Forums59
Topics1,047,405
Posts14,105,853
Members144,388
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? #3269608 03/25/09 02:22 AM
J
jeepthing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
I guess I never really thought about it until tonight reading a earlier post by someone else. The post is about an alligator slide in Lewisville. Well here's my question, and please have serious answers because my kids are everything to me.
My girls and I love to fish in the summertime, usually Ray Roberts, and when it gets hot they love finding a small cove where no one is fishing and is stump free (I always make sure) and then swim for a little while with their life jackets on. More like jumping in and bobbing up and down, but they love it. Back to my question, have we been doing something dangerous and not even realized it for the past couple of years??? Like stated before, never really thought about it because you see skiers and wakeboarders in all the local lakes, but we are usually trying to get away from all the crazy's and find a quiet spot. Have I been putting my family in danger? Again, serious answers only please.
Jay
P.S. I always get in first, not sure if that makes a difference or not?

Jay "Jeepthing" Bush
Registered Architect
Bush Architects, LLC
Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: jeepthing] #3269654 03/25/09 02:29 AM
M
Mr.Beverly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I mean there's always a chance of getting bit by a water moccasin every time you jump in, getting bit by an alligator is an even less chance than that. I wouldnt worry about it unless I was in a swampy area or see signs of alligators.

I swim in my lake all the time, and I do believe we have more alligators than most other lakes in Texas. Not quite sure on that though.

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: Mr.Beverly] #3269813 03/25/09 03:13 AM
S
Sethfish2 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I fish lewisville all the time and I would say most likely what the person saw was a beaver slide. I have yet to see any sign that would cause me to even worry about that scenario. Now there was a very large alligator that was killed on lake lewisville and if I remember correctly it was tied to a stump or something, I remember seeing it reported on the news.

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: Sethfish2] #3269919 03/25/09 03:52 AM
C
Capt'n Wings Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
All the lakes in Northeast and Southeast Texas have gators. Conroe, Lake Houston, Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend, Fork, Lewisville, Palestine, Etc. They are not aggressive unless a nest or hatchlings are threatened. The problem is, how to keep from threatening them by accident? Personally, I don't swim in anything unless it's made out of concrete. If a shark or alligator has to do any walking to get at me, then I'm gonna' win. If I have to swim to get away, he wins. Actually, I've found that the very best shark and gator repellant is air conditioning.

"Faith requires one to elevate the practice of not thinking to a virtue," Mark Twain
Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: Capt'n Wings] #3269938 03/25/09 03:58 AM
N
NateP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
gators can run faster than humans

"life aint bad if you live it right" -OMR

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: NateP] #3270206 03/25/09 06:23 AM
M
mjpotts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I learned to ski on Fork. Still do, just not anywhere there might be a gator, like LITTLE CANEY CREEK!!!!!
We stay in the deeper water. I guess were safe. I don't know. Always heard of there being gators in local lakes but never seen one. May be a little leary this summer after reading and seeing pics on here.

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: mjpotts] #3270435 03/25/09 12:15 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
If you pay attention to all the post about gators the people that post about worrying about them are the ones from the areas that do not have many gators. If you come down to the lakes that have a lot of gators (ex: Livingston) you will see that people really don't worry about them. Just don't get around thier nest and you are fine. I have wade fished around them for years in February and March. I would be more hesitant to walk around their area in May or June. They are really very docile animals 99% of the time. I can remember standing in the water next to my dock on Livingston when I lived there working on it with my father in law until just after dark. My vapor light was on so I could see to work. When I finished I walked around to the garage took off my waders walked in the house grabbed my plate of supper and and went and sat in the living room to eat and watch the Rockets. I looked out at the water and there was a gator swimming right down the dock I had just been working on less than 5 minutes earlier. I am sure he sat and waited for me to leave before he went to where he wanted to go.

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: jeepthing] #3270475 03/25/09 12:31 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
I don't think you have anything to worry about. You are most likely not swimming where these gators are located. That is unless you are seeking water with heavy timber, somewhat shallow, lots and lots of cover, etc. to take your family swimming. If that is the kind of water you look for to dunk your kids in, well then you may be running a risk.

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: Holzer] #3271025 03/25/09 03:04 PM
T
Texangator Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I lived in FL for some years and I never went swimming in any local lake unless it was heavily use by other swimmers/ beach area. People get attacked there often, specialy kids, golfers, and pets(dogs in particular). I don't know about the TX gator population but if your kids are in the water I would always stay shallow and keep an eye out just to be on the safer side. Just my opinion.

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: Texangator] #3271222 03/25/09 03:43 PM
C
cajundave Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I grew up swimming in the bayous and wading/fishing in the swamps. I was much more scared of Cotton mouths, because they are the only snake that can really bite under water. Alligators are docile by nature, unlike their cousin the crocodile.

Heck, once a buddy and I stepped on what we thought was a log in the murky water in order to get a better view while frogging in the swamp. The water was a black a night. Well the log quickly moved from under our feet and we both fell. Shortly after about a 10 foot gator came to the surface about 15 yards from us. We name him "Loggy."

Use common sense. If you have small kids, then be more cautious. Don't swim in areas where there are baby gators around or if you see one sitting on a nest. They are really not that aggressive, unless being protective, but are intimidating if you have ever seen them eat anything.

Don't throw bloddy fish out in the area where you swim or swim where people have been feeding them.

That's why they call it fishing and not catching!

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: cajundave] #3271281 03/25/09 03:55 PM
D
DeJo1022 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I have swam in rayburn and toledo and never had ANY problems with anykinds of animals..i have also swam and wakeboarded about 100 ft away from where i caught 2 sharks and saw numerous alligators in the same day..like an earlier post i do not think these animals attack for food purposes..i think it is out of defense..so if your in the middle of a cove or the lake i see no problem because their nest is on land..

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: DeJo1022] #3271339 03/25/09 04:06 PM
B
bigtexnick Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
jeep, i think the chances of an attack of extremely slim.

but you never know. if i were you, i'd stick to designated swimming areas and get out of those swamps. it's scary to hear of all these alligators in our local lakes.

--Nick smirk
Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: bigtexnick] #3271493 03/25/09 04:32 PM
S
SoonerDG Online Sick
Extreme Angler
Online Sick
Extreme Angler
S
According to Florida Fish and Wildlife there are an average of 7 attacks per year and they are rarely fatal. Only 17 deaths recorded since 1948. Since they have many times more gators than Texas and so few attacks I beleive that the chances of getting attacked by a gator on Lewisville would be extremely remote.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: SoonerDG] #3271545 03/25/09 04:43 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Chances are,....extremely slim,...attacks per year,...extremely remote,....are you guys nuts. Take your kids to a pool.

Re: Myself and kids swimming in local lakes with alligators???? [Re: JIM SR.] #3271955 03/25/09 06:09 PM
H
HawgGirl Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I am heading to Rayburn next week with my son but I can tell you we do not plan on getting in the water lol no thanks the chance is not worth the swim

My 1st state tourney (14 yrs old)
"Every woman should own a fishingpole, a cordless drill and a blacklace bra"
Sponsored by:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide