Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15188628 09/11/24 10:40 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished today for the green fish, about 11am me and Mr "B" dialed into the Sandbass in front of the closed down boat ramp. In the picture below (#1 was Sunday), (#2 was Monday), and (#3 was today Wed). So I think the fish are making a round in this area, so you can focus on this area (the green lines). The Sandbass are moving and not hanging out under the boat, if you can find them and stay about 60ft away you will catch more this way. When I would move above them they would move on. Caught allot of real nice ones today on the med sized cordell spoon (added Pic of the size, put smaller hook on it). I took a picture of the fish so you could see the ramp in the background, fish are looking the 24-29ft depths.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/12/24 11:59 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15188976 09/12/24 02:23 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Sandies a no show for me today as well but got a couple more nice LMB on topwater this AM. Had to make what seemed like a million casts for 2 fish but they put up a pretty good struggle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15189101 09/12/24 04:02 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Good show.... I caught three nice bass super shallow yesterday. Some would think it would be crazy to throw a rooster tail for bass, but I had three on one point (2lb, 3lb, and about a 4ish) on a 1/6oz rooster tail in less than 2ft from first light to about 7:30.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15189437 09/12/24 09:06 PM
D
db89 Online Content
Green Horn
Online Content
Green Horn
D
I fished this morning. I found Sandbass closer to Sand Bass Point in about 20 fow. The bite was good early but then just stopped. I went down the bank and saw activity on the graph. I fished several spots but I did not get any bites. There were several other boats in the area of the boat ramp that Mr. P referenced and I talked with one of them - nice guys with good tips, but still no sandbass. So I switched to Crappie for the last 30-40 minutes and then headed home.

For the ones I did find, half were good size. This is where I found them

[Linked Image]

These show the size I was catching

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Grapevine, TX
Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15189464 09/12/24 09:54 PM
J
JakeMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Very nice. I may run out there after work and fish around sand bass point. I'll report back.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15189738 09/13/24 03:54 AM
J
JakeMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Well, I didn't catch any, but the fish were definitely there. Lots of gar rolling on the surface. I mainly fished the area referenced by Prosise and db89. With the thumper turned on in ~20ft of water, I had several large schools of what I believe to be sandies pass under my boat (will post pics later), but nothing would eat. I moved out to ~31 ft of water near a dropoff ledge, and saw some fish on the Garmin, but no more large schools. I tried a 1/4oz Cordell spoon, a 2" long 1/4oz spoon, and a white grubtail on 1/8oz jighead. I had a bite or two and that's it. Water is really calm with a light breeze.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15190607 09/14/24 02:57 AM
J
JakeMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Here are some pictures I took of what I believe to be sandy schools swimming under my boat while the thumper was on. The separation between strong (yellow) returns tells me these are definitely larger than shad. Are these indeed sandies?

Attached Files IMG_3637.jpgIMG_3638.jpgIMG_3639.jpgIMG_3640.jpg
Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15190758 09/14/24 01:43 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
It's hard for me to say that this is Sandbass, and not a school of shad. I have not used the Garmin for sonar. If your sensitivity is too high you will have a hard time distinguishing bait from sandbass. Grab a cup of coffee and sit down and watch as many YouTube videos of your unit, or other brands. You will see similarities between them all, and what to look for. Side imaging is super helpful to cover large areas, but it can be hard to see them when they are stuck to the bottom. I prefer to go directly to the humps, and ledges and work from there. With livescope or the hummingbird 360 I can see all around me. Lately the majority of the fish are in massive schools on the bottom, with small terrorists cells of smaller Sandbass working the mid and upper depths on bait. Here is a video that has some good screen detail, and information. The more you watch the easier it will be identifying the fish. Good luck, and hope this helps

I know there are thousands of humps on GV, and some are decent. With that said, there are areas that tend to be tremendously better all the time. If you go back thru all of the threads for the last 4 years you can collect all of these waypoints, which I tend to find them at more than other areas. In-between these areas it's a little harder pinpointing them. I have been thinking about putting together a list of waypoints to make it easier for people to use. Some people, like myself had a hard time inputting GPS coordinates into my depth finder. Someone would give me a GPS coordinate and when I put it into my depth finder it would show the waypoint up on dry land far away. There are about 3 formats (DMS, DMM, and DD). So I would have to change the format in my depth finder settings, and then input the waypoint. I have found that if your not that good with electronics, Google is your friend.

The screenshot I posted the other day for example.
[Linked Image]

If you type this GPS information into the field for a website in chrome, it will show you the location on a map.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When the page expands into google maps, you will then simply select the share button.
[Linked Image]

This will open up a google maps link, this is what you can save on your phone. You can send yourself an e-mail with these waypoint links to use with google maps. When you get to the lake, turn your location on for your phone. Open the e-mail, and click the link to the waypoint that you saved. You can then take your boat to this location, just safely take your boat to the waypoint on the lake. When you are as close as you can get, save this on your depth finder. I use this method when I am fishing in the canoe, I can goto my favorite humps without a depth finder.

[Linked Image]

The link to the waypoint is >>> https://maps.app.goo.gl/TAvLNz62YEFFV53K9
This is a hump that runs kind of north and south, and has deep water on the east side. It's located east of the island. screenshot below of the location. I am pretty sure it is on the south side of the long ledge/hump by the red circle. This is a really good spot to check when fish are in this area of the lake.
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15190881 09/14/24 05:12 PM
J
JakeMcD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Wow, this is great information, thank you for taking the time to deliver such a detailed response Prosise. I will go ahead and watch the video you showed.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15191506 09/15/24 06:17 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Fished out of Murrell Park on Friday. Caught 2 sandies and 3 largemouth in about 4 hours. Was targeting bass throwing and trolling crankbaits along the drop off from Murrell point to the ice house. Tried plastics in the same spot and got several "bites" but they seemed to be bluegill or even sandbass hitting my worm. That little "tap tap tap" we all know and love, then I would swing and nothing. Tail of the worm would be gone is all.

Got to say hi to Hard Rain as he and his buddy were wade fishing from the bank. They were not having a lot of luck to that point but I am not sure how their day finished out. Nice chatting with you bud!

The bass were about 1.5 lbs and the sandies were nice size. Maybe 12-13 inches. Lost a large bass when it sky rocketed right when it was hooked. Came up vertically right away. Made a beautiful jump. Threw the bait 30 feet. She seemed like she had done that trick before.

All the fish were on cranks. I have really been impressed with the Berkley Money Badger. Just started fishing them this year and its a great bait. Caught a 24 inch LMB on one this spring and have been gaining confidence in it since. That bass was not at the Vine. That would be amazing!

On another note, and I am sure they are not on this site, two bruhs rolled up near me in a white center console boat and for no particular reason at all were making comments about me. Not nice ones. I guess they did not like that I was on the point they wanted to be on. They likely did not realize I could hear every word they were saying. Not nice fellas! I hope you did not have any luck at all.

Anyway was a good morning! Good luck out there! Be safe, be kind, dont litter (saw tons of trash on the banks, ridiculous amounts) and enjoy these pics! They are representative of the fish I caught. If you look really close in the pic of the sandie, way back there the human shaped dot, that is our buddy Hard Rain cheers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15191733 09/15/24 09:25 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
He's back there if you zoom in. I may go Tues and Wed, helping a friend do some chores.

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15192059 09/16/24 10:52 AM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I am feeling just a little bit exposed lol. Friday was not a good day for me I did not land a fish. I had a couple small ones on but they jumped off were not quality fish anyway. My buddy Rick had taken off work he caught a some small fish on Ultralight stuff glad for him since he took a day off. Seems the bite changed when the wind changed from north to south they definitely did not want the big topwater lure. I will keep trying that spot is really where I normally fish for sandies (along with my Asian buddies) in spring or at least one of the the good sandie spots. I have a winter area I fish that usually holds nice fish until right after Christmas. Dan please don’t post me in that spot lol.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15193102 09/17/24 01:30 PM
D
db89 Online Content
Green Horn
Online Content
Green Horn
D
I fished yesterday with my neighbor mainly for crappie but we kept our eye out for sand bass. On the North side we did catch several in 20 fow. They were scattered and almost all were keeper size. Early afternoon, we decided to try the area in front of Oak Grove, Prosise had identified the area by the closed boat ramp and I had some success last week by Sand Bass Point. There were plenty by the boat ramp but absolutely nothing up by Sand Bass Point - at least we could not find any. By the old ramp, they were in 25 fow.

Here is where we found them on the North side of the lake

[Linked Image]

Also caught this old Zebco - never thought I would catch a fishing rod but I know others have ...

[Linked Image]

Grapevine, TX
Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15193285 09/17/24 04:48 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Flat whacked them today, from 830am-11am and left them biting. Got a unicorn bonus as well, probably caught the loneliest fish in Grapevine. I have never heard of anyone catching a hybrid on GV, maybe it got washed out of a lake in the flood earlier this year. Caught them at the same spot I mentioned last week. The GPS coordinates are in the prev update. Catfish were down off the drop in the deeper water along with the hybrid. I never keep fish unless someone is fishing with me and wants meat. All fish were released..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/17/24 11:26 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2024 [Re: prosise] #15193296 09/17/24 05:00 PM
R
RoadRunnerTR21 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Used to catch hydbrids on Grapevine in the mid 80's

[Linked Image] Light Blue 19 CPX
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Previous Thread
Index