Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33747 04/16/06 12:51 PM
The Fishing Physicist Offline
YOLO
YOLO
Quote:
Originally posted by Nautilus:
OK, what would be the difference in an E-tec HO and a regular E-tec? I noticed that they don't make the 250 in an HO...why and what is it? Is this the same as the "XS"?? Why does Merc not make a 250 XS? The answer to this question may make my decision...can anyone shed any light on it? Is it High-Output and Xtra Speed? LOL...neither website explains it very well if at all.
It is my understanding that there is some leeway in outboard motor horsepower ratings. I believe some 10%. In other words if you get a 200 hp motor it might actually produce as little as 180 hp, or as much as 220 hp, or anything in between. The 200HOs, 200XSs, etc. are nothing more than respectively a 200 hp e-tec, and 200 Optimax that have been carefully tuned to produce 220 hp.

In the case of 225 hp motors the 'tuned' versions will be 247.5 hp.

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33748 04/16/06 01:15 PM
Nautilus Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
The HO and the Pro XS are only made in the 225 class........would I rather have a 225Pro than a regular 250?

Honestly,

If you guys could have ANY motor...which one would it be?

Does anyone know of a good Evinrude warranty outlet in the metroplex? Where could I take it to get it serviced if I got it?

Nautilus...All Roads Lead To The Lake!
Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33749 04/16/06 01:23 PM
YOLO
YOLO
Quote:
OK...let's say I go Merc, which is what I think I'm gonna do, is there really no 250XS? Oh well, I guess the 225 will work. Would the 250 Verado outperform the 225XS? I only get to do this once....what would you guys want if you could have either?
This is my 2.

I'd avoid the Verado. Twofold reason here.
  1. Greater initial cost
  2. Greater weight/mass

A. This issues is self-explanatory.

B. This issue is as simple as F = ma To be more to the point here a = F / m. (Where F is thrust in pounds or Newtons, m is mass in slugs, or kilograms, and a is acceleration in feet/second*second, or meters/second*second.)

For a given amount of thrust the mass of an object will be the determining factor in acceleration of the object. In aerospace circles this is referred to as the 'thrust to mass ratio'. A hole shot is in part a function of the thrust to mass ratio. Any drag race between outboards that evenly matched in terms of all other factors will have as an outcome the outboard with the highest thrust to mass ratio winning every time.

This is in part the basis of the 2>4 advertising campaign by Evinrude, as a two cycle outboard is generally quite a bit lighter than a four cycle outboard that produces the same horsepower.

Do realize that both Evinrude & Mercury are feeding the public sales 'propaganda'. Their info is going to be biased toward themselves respectively. That said I do find it interesting that Mercury has produced the Verado as their flagship line of outboards, while Evinrude has gone with the e-tec. If the Optimax is such a great engine then why the Verado?

One last point there are some four cycle outboards that weigh the same or very nearly the same as most two cycle outboards of the same horsepower rating. This does not mean that such 'fours' produce the same amount of torque as a 'two' of comparable horsepower, but just that the weights are comparable.

Above all else hold these two things in the greatest of circumspection; government and self.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33750 04/16/06 01:28 PM
YOLO
YOLO
Quote:
The HO and the Pro XS are only made in the 225 class........would I rather have a 225Pro than a regular 250?

Honestly,

If you guys could have ANY motor...which one would it be?

Does anyone know of a good Evinrude warranty outlet in the metroplex? Where could I take it to get it serviced if I got it?
Right now I'd be inclined to go with a 250 hp e-tec. Again my 2.

Well, let me elaborate on the 225HO vs. 250 issue. It seems to me that the outboard manufactures are 'getting cute' with the HO stuff. If you've got a boat that has a max rating of 225 then getting a 250 is not a wise idea from a liability perspective. Thus, the 'clever' use of the 10% of the rated horsepower is for a getting an outboard with more actual horsepower onto a boat than the boat is seemingly rated for. If a boat is rated for say 275 horsepower then I see no advantage in equipping it with a 225HO, rather than a 250, as both are basically the same motor and weigh the same down to the pound.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33751 04/16/06 01:28 PM
W
waydon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Go to www.bassboatcentral.com then go to the johnson/evinrude board and see what the three moderators say about the e-tec... All three of them are pro mechanics that work on outboards... Register and post a question to seahorse,he has a lot of experince rigging and running the type of boat you are talking about... You can also read reports from e-tec owners from around the world.... Good luck with whatever you pick....

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33752 04/16/06 01:29 PM
Nautilus Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I totally agree...If the XS is the best motor, what purpose does the Verado serve? I think they work better on bigger boats where torque helps alot and weight is not as big an issue. They are basically an I/B turned O/B. The only thing that is going to make me get a Merc is the availabilty of service and that is sad. If I can convince myself tht I could get it serviced easily, I would get an E-tec. Anyone know of a GOOD service center??

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33753 04/16/06 01:32 PM
Nautilus Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks Waydon1,

I'll try it. I found a 12 page arguement between professional racers about the 3 engines MERC, E-tec, YAM, and they couldn't come to any agreement on anything. I truly don't know what information is real since every statistic is contradicted somewhere else.

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33754 04/16/06 01:33 PM
Nautilus Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
250 E-tec was my first choice if I can find a service and warranty center.

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33755 04/16/06 01:46 PM
YOLO
YOLO
Quote:
I totally agree...If the XS is the best motor, what purpose does the Verado serve? I think they work better on bigger boats where torque helps alot and weight is not as big an issue. They are basically an I/B turned O/B. The only thing that is going to make me get a Merc is the availabilty of service and that is sad. If I can convince myself tht I could get it serviced easily, I would get an E-tec. Anyone know of a GOOD service center??
I am NOT sure about this, but it is my understanding that the ProXS Mercs are racing outboards. If this is the case then these motors are tuned within an inch of their lives to get the maximum torque, horsepower etc. from them. I would not be inclined to equip my bassboat with one. I'd prefer a more moderately tuned motor to get better longevity, robustness, and reliability.

YOLO=Schiefspiegler
Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33756 04/16/06 01:57 PM
Nautilus Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
OK, this should be an easy question to answer:

Why is there no 250 2 stoke listed anywhere on Merucry's website??? Do they not make them anymore? And if they do, do they make a 250 Pro XS? At this point I don't think Mercury is even an option for me if I want a 250.

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33757 04/16/06 02:03 PM
F
fishmagnet Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Rockwall Marine can service 'your' Evinrude E-Tec!

DJT
Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33758 04/16/06 02:11 PM
Nautilus Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks fishmagnet,

I wonder why there are no only a couple dealers listed on Evinrude's website.....there has got to be one in Lewisville or something. Heck, Texoma would even be fine.....that's where I'll be fishing the most anyways.

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33759 04/16/06 02:27 PM
W
waydon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I agree with fishng physicist...These high performance outboards are tweaked to the max for high rpms and speed on bass boat hulls...I think they have a shorter warranty time also...I don't know if you would gain anything on the type of boat you have with a high performance engine.... Again check out the bbc and see what owners from around the world are saying about e-tec... Tommy yetts at rockwall marine is an Evinrude dealer... Ask him about the e-tec....

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33760 04/16/06 03:06 PM
Nautilus Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
After some reading on BBC....I am going with an E-tec I think. It seems she is one impressive motor. The one thing in the back of my mind is this: The comments about the E-tec may be because noone expected it to be that good and Evinrude hasn't made a motor to this caliber in a while and maybe the reason there are no super-enthusiastic posts about the MERC is that people already expect a perfect motor from Mercury and that's what they got!

Re: Bought the E-Tec .....Thanks Guys!!!!!! #33761 04/16/06 04:03 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Any of the xs motors will be listed in the mercury racing store. The 250xs is one nice motor.

I remember North Texas Fiberglass in Denton had a 225 pro xs for sale at a great price a couple of weeks ago and I don't know if they have disposed of it yet.

The Mercury racing motors may not all be the best choice for some aplicatiions like large cc boats.

The 200xs is a very nice motor and spins up to 6500. There is also a 2.5xs that is 225 horsepower that mercury only sold for one year but it is still available and for a good price.

Originally Posted by Jons3825
I am wrong but you can not prove it, you just believe it enough from the bottom of your heart.....
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide