] #3671300 07/09/09 02:21 AM
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
They are out there.

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: Big Red 12] #3671312 07/09/09 02:24 AM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Boat ramps are frustrating and also entertaining. smile

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: Brandon82] #3671339 07/09/09 02:29 AM
C
Capt'n Wings Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
At the saltwater ramp and bait camp at the old Galveston Yacht Basin the owner directed traffic like a traffic cop and kept them moving. He was a bad a__ and people did what he said. There's no reason a marina couldn't spend a few bucks on a busy weekend for the same thing.

"Faith requires one to elevate the practice of not thinking to a virtue," Mark Twain
Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: Brandon82] #3671365 07/09/09 02:34 AM
D
Double Digit Fishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I live near T-wok and i spent a lot of my life waiting on the weekender boater AKA city folk. Although i am cheep i have found it easier to pay 3-5 bucks to put my boat in at a private boat dock. It sucks to pay but it also sucks to sit on the couch on sat-sunday because of city folk

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: Brandon82] #3671606 07/09/09 03:19 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Since I've been launching at a private club launch I have'nt had to deal with any knotheads at boat ramps. I'll be going down to Port Aransas for a couple of weeks in August and I'm sure I'll get a years worth in two weeks. What not to do on a boat ramp.

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: DEERSTRANGLER�] #3671752 07/09/09 03:59 AM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Have had some interesting moments at the ramp the last few days. On July 4th, instead of being in a hurry to get trailered up, I just beached my boat & helped out a few folks who seemed to need it. Of course, there were some idiots who I stayed away from.

Likewise, on things like headlights, usually all I have to do is walk down to the driver and ask him if he would mind turning them off so I can see what I'm doing - haven't had a jerk on that yet.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: BossHawg] #3671760 07/09/09 04:03 AM
RedTopLady Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BossHawg
Originally Posted By: Hard Rain
Another issue is turning off your lights when loading/unloading. It seems every time I launch at GV (Murrel) there is someone on the ramp with their lights on and it is fishermen.

No way you can see to back up in that situation...I just wait...

Not to argue the well put point (i've been on the receiving end) but some can't turn off their lights - My Chevy has the auto lights on doohickey scared
Of course when you'll be at a stop for any length of time the dern key can be turned off cheers

Most vehicles now have the "auto lights on doohickey" but you have other selections that allows you to turn them off, at least I am pretty sure my chevy is not the only truck that has that option.

Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: Uncle Zeek] #3671829 07/09/09 04:38 AM
J
jkmccoy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I find it really amazing that none of you have ever witnessed bad manners by fishermen! ALL of the poor behavior your have seen on boat ramps has been by skiers and pleasure boaters! You have obviously never arrived at your favorite ramp (the only ramp on the lake) to find that there's a bass tournament going on and they won't let you onto the ramp or let you tie up to the dock because it is so important that they get to the weigh-in station on time. Apparently you've never had the fishermen curse you and act like you're trash because you would like to use the same lake where they are fishing. Both have happened to me.

I'll admit that I'm a little slower on the ramp than some people. I have a big boat. It weighs 5000# and is so tall that I have to tie up to the dock because otherwise it isn't possible to get on and off. I do load and unload all gear and prep the boat in the parking lot and have my wife drive the truck/trailer off the ramp when we launch, but the process still takes a few minutes. I try to be respectful of people who appear to be in a hurry and people who look like they will launch or retrieve more quickly than I can. I also keep my boat/trailer within the lane markers on the ramp.

It doesn't matter what sport you are talking about (fishing, skiing, cruising, jet skiis) most of the participants are respectful, pleasant, and courteous. Some of the people participating in all of these sports are disrespectful, discourteous, and/or ignorant of proper behavior. There are enough people who behave poorly (everywhere, not just on boat ramps) that you can really raise your blood pressure complaining about it. Take a deep breath, wait a few minutes, and hope that the really ignorant and uneducated jerks don't have kids.

Cheers,
Kelly McCoy
West Texas

Last edited by jkmccoy; 07/09/09 05:44 AM.

Everyone should believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer.
Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: jkmccoy] #3671972 07/09/09 08:00 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Originally Posted By: jkmccoy
I find it really amazing that none of you have ever witnessed bad manners by fishermen! ALL of the poor behavior your have seen on boat ramps has been by skiers and pleasure boaters! You have obviously never arrived at your favorite ramp (the only ramp on the lake) to find that there's a bass tournament going on and they won't let you onto the ramp or let you tie up to the dock because it is so important that they get to the weigh-in station on time. Apparently you've never had the fishermen curse you and act like you're trash because you would like to use the same lake where they are fishing. Both have happened to me.

I'll admit that I'm a little slower on the ramp than some people. I have a big boat. It weighs 5000# and is so tall that I have to tie up to the dock because otherwise it isn't possible to get on and off. I do load and unload all gear and prep the boat in the parking lot and have my wife drive the truck/trailer off the ramp when we launch, but the process still takes a few minutes. I try to be respectful of people who appear to be in a hurry and people who look like they will launch or retrieve more quickly than I can. I also keep my boat/trailer within the lane markers on the ramp.

It doesn't matter what sport you are talking about (fishing, skiing, cruising, jet skiis) most of the participants are respectful, pleasant, and courteous. Some of the people participating in all of these sports are disrespectful, discourteous, and/or ignorant of proper behavior. There are enough people who behave poorly (everywhere, not just on boat ramps) that you can really raise your blood pressure complaining about it. Take a deep breath, wait a few minutes, and hope that the really ignorant and uneducated jerks don't have kids.

Cheers,
Kelly McCoy
West Texas

Great post! Fisherman and pleasure boaters alike are at fault. Personally I've more issues with bass fisherman than the jet fleas. Its a stereotype, or so it seems to me. Folks look at your boat, and judge your knowledge or lack thereof by what your launching or driving on the water. and then there are those that remove all doubt by doing stupid chit bang

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Boat ramp manners [Re: TreeBass] #3672463 07/09/09 02:05 PM
R
ringer Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
R
I would bet that the fishermen are in the minority on launching issues. Bottom line is like anything else. People who do something like launching a lot will be better at it than a person who occasionally takes the boat out for a day. Plenty of fishermen blow the no wake zones or run too close to another boat but most can launch in 5 minutes or less. I just figure most of the problems are people who have no clue about the basic rules for the ramp or the lake so I tend to just shake my head and relax.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide