Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: triton [Re: Joefishin] #3408203 04/29/09 07:34 PM
PGR Mike Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I've owned 4 Tritons. The Tr-21 is a good boat. They improved the ride and performance with the X, and the X2 was even better.

Any boat that has a V pad, will eventually chine walk if you push it fast enough. Setup will reduce this effect, but not eliminate it.

I'll put a Triton up against any boat on the water as far as overall ride and performance.

There are issues with all boats, and each boat has it pro's and con's. So there isn't a perfect fishing platform. It all comes down to personal preference.

Driving ability is another issue. Most weekend warriors are ok drivers. However, there is a tremendous difference between a weekend warrior, and someone who drives a boat 3-5 days a week for a living.

Don't paint all boats with the same paint brush. Take Rangers for example. There are several years and models of Rangers that were just plain old lead sleds. Those in particular were in the 80's and 90's, until the 5 series came out. The Z boat was even better.

So if you want the overall best riding/performing boat on the market, I'd have to go with Basscat, Triton, Champion. Rangers and Skeeters are up there too.

If anyone doubts a Ranger, I'll take a buddy's Z-21 up to Texoma when it is rolling 5-7's and it will open your eyes how well it rides. Then we will do the same in my Tr-186 Triton. Yes, it won't be able to climb on top of those big waves like the 21 footer, but I'll show you how to get it through that water and stay completely dry.

So it goes back to what I've been saying for years, IT ISN'T THE ARROW, IT IS THE INDIAN!

Re: triton [Re: PGR Mike] #3409078 04/29/09 10:44 PM
F
fatman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
when I first got my Tr 21 it chine walked bad the boat dealor told me to just drive thru it it would almost swap ends and come to an complete stop at 70 pretty quick. a buddy of mine that owned a skeeter set it up for me no problems with it since.when I get it up around 70+ and it starts chine walking I just trim down a little and it stops and I usualy get a few more rpm out of her

Re: triton [Re: Darrell] #3409305 04/29/09 11:44 PM
george Greider Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
My tr21XDDC really likes the jack plate all the way up with a fury 26 pitch prop. Dosen't chine walk a bit and hahdles very rough water with ease. Very heavy boat, runs at 72 gps wot.Setup is everything.

Re: triton [Re: george Greider] #3409452 04/30/09 12:21 AM
C
Clint Wr Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
** I am not affiliated with Triton or any boat company **

I owned a Skeeter ZX300 and now a Triton TR21 X Series. Let me tell you that they are two great boats.
I now own a Triton TR21 HP X Series. When I bought the Triton I had it for one week and was begging the dealer to give me my money back because I could not drive it. (I have driven high performance boats for many years) They would calm me down on the phone and say give it time. I was used to just slamming down the hot foot and driving (like driving a Cadillac - Skeeter). It took me three weeks to get used to my Triton (like driving a Ferrari). Now I drive it with ease.
Skeeter and Triton Similarities (In my opinion) - Great Storage, Safe Boat, Great Fish ability with one, two or three anglers, Great Performance (turns etc.), Great Speed, Well Made.
Skeeter and Triton Differences (In my opinion) - Triton is slightly faster (the HP model only and this is the only model I would ever own). Triton you get to choose your motor, I do like that.
Rough Water is pretty much depending on the driver. I can take a 17 foot boat and make the passenger think it is the best boat on the market in rough water. In my opinion, the boat brand has nothing to do with rough water capabilities, only length of the boat and the driver (Slow is Fast and Fast is Slow - in rough water. Unless you want to put ware and tear on the boat and risk personal injury)

Re: triton [Re: Clint Wr] #3409698 04/30/09 01:00 AM
Z
ZigZag Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Skeeter 142,
Listen to Bristow, and Clint Wright......
That should end your dilema.
We fished Amistad and Falcon in the 70's in 15' tri'-hulls.
No problem with chine walk. Sometimes trouble with getting from 28 back to Diablo. Remember, it's not the boat that gets you wet, it's the 'water'....look at it. I run a 181 Champ/150 and feel totaly safe. Course it won't run 72. Take care.
Jim

Re: triton [Re: Darrell] #3409715 04/30/09 01:02 AM
GMC Offline
Angler
Angler
I have the TR196 as well - It got squirrely at 74 (Evenrude 200 HO) but it chine walks at about 63. I think the extra foot to two feet make a big differance like the 21's mentioned above. I've been in short skeeters and long skeeters that have the same problem. Just what it seems like to me.

Last edited by GMC; 04/30/09 01:03 AM.

Skeeter/Yamaha
Falcon Rods
Re: triton [Re: GMC] #3409818 04/30/09 01:17 AM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
All of the " high performance " boats require some seat time to be able to drive them comfortably. I will never forget my first Triton, I had been running Rangers for 12 years, my dealer switched over to Triton and I followed, wow was I scared half to death when I turned that 98 TR 21 loose, since then they have improved a bunch on driveability. I have had what many call the best boat made, in my humble opinion there is not another boat that will outshine a Triton in looks, speed,layout and how it fishes.

[Linked Image]
Re: triton [Re: ZigZag] #3410534 04/30/09 03:28 AM
PGR Mike Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The offer still stands. I will take anyone out for a demo ride. I too am not affiliated with Triton at all. For any boat company for that matter.

I will say this, when I take you out, I want the wind blowing 25 MPH or more on a big lake. The length of my Tr-186 is actually 18'3". It will be an good eye opener for you. We can bring a BassCat, and a Ranger 21 footer. What you will learn is they are all good rides now.

So I go back to my first statement, it is the Indian, not the Arrow!

Re: triton [Re: PGR Mike] #3410861 04/30/09 05:59 AM
B
Big CountryTR21 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Wow Triton26lf you took this post to another level. First off out of all the garbage you see in signatures on the TFF you take a harmless redneck joke and turn it into that. You ever heard "Scopes on a rifle are for women and children" or "That flavored snuff is for women and children." I mean come on give me break it is a joke with a Triton twist. I don't know what your deal is but I am not changing my sig for one guy getting upset in the 2+ years I have had it. It is nothing against any friend, family member of yours or anyone else. It is for Triton and non Triton runners to get a kick out of the chine walking dilema. I have had both women and children in my boat that are affraid of it until I get it to stop walkin. You know I would apologize but I see no need for it in this situation. Back to the topic on hand I think between the owner of a fiberglass shop,and a guide on one of the roughest most dangerous lakes in the state the point has been proven.

Only women and children are scared of a little chine walking.
Re: triton [Re: Big CountryTR21] #3411642 04/30/09 02:08 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Man, I loved those '98 TR21s. You did have to drive that puppy.

Re: triton [Re: furim2] #3411875 04/30/09 02:52 PM
Joefishin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Yes it is the Indian not the Arrow, agreed.

But the fact remains some boats handle rough water better than others. A good driver can overcome the shortcomings of the hull design. But...... a Champion is a much better rough water boat than a Skeeter...... FACT

Re: triton [Re: Rugby55] #3413341 04/30/09 08:15 PM
J
Jason23 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I am the owner of my 2nd Triton and will never own anyhting else. With that said the boat I have now is a 04 Tr19X. I read so many articles about chine walking and setup to make my head explode. The bottom line is (yes) all Triton's will chine walk but they will walk alot worse if not setup properly. Mine would start walking really bad at about 55mph. With some patience and comparisons to other Triton boat owners of similar boats I found out that my jackplate was set all the way to the bottom. So I moved it up about 1 inch and it is now a totally different ride and I am hitting the rev limiter 6000rpms with very slight but correctable chine walk and running over 70mph. I am now going to get a 26p Tempest Plus Prop to drop my rpms. You guys that have 19ft or bigger Tritons should all be running over 70mph with little to no walk if you have it setup properly.

Re: triton [Re: marlin hunter] #3413566 04/30/09 09:11 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: marlin hunter
Chine walk in a boat is not a set-up issue, it is a hull design issue. The boat at high speeds is seeking a surface to set on, if the hull is designed correctly it will set on the pad and you will not have to check the wheel to get the boat to stabilize. The Skeeters ride like the do because the engineers that redesigned the hull in the early 2000's were Jet Aircraft Engineers at Lockheed that were used to designing things that ran a lot faster than a boat.

okay my friend... that is NOT true! my ole bullet will BOOOGY. i went 92.4 and it never chine walked with me driving, cause i had it SETUP correctly.
prop shaft height key
engine trim was key
correct prop was key
and yes, the driver helps too.
all these are setup issues.

if you are still having problems driving your triton, bring it to me. get an 8" plate, from hydro dynamics put on. i'll set the engine height, and take it out and show you it will run, with very little to NO steering input!

yes, setting up a triton is similar to a bullet. prop shaft needs to be higher than most, and use slightly more than neutral trim. about 4 on the smart craft gauge.
on my old bullet i only trimmed to 3.2. any more and the bow would fly and the boat will go CRAZY. that's part of SETUP and driving the boat!!!!!

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Re: triton [Re: PGR Mike] #3413579 04/30/09 09:14 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: North Texas Fiberglass
The offer still stands. I will take anyone out for a demo ride. I too am not affiliated with Triton at all. For any boat company for that matter.

I will say this, when I take you out, I want the wind blowing 25 MPH or more on a big lake. The length of my Tr-186 is actually 18'3". It will be an good eye opener for you. We can bring a BassCat, and a Ranger 21 footer. What you will learn is they are all good rides now.

So I go back to my first statement, it is the Indian, not the Arrow!

Michael.... can i bring a 21xrd Bullet with a 250XS?????? PLEASE!!! smile

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Re: triton [Re: skeeter142] #3413764 04/30/09 09:54 PM
T
texas rigged Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I forgot to read this one again.
PRICELESS!

I swear everyone alive thinks they have a sense of humor, can pick-up women and DRIVE a v-bottom boat!
You boys feel free to pick which if ANY apply. But I am certain of one thing. It is for sure that if you are dealing with chine walk at under 70mph in a bass boat, it is set up like a dump truck!! If you stick a rudder too far in the water it begins to act as a steering keel and wobbles back and forth based upon the torque input from the v-based six cylinder engine turning the prop.
Additionally, a true V Bottom will not sit on water or any other surface without leaning or falling all together. Just try and sit on a bike at a stand still and see what happens.
The reason people say a Skeeter doesn't "walk" is that it is a flatter bottom. Just like how a Stroker is more forgiving than an Allison. Just easier, nothing to do with the Ally or Triton being bad.

TRITONS are simply a deep Vee bottom they DO NOT WALK ANYMORE THAN ANY OTHER Vee BOTTOM of equal depth, some say less.
Good Grief Mike is telling you he will take you out and prove this. Go drive an allison XB2003 and then you will never say another word about Tritons.
I know there are some hard heads out there and some that just are too quick to speak without knowing but a Triton has nothing to do with the problem. Actually they are a very well built boat and very fast.I have DRIVEN a dang Triton TR20 to 94.7MPH. Trust me that isn't gonna work if it is Walking around. The idea that people "give up" on boats that are only capable of 72mph is ridiculous. Get the boat set-up right (Let me repeat: Mike, Tommy, Steve) and if you can't drive stop saying it is the boat!!
A bunch of this Sounds like the fat guy leaving Hooters talking about that girl was a "witch", yep that must be it!! Because we all know if she wasn't you would have pulled her, got Dennis Miller's jokes and been able to drive a Triton at 80mph!

I need a sandwich!

FANNING LAW

214-317-9177

Criminal & Family Law for DFW sportsmen and their families.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide