Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Reel Recovery #2677199 09/26/08 03:02 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
Are any TFF members familiar with Reel Recovery program to assist fly fishermen that have cancer or recovering from cancer?
http://www.reelrecovery.org/programs.htm

I recall that Big Dale and others have donated time and fly tackle/materials to Casting for Recovery for womens breast cancer victims, but this is a program from men.

A retreat is being held October 14 - 16, 2008 at Joshua Creek Ranch in Boerne, TX, and have requested volunteers to assist cancer patients in fly fishing and related activities.
There is no cost to fly fishing cancer patients or recovering patients.

As a recent cancer survivor myself, it sounds like a worthwhile program, and would like to hear opinions from any participants in the program.

Any of you guys from the Boerne area familiar with this program?
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Re: Reel Recovery [Re: george1] #2677219 09/26/08 03:09 PM
K
kelkay Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
It looks like a fine place to give, but do you send them flies like you do Casting For Recovery? They say fly fishing equipment, but I don't see flies listed.

The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." Thomas Jefferson

You Dont Love Something You Want to Fundamentally Transform Mark Levin

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: kelkay] #2677537 09/26/08 05:13 PM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I hadn't heard of that one, looks to be a worthy cause, although as Kelly said, not quite sure how to help.

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: Bass Bug] #2677550 09/26/08 05:20 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I just sent them an email asking what all kinds of help they can use.

There is also a page to print out a form to send in cash donos.
http://www.reelrecovery.org/donate.htm

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Reel Recovery [Re: rrhyne56] #2677622 09/26/08 05:52 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Just got this reply
Quote:
Hi Robin,

Thanks for your interest in helping Reel Recovery in Texas. This will be our first ever Texas retreat and we're very excited about it. We can always use flies; we use at least several hundred at every retreat, so whatever patterns will be good for Joshua Creek in mid-October would be a great to put in the participants' fly boxes. We can also use a few hundred of any pattern to put in the gift boxes we give to participants at the end of the retreat.

Like Casting for Recovery, we use volunteers to act as Fishing Buddies - to give one-on-one assistance to the men on the creek. We fish both on October 15th and 16th. I've attached a volunteer form if this is something you'd be interested in, along with a letter with details. We do ask that Buddies be at least competent fly-fishers, but they need not be professional guides. I know we have quite few lined up, but I think we could use several more. I have cc'd our local Coordinator, Warren Wolf, who is handling our Buddy recruiting, and would have a current tally of where we stand.

Beyond the retreat, we accept donations of gear - particularly new/custom stuff that we might be able to auction. We're pretty set for gear for the participants.

Lastly, money is always needed, so if your group has a budget for charitable giving, or contacts for funding in the community, we'd very much appreciate that kind of help. Our Texas Retreat is partially funded by a grant form the John Wayne Cancer Foundation, but we're a still looking for a couple thousand dollars locally, so any dent in that would be great.

I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to contact me or Warren for more information, and thanks again for your interest in helping us out.

All the best,

Stan

Stan Golub
Executive Director
Reel Recovery
800-699-4490
www.reelrecovery.org

in memory of Big Dale
Re: Reel Recovery [Re: rrhyne56] #2677632 09/26/08 05:56 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

in memory of Big Dale
Re: Reel Recovery [Re: rrhyne56] #2677707 09/26/08 06:23 PM
K
kelkay Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Well what kind of fish does Joshua Creek have?

The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." Thomas Jefferson

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: rrhyne56] #2677724 09/26/08 06:29 PM
Bass Bug Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
let me be selfish here for a moment, cancer has been one of if not the most dificult thing i've ever had to deal with, i wish i could have gone to something like this, i fished 3 weeks before i went in for surgery in spring '07, and didn't fish again untill the fall of the same year, at what point i become "recovered", is a mystery to me as i still have to have ct scans & tests every 3 months which makes it kinda hard to put in the back of my mind. even if all is well, cancer has taken many hours & days from me that are forever lost.i wasn't even supposed to "get" cancer yet, i'm not even 50, i would like to help if its something i can do close to home, i can send some flies, if anyone ever needs any help in east texas, i'll do what i can, but all these programs are for a very limited number of participants, and all are very noble efforts, i urge everyone to do what you feel is right to help beat this dreadful disease. geoge, i hope you are doing well.

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: Bass Bug] #2677790 09/26/08 06:59 PM
K
kelkay Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Well Mike, however you were cured, we are all thankful, and better for knowing you. I know what you mean when you say you were too young to get this. Cancer has no age boundaries really. It has taken people from me that I dearly loved. I too had a horrible experience with my health...but at age 37. As you know, but most here do not...I had arrythmias that were so severe that I had to have a couple of procedures to try and save my life. Luckily the last one kept me alive...for how long I do not know. These kinds of things will change your life, that is for sure. It makes you more empathetic towards others with debilitating illness that is similar. That is why even though I have not had cancer, I would like to help those who have had a traumatic health experience, that was life threatening...or still is. I had open heart surgery at age 38, which is quite rare I guess. I think fishing is a great way to keep it together, and find some peace. It has been something to look forward to for me. I know that others would feel the same, even if they aren't cured, they can get away from it all...even if just for a little while.

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: rrhyne56] #2677898 09/26/08 08:04 PM
G
george1 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
I discovered this organization a few weeks ago, and as a cancer survivor wanted to go public with it, so no better place than TFF.

Our ladies are much more adept at sharing feelings about cancer than men - real men dont talk about prostate, testicular and bladder cancer - right?

As Mike says, cancer is devastating and the patients deserve support, prayer, and very best care - male or female.

I decided to go public with my story and this forum provides me with the opportunity.

I have been looking for a cancer group to support and this one seems to fit my needs.
When first diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer I sold my boat and thought my fishin days were over.
I sought a second opinion and found the best oncologist/bladder cancer doc at UT Southwestern Medical Center that saved my life.
Tough two years of surgery and chemo.

First chemo failed and I was devastated but my doc changed the cocktail with a new medication, and it worked.
Cancer free for 30 months plus .. !!!

Want to know what took me through the process?
Between weekly chemo, I would have one day that I could function with fly rod in hand, prowling the banks of our ponds watching the sun come up one day at a time.
If this organization deserves our support, I will promote it at all levels of the fly fishing community.
I have been looking for a way to support mens cancer research and therapy group.

George

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: george1] #2678183 09/26/08 10:12 PM
T
Trout Bum Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Guys, this is an awesome program, and will be an awesome event. Warren came to the FWFF'ers meeting last month, and I was moved at his story. Will be a great time for all who participate. It also sounds like Joshua Creek, will be a great creek to fish, and they will supply all of the gear, and good gear, for anyone who volunteers as a guide, or who goes for the fellowship. If you want to help, do so, by donating flies, giving a donation, or volunteer for the week of your life. If I can, I will go, but going to the Conclave, and Octoberfisch, may keep me from going. We'll see. later, russell

[Linked Image]

Fly Fishing Guide

Vice President / Conservation Texas Council of Fly Fishers International

http://texascounciliffi.com/

Join the FFI today!!
https://flyfishersinternational.org/

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: Trout Bum] #2678715 09/27/08 08:01 AM
G
george1 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
Thanks Dale, your endorsement of the organization was what I was looking for....keep us up-dated.
George

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: george1] #2679050 09/27/08 12:26 PM
H
Honorbrite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Good morning, glad to see your forum members interest in Reel Recovery and the upcoming fly-fishing retreat for men coping with cancer to be held at Joshua Creek Ranch, Oct. 14-16. I'm Warren Wolf, a volunteer working on the October retreat. My email address is warren@fwculture.com and my toll free phone number is 800-542-2246.
I'll try to address some of the RR related questions that have been posted here.
Reel Recovery is a nationwide program that supports men dealing with any kind of life-threatening cancer with regional fly-fishing retreats. As a past RR participant (Frying Pan River) I experienced first hand the therapeutic benefits of this outstanding program. RR is holding their first retreat in our Great State in October and next year (hopefully) we will be able to offer RR retreats in North, Central and the Coastal region with the help and support of you and members of the Texas fly-fishing community.
How can you help?
Short-term:
We've received several dozen flies that have been donated by various clubs and individuals but we still need more.
We still need additional funding to cover the cost of the October retreat. All donations are tax deductable and 100% of the proceeds will be used to support the retreat.
We appear to be adequately staffed with volunteers for this retreat but we need more (men & women) to apply as alternates in the event a volunteer cancels.
Do you know someone that would benefit by participating in the October retreat? NO FISHING experience is necessary. Please encourage a potential participant to contact Stan Golub 800-699-4490 with Reel Recovery asap. Last I checked there's still room for one or two more men to attend the retreat at Joshua Creek Ranch.
Long-term:
Texas is big, I mean really BIG and there are many men that will benefit from the Reel Recovery program but we can't do anything without the help of volunteers. Get involved, help us bring Reel Recovery to your region. There is no greater gift you can give than the gift of yourself.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Warren

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: Honorbrite] #2679061 09/27/08 12:28 PM
K
kelkay Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
What kind of fish are at Joshua Creek Ranch? (deciding for fly pattern choices)

Re: Reel Recovery [Re: kelkay] #2679080 09/27/08 12:40 PM
H
Honorbrite Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
In October the men will be casting to Bluegill, Small and Largemouth bass. Poppers and foam spiders should work well but maybe you have a secret weapon?
Correction regarding a previous post about tackle. Reel Recovery will provide participants with everything they need. Volunteers may have an opportunity to fish JCR water after the retreat ends on Thursday afternoon and should bring their own tackle/equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide