Forums59
Topics1,041,341
Posts13,998,442
Members144,253
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Michial Thompson] #1989257 02/20/08 02:15 AM
M
Michial Thompson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
ANYONE;

When the Sharks start moving into the Galveston area in numbers please let me know.

I know they start getting in around late April, Early May, I'd like to make a trip or two before june if possible.

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Michial Thompson] #1989390 02/20/08 03:08 AM
Hail Boy Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler

Find this spot and fishing will be great for some Big Sharks!

Padre has quality sharks not numbers in most cases.

-Z-

Wooo!
Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Hail Boy] #1989729 02/20/08 11:15 AM
L
LooptyLoop Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Bum, Im not trying to hate on you nor am I going to come fish any tourny to prove whats what, but I will disagree with anyone who says that the best way to catch shallow water fish is to be loud, splash around, and stirr up the water.. I mean come on! I garuntee that you dont actually do this and just got caught up in your comments. If you say something that is right, I will agree with you but when you say something like that then I will not.

However, differne strokes for different folks, and if that is how you actually do it then I have stated my opinion about it and will say no more. It doesnt make you a bad person.

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: LooptyLoop] #1989816 02/20/08 11:58 AM
M
Michial Thompson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Gawd, I'd just like to find water that smooth and clean.....

Or is that the bay side of spi?

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Hail Boy] #1989855 02/20/08 12:10 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: South Padre Bum
I have been fishing the LLM for 20+ years.. Doesn't matter if you are loud or not when fishing the bay or flats

-Z-

Sounds like you may be treating us wade fishers like you do the tourists...tell them something you think is false so they will go away or fail. shocked

I may not live on SPI but have wade fished extensively there and all over most of this hemisphere....and flats fishing is all about stealth, stalking. Make noise, muddy up the water, no thanks...give that advice to the tourists, but I just don't buy it.

Regarding sharks, my belief based on a lot of wade fishing experience, is that you better respect them when you are in their world. Bull sharks are one of the most aggressive sharks in the world, and they are very common in 6 foot(and up) sizes everywhere in the Texas surf. It's just common sense, when you are in their environment, you should respect them....and that advice is good for tourists and all.

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Meadowlark] #1989914 02/20/08 12:27 PM
L
LooptyLoop Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Bum, if you dont want to listen to me then listen to lark. When you make the kinda comments you are making it makes it look like you have no idea what you are doing and dont fish very much, which is fine, but just dont go around giving that kind of advice because people will disagree with you and be alot ruder than I have been.

Also, like I mentioned before, and stated by Lark; if you start causing the kinda racket that you are saying helps to catch you fish you can bet that several angry anglers will be waiting for you at the boat ramp.

Also, when you make comments that Padre does not have many sharks it makes me wonder as well. Padre has large numbers of sharks and the gulf offers some of the sharkyest waters in the world. Just watch the discovery channel for this one because it is obvious that you do not spend much time in the water.

To M Thompson, the gulf waters off padre island look like that most of the summer, barring a tropical disturbance. All you have to do is go out. Watch the weather channel and as long as the seas are under 2 feet, you will see it like that picture. I fish offshore a bunch during the summer and I dont even have an offshore rig. I do it in a 20 foot shallow running blue wave, no problem. Just watch those bouy & wheather reports.

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: LooptyLoop] #1989930 02/20/08 12:34 PM
M
Michial Thompson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
loopty and lark;

Re-Read his post, he wasn't talking about wade fishing, he was talking about stiring up sand THE fishing the area from a boat. And it DOES work.

What it does is the noise and vibrations will sound like a fish in distress, then when they get close they find a mess of floating sand and start to look around for scraps of the fish to feed on...

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Michial Thompson] #1989954 02/20/08 12:40 PM
S
striker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
popcorn

www.shadyoaks.org
*Find the Lord before you need Him...*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: LooptyLoop] #1989975 02/20/08 12:46 PM
Hail Boy Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I said it before, I am a drift fisherman, probably 95% of the time. If I have to get outta the boat to catch fish I do it in the way I described, splashing, mud holes, etc.

Secondly, South Padre doesn't have many sharks, they have Big sharks. How would I know? Well like I have said BEFORE on here I tag sharks and have been on three 2 week long excursions that tag sharks, they decided on the upper coast because of quantity.

I guess they choose their annual tagging location poorly after all who would know more about sharks and their patterns, the organizations who tags them or the Discovery Channel.

** Thompson yes that was in June a few years ago.**

Wooo!
Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Hail Boy] #1990087 02/20/08 01:09 PM
L
LooptyLoop Offline
Angler
Angler
L
We were talking about wade fishing and talking about stepping on sting rays. That is shallow water weather or not you fish from a boat or by foot.

Also, you have 2 week excursions, I have had a 25 yr excursion. I have grown up on the beach weather surfing or fishing and I will tell you that padre island, and the gulf in general is teaming with sharks. And yes i will listen to the Discovery channel over some tagging party that no one has ever heard about. Now I will not speak as much about SPI as I do Padre Island because I mainly stay between P Aransas and PINS, and I will tell you right now that this area is loaded with sharks and anyone that says other wise doesnt know. A two week excursion doesnt make you know more about my local waters than I do, and if you think it does than your mistaken.

You see, this is why I cant stand to post sometimes. Because of the ridiculous things I hear. Like I said, If you want to splash around and act like a goof, then just make sure that you are doing it by yourself and away from me. Other than that, I dont want to fish with you, compete with you, or converse with you. There is no point. Again, doesnt make you a bad person. Conversation over!! I will reply no more!!

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: LooptyLoop] #1990203 02/20/08 01:41 PM
Hail Boy Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Well I can still reply..

A. I grew up 50 yards from the beach.

B. http://na.nefsc.noaa.gov/sharks/

C. We tagged 2500 sharks in that 2 weeks, the other boats that put out of S. Texas average 1900. Which is why they concentrate their efforts on the Upper Coast now.

D. Secondly, all you do is look for trouble.. You think your style of fishing is some how correct and other's are WRONG? Last I checked you weren't King of the Bay.

E. You don't read posts and haven't heard a word I said, only what you want to hear. This was about sharks in MY waters, not yours, MINE! SPI! I wasn't saying anything about sharks in any other part of TEXAS other than SPI. We are quality not quantity, as in other places in TX.

I don't have a problem with people fishing other techiques or what not, but I do when they say my way is WRONG and that I don't know what I am talking about.

-Z-

Wooo!
Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Hail Boy] #1990635 02/20/08 03:24 PM
D
doc83 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
preach!

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: doc83] #1992165 02/20/08 09:13 PM
F
Fish in my Pants Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Don't sweet it Bum we know what you mean. Some jokers just want to start trouble and think they know best, while others are clearly wrong in their eyes. Last I checked, you and I have placed pretty high in the Redfish Cup and TIFT tourny's. not to mention being the only boys from Big Tex ranked in the FLW Redfish Series in Florida.

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Hail Boy] #2012395 02/26/08 09:38 PM
don the angler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
SPB,
Do you really want to frighten the tourist? Tell them about driving down Harry Hines Blvd. in Dallas at 2 AM on Friday or Saturday night. I will take a shark anytime! smile
Just trying to lighten up this thread.
Great photo!

Re: Tourists and how I scare them with Shark stories [Re: Bill Fisher] #2033906 03/04/08 02:29 AM
B
big_country1488 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
dadgum, too much hostility

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide