Forums59
Topics1,037,866
Posts13,935,802
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: Michial Thompson] #2324759 06/02/08 11:22 AM
T
tiny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Michial Thompson
Originally Posted By: lawmann
Thus far, 6 wardens have quoted me 62.0125. HARASSMENT OF HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, AND FISHERMEN would be the offense. It may not be the spirit of the law, but it is spot on for the letter of the law.

That would be correct *IF* the lines were legal. BUT the wording of that statute states LEGALLY fishing, hunting or trapping. Since this thread refers to OUTDATED, UNTAGGED lines that law does not apply as those are ILLEGAL fishing devices. So obviously you did not ask the correct question of the 6 wardens, or you had an agenda to prove which you've wasted not only your time, but theirs as well.

the dude that started this thread said nothing about outdated or untagged lines .. he was saying that it's legal to run people's lines or is it illegal to do so ... he said he don't think it is or should be. again he didn't say a thing about untagged or outdated lines anywhere in the original post. what he's saying basically is if he sees your jugline sicklin' across the water with a fish pulling it he should be allowed to harvest that fish for ya or see a jug tied to a trotline and it's bobbing around from a fish struggling on the line he should be able to get the fish off and keep it since he can't find it in the regs where it says not to do so. he's trying to apply obscure hunting laws from up north from where he's from to texas fishing laws which don't even really parallel taking fish off people's trotlines. something like finders keepers or some stupid something like that. nothing about untagged or outdated lines ... here's what he said and started this thread with.

Originally Posted By: ishootspoonies
the reason i ask is cause im from the north. im more familar with laws up there, and northern fishing. well, if you put out an ice shanty, you are required to have it tagged the same as a trot line down here. however, if you happen to make it out late and someone is sitting in your shanty, its perfectly legal. you cant do a thing about it other than ask them politly to leave. if you blow a gasket about someone fishing your spot, its harassment. the only thing that would make it illegal is if you have it locked and they cut your lock cause thats vandalism.

same goes with hunting stands on public property. if you leave a tree stand hanging and someone is sitting in it when you get there, tough luck. the best you can legally do is tell them you are taking the stand somewhere else. anything else is hunter harassment.

so... are trot lines any different really?? does it say anywhere its illegal to run someone elses lines?

now, i understand that alot of people will want to reply with the barbaric "i dont care if its legal, i'll shoot someone" bs thats always posted on here. im asking a legality question and wondering if anyone actually knows for sure.

Last edited by tiny; 06/02/08 11:34 AM.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: tiny] #2324812 06/02/08 11:41 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Good deal, getting back to the original post. It would seem to me if a game warden caught you runing a line without your name on the tag he would get suspicious. I add my cell phone # to my address so if he called me and asked I would surely say put the miscreant in the dungeon.

Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: KrappyJig] #2324876 06/02/08 11:58 AM
Kat-man-do Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: Chuck7700] #2324881 06/02/08 12:01 PM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
what tiny said

Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: rickt300] #2324895 06/02/08 12:05 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
The analogy he gave was that anyone can use the ice shack you set up (or is it called a shanty?) - he's wondering if the same applies to fishing devices down here.

Well, let's apply the analogy. Folks out here have boathouses at Tower Bay, somewhat like the ice shantys up north. Those are private property, and though you can fish AROUND them, you may not enter the boathouse without permission to fish.

Someones rod & reel is their private property. Picking up another persons rod & reel & taking the fish off their line is probably not stealing according to law, but it is interfering with their fishing. Same applies to a trotline (assuming the example he gave originally - having to get it off your motor is another story).

So, illegal? Yes, but not for the reason of stealing.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: Michial Thompson] #2326684 06/02/08 08:43 PM
S
Sigmar Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Mike I think people are getting upset because the only way to know if a trotline is illegal is to pull it up to check for a tag. Therefore unless its tangled in your prop or trolling motor don't touch it. And yup these threads on trot lines and jugs is like beating a dead horse. My interest is the different methods of setting them.

Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #2326723 06/02/08 08:55 PM
M
Michial Thompson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Zeek the Greek
The analogy he gave was that anyone can use the ice shack you set up (or is it called a shanty?) - he's wondering if the same applies to fishing devices down here.

Well, let's apply the analogy. Folks out here have boathouses at Tower Bay, somewhat like the ice shantys up north. Those are private property, and though you can fish AROUND them, you may not enter the boathouse without permission to fish.

Someones rod & reel is their private property. Picking up another persons rod & reel & taking the fish off their line is probably not stealing according to law, but it is interfering with their fishing. Same applies to a trotline (assuming the example he gave originally - having to get it off your motor is another story).

So, illegal? Yes, but not for the reason of stealing.

The Shanty/icehouse id actually totally different than the dockhouse example. The Marina's rent/lease the water that they are built on. Up North the ice houses are essentially free floating, and are atually more like a trot or jugline than a dock. They are allowed on any part of any lake that allows ice fishing, they have laws about taging and such. Docks and dock houses are perm. or reasonably perm structures built on leased portions of the lake.

As far as rod/reel I'd venture to say that the courts would consider it abandoned property if you weren't with it, and if it's on public land I'm not sure how it would be dispositioned. I'd venture a wager that no crime would be commited by picking them up and taking fish off of them.

I'll check the next time I am at a sheriff's office, but I'm betting that it comes down to deciding if its abandoned property or not. If your not present, and you leave something on or in public land or water I'm guessing that there is no LEGAL expectation that it would be untouched. As someone used in the example, your car is private property but it is not illegal to touch it in a parking lot.

Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: Sigmar] #2327147 06/02/08 10:47 PM
A
albertking Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Sigmar
My interest is the different methods of setting them.

start a thread on the different methods

regards albertking

catfishing is now an industry ... it's best for the industry to eat baby catfish
Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: albertking] #2327541 06/03/08 12:11 AM
F
fishinnb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
all this talk of guns.

once a jetskier at canyon lake was doing doughnut around us for about 15 min. finally i tied on a spook and let it fly. he got pissed and tried to board my boat.

all i'm sayin in a 7 ft rod across the face will make folks sorry for running your lines and no deadly force.

but really give it a rest people are paid to worry about this stuff, whether it be legal lines or some punk that wants the fish you worked for.

Re: is it really illegal to run someones lines? [Re: albertking] #2327553 06/03/08 12:15 AM
B
BTLowry Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I asked the local game warden this afternoon "Is it illegal to run someone else's trotline?"
Answer "Absolutely"

He could not give me the exact law in the code(off duty at a little league game) and he said that he would have to know it was not yours when he saw you running it to get you on that particular law. He also mentioned that the majority of lines are not marked and you would most likely be receiving a citation if you were removing fish from an illegal device.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide