Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Ghost4BH] #2541871 08/12/08 09:06 AM
W
Willie G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
I have a new triton TS17 and upgraded from a 46# to a 71# foot control,this was a mistake,too much power and would have preferred a hand control.I am going to try to trade it

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Dave Marshall] #2541904 08/12/08 09:23 AM
Bob Smith Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have been bass fishing for most of my 55 years (started with my dad on Sam Rayburn two weeks after it opened). I have used foot control T-motors up till about 3 years ago. There are definitely pros and cons to both. Keep in mind this subject is about as personal as "line preference", and everyone has their own opinion.

Foot control:
Pros: When fishing spinner baits or close in target related presentations, the lower profile of the to motor and the "both hands free" element are extremely hard to beat. The same can be said for flipping and pitching boat docks or other "up close and personal" objects.
Cons: Being on a foot control all day long will wear you out, especially when the wind's blowing and the water is rough. This has been tempered by the recessed trays, but it is still pretty hard on the calves and lower legs. Plus you have that big old foot control on your deck or in a tray

Hand Control:
Pros: You can fish in some pretty tough wind and waves and still stand flat footed. With the constant feature on the big foot buttons, you can set your speed and stay in one place without a whole lot of effort, or point the boat in a direction and ease along without constantly adjusting the foot control.The Pro-Kontrol handle should be a part of the original package, greatest thing since Post Toasties! It gives you greater control (360 degree) without any effort. plus you have more room on the front deck.

Cons: When fishing up close and personal, or target casting, you have to stop your retrieve or hold a cast while you adjust the t-motor by hand.

I prefer the hand control overall. You adjust to the close quarters presentations easy enough. The stability that the hand control provides your is a plus (especially for older guys like me).
cheers

Porko

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Bob Smith] #2541990 08/12/08 09:58 AM
Baylor_Guy� Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
foot- need my hands to fish

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Willie G] #2542062 08/12/08 10:24 AM
C
ChampionDon (SkeeterDon) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Willie G
I have a new triton TS17 and upgraded from a 46# to a 71# foot control,this was a mistake,too much power and would have preferred a hand control.I am going to try to trade it

In my opinion, you can never have enough power for your TM. The more the merrier. I am sure your switch is a 1,2,3, etc instead of a riostate (msp) so that you can adjust it to more of a precise speed.

Also, I found this out with Motorguide when I first started fishing that they had two kinds of foot control: 1. a Rack-n-pinion and 2: a cable pull-pull or push pull. The second is a better foot control than the first. The are typically your pro models. It makes a big difference. I also know that on the higher end models, they have a delay featured if you happed to have it on high or bypass 24, so that when you step on the foot and you go left or right, it will not jerk around or throw you out of the boat.

I have used the hand control and prefer my hands on the rod than the TM.

2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Lake Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2
Central Texas Realtor, Helping People Buy/Sell Their Home, Give Me A Call.
2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS
www.powertackle.com
www.swaggertackle.com
www.hogfarmberbaits.com
www.honestac.com
www.whortonins.com
Donnie C. O'Neal - 512-431-5977

Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Dave Marshall] #2542298 08/12/08 11:47 AM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: DMFORJC
At this time I have a foot control trolling motor. However I am not as stable on my legs as I used to be expecially when I am on the T/M with one leg. What are some of the pros and cons to hand control? I have heard they are safer, are they?

I've been tempted for years to switch to a hand operated and I'm glad I didn't. Last Spring our club was fishing a draw tournament and the guy I drew had just got a new (to him) boat, with a hand control TM. He asked me if I would take the front end, which I gladly did, but the extension handle for the TM was a bit too short to my liking. I was constantly having to bend over to get the handle and it was real windy that day. I would have much preferred to just wrap a leg around the butt seat and use a foot operated TM. That cured my desire for a hand op, plus the on off switches on both sides of the boat are necessary.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: KingwoodCat] #2542578 08/12/08 01:15 PM
L
LlindeX Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Hand Control wins the battle with me!! I've tried both, but where I usually fish, the wind is always blowing. I have found that fighting the waves on one leg made for a long day, and they kept getting longer as I got older. I then tried the recessed tray, first thing I did was get excited after a hook-up and step into the tray twisting an ankle really bad. A couple of days later, I stepped into it again and fell over the side outa the boat. Since I was fishing alone, it took awhile for me to get back in and I lost a really good rod & reel. Thus, my wife bought me a hand control for my birthday last fall. Been using it all summer and it is a pleasure to use. Wouldn't trade it for two of the foor control jobs!!

Hope this helps with your decision, & Good Fishin',
LlindeX

www.racknrod.com
For Portraits of Your fish & game animals
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: LlindeX] #2543249 08/12/08 04:40 PM
G
Gourdbuster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
I've used both Motorguide foot control and minn kota hand control and always ended up not paying attention with the foot control or hitting it too hard left or right and constantly having to readjust my position, additionally I found it more difficult to focus on my casts cause I was constantly aware of my TM foot and keeping it steady. I'm sure alot of guys got alot of laughs watching me out there doing circles with that thing.

Now I use hand, with a bigfoot in the floor I can usually just figure out the wind and set it to counteract the drifting of the boat, then I can leave it (it stays in the direction I point it) and just hit the bigfoot whenever I need it.

I've never used Minn Kota foot control so it might be better for me hand is the way to go.

“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
We're all part of the same compost heap.
We're the all singing, all dancing [censored] of the world.”

-Chuck Palahniuk

Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Gourdbuster] #2543311 08/12/08 05:00 PM
N
Nickels Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I have the minn kota terrova, and it is an awesome foot control unit. I can stick it on constant facing a direction and the trolling motor wont move, or i can stick it on auto pilot and it will go to the direction i pointed it at. It's also a nice foot pedal, because it's low profile and has two ways to steer it, typical foot, or a left and right at the bottom.

Last edited by Skeeter_Eater; 08/12/08 05:02 PM.
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Nickels] #2543340 08/12/08 05:08 PM
B
bassman1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I have used a hand control for the last 15 yrs. and love it. I use my knee to bump it back and forth.

Roll Tide!
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: bassman1] #2543385 08/12/08 05:21 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
And there you have your answer. After 3 pages of comments, no clear cut winner. laugh I've used both over the years but prefer the foot control just because of the lower profile (no handle sticking up in the way) which makes roll casting a spinnerbait and flipping much easier for me. I also like having both of my hands devoted to casting, reeling, etc and not having to reach down with one hand to adjust boat direction. Seems that's always when you get the bite (when you're not prepared). However, I've had the steering cable on a foot control break twice on me over the years, and of course, it's always during a tourney. Puts an end to the day pretty quick. So they both have their pros and cons to me.

Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: scott01] #2544230 08/12/08 09:32 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Use hand control for my bay boat and a foot control for my bass boat.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Rayzor] #2544270 08/12/08 09:44 PM
F
Fishspanker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Use hand control for my bay boat and a foot control for my bass boat.
I agree with that. Had a hand on my bay boat. It thought it was the absolute scourge of the earth for bass fishing.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Fishspanker] #2544305 08/12/08 09:53 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have used both, foot control hands down, I have missed several fish because of the hand control, fishing open water in the wind the hand is pretty nice I have to admit but check out what most pros use.

[Linked Image]
Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: Happykamper] #2544760 08/12/08 11:32 PM
F
FDR80 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I've had hand control for the last 15yrs. I just bought a MK 101 foot and put the recessed tray in. I totally love this set up. Its super easy on the back and I've had no balance problems. I bought the 52" shaft and have had no issues in wind and waves. I will NEVER go back to hand control. Just my .02

Re: Foot control vs Hand [Re: scott01] #2548555 08/13/08 11:21 PM
S
snmcc Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I believe if you get an autopilot you will be really happy. Point it in one direction turn on continous and let it go. On long straight banks you really dont need to touch it often. In the wind it will help you hover over a spot pretty good. There is also the copilot. I have and use as a novelity. It is a keyfob with arrows. If you use it with the autopilot you can make minor direction adjustment faily easily and no feet.

Last edited by snmcc; 08/13/08 11:22 PM.

Boatless for minute
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide