Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15149182 08/02/24 06:52 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Also nice natural tiger trout looks to me

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Conejos [Re: split cane rod] #15154317 08/07/24 10:13 PM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by split cane rod
Jeff, stop breaking my heart! What an awesome trip! I wonder how that area would be fishing late August / early September?

JR

It fishes fine, but they do start to get some snow showers around then.

Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15156107 08/09/24 02:12 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
I have gotten snowed on July 4th, and as early as August 20th. But September can be absolutely gorgeous and you can always go down valley to fish Elk Creek, Lower Conejos or even RDLP. Scenery is amazing that time of year

Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15159700 08/13/24 01:25 PM
J
jonbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Jeff, glad you had a great trip. +100 for pictures of Magick!

Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15159718 08/13/24 01:40 PM
J
jonbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Hey Jeff. Could I ask, you if you know, about what are the elevations of the creeks in that area that might contain cutties. I'm going to Durango in early October. I really would like to try a small creek somewhere that might contain cutties. Well, there's a well-known one in the Durango general area that's been specifically cleared out, blocked, and stocked with cutties. It's also fairly easy to get to from the road. The only problem for me is that it sits at 8800 ft. I'm thinking that's quite high for an older dude who's not used to altitude. Might be starting to get sketchy by early October, too, when I plan to go. I'm looking for a little bit lower creek or other stream to fish that's known to contain cutties. And I will travel, a bit. So, hey! If you, (or anyone) happen to know of a stream from say, the Conejos on toward the West that's not quite that elevation but that's known to have cutthroat trout in it, I'd really appreciate a PM. Thanks, and glad you had a great time!

Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15162259 08/15/24 07:12 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
Cutties near Durango in creeks not named Hermosa start at about 9000 feet. If you do hermosa, go to the east fork. You can get some nice cutties in the upper dolores freestone too. As far as on the way to Durango if you are taking CO 160, I can point you a few places. I HATE the Piedra, great hike, fishing was awful. Florida River. Vallecito above the reservoir inside the national forest. Nothing easy access though.

Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15162335 08/15/24 08:02 PM
J
jonbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks, Jeff! Provisionally I'm thinking of East Fork Hermosa. Probably the easiest high country stream to get to, and actually kind of a bucket lister for me. Heck, if I chicken out on it, say if there's snow which I'm not ready to deal with, I figure I might try fishing the Animus in town, or the San Juan in Pagosa Springs which is supposed to be quite fishable. If I decide the high country streams sound like too much I figure I may as well make the parking and approaching to the fishing pretty simple, no? Do you (or anyone) happen to know about fishing in the San Juan upstream of Pagosa Springs? Is there access? fish

Re: Conejos [Re: jonbo] #15162817 08/16/24 03:49 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by jonbo
Thanks, Jeff! Provisionally I'm thinking of East Fork Hermosa. Probably the easiest high country stream to get to, and actually kind of a bucket lister for me. Heck, if I chicken out on it, say if there's snow which I'm not ready to deal with, I figure I might try fishing the Animus in town, or the San Juan in Pagosa Springs which is supposed to be quite fishable. If I decide the high country streams sound like too much I figure I may as well make the parking and approaching to the fishing pretty simple, no? Do you (or anyone) happen to know about fishing in the San Juan upstream of Pagosa Springs? Is there access? fish

Go to the Colorado fishing regulations book, it’s got maps of all the major drainages and it shows a lot of the drainages. There are a lot that are color coded for certain species and gives special regulations for cutthroats. Those spots are worth a shot. I‘ve fished a LOT of water all over the western US, especially in Colorado, and I can just tell you the worse the roads, or the further the hike, the better the fishing is. The majority of the headwaters in the high country have cutthroats. A lot of times you’ll find a mixed bag up until about 10000 feet, and then you find more cutthroats the further up you go. Most of the streams that are pure cutties are highly regulated or hard to get to. Worth mentioning usually these fish are in small waters with tight corners, they will generally take dang near any easy to see dry fly you want to throw, I have always been partial to humpys, stimulators, and small hopper patterns, color is irrelevant. That being said, they are usually very spooky and you have to be good at standing in their blind spots. Even brookies will spook if they see you. You have to fish fast, you aren’t going to get that many chances at any one pocket. It’s not the easiest fishing unless you’re used to it.

Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15163075 08/16/24 02:14 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
East fork of San Juan has some decent public access, about 5 miles above town. Throw streamers on the Animas!!! Regina could shop in Pagosa while you fish the main river thru town for a few browns and stocked rainbows. The amount of water in the creeks and the condition of the roads will have a lot to say about where you fish

Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15163333 08/16/24 05:11 PM
J
jonbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I was thinking the same thing, Jeff. I might just streamer fish in the Animus. Guys, the more I actually think about it, Ima' kinda' a'skeert to go up to the high country. Donno what I'm doing up there. I'm 66 years old and a flatlander. For one thing, I'll be driving my wife's girly 2 wheel drive SUV. She'd be hecka' ticked if I were to bang it up at all. If I do go up high it's going to be to HC. It seems to be set up so you can pretty much drive right to it. The San Juan above Pagosa Springs intrigues me some...

What's kind of sad is my sister and bro-in-law live practically on the Florida (I think that's it over there) directly east of Durango. The only thing that separates them is a fence. Some dude has a ranch. When I brought up the subject once or twice about asking permission to fish, bro-in-law just kind of looked away. That told me it wouldn't be cool.

I was also thinking about purchasing a 2 day pass to fish on SO Ute Rez waters. I was thinking about the Los Pinos (Pine) River a little below US 160, town of San Ignacio(?) That would be quite close. I'd have to find out more. It might be "fished out" down there and not worth troubling with.

I'm being all anal about it because I'll have one day to fish and no time to explore. Probably (at the moment) the San Juan north of PS, or the Animus. I've been to the SJ tailwater now several times, enough to have my own "spots". I'm just determined to fish a free stone stream because I never get to.

Last edited by jonbo; 08/16/24 05:32 PM.
Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15163385 08/16/24 05:46 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I would get the Ute Pass to fish the Animas south of Durango below the Purple Cliffs. You may have to float that stretch to get into the Ute. I did it once with a guide friend many years ago and we were in a raft. That stretch from town south to the cliffs is a solid stretch to fish whether it's streamers or a nymph rig.

Good luck !

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Conejos [Re: Golfer Jeff] #15164119 08/17/24 01:05 PM
J
jonbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks, "4"! I'll look into that. I'm thinking I may want to purchase a 2 day "rez" pass. Now, the Purple Cliffs, does one need to float it because it's not really wadeable water, or is there a lack of shore access? Anyone know? I don't plan on floating, so it may be out for me. If it's just a matter of buying a license from the SO Ute folks, that's completely doable. To tell the truth, it's looking more and more like fishing the Animus in town, as Jeff said, with muddler minnows, sculpzillas, stuff like that. That's cool. Regina's for that. She can wander in Durango with the sis.

edit: Oh, I got it. I looked at the maps a little more. Remembered too, from several years ago. It looks like the Purple Cliffs are the lower section of the "Gold Medal" water, like behind Home Depot and Walmart. Yeah, I'll probably fish there some. About 7 years ago I fished the Animus in late November, had no luck I guess at the Purple Cliffs, but in the middle of town, below the hatchery, I think I got into a large brooder they'd released. In any case I fought it for a couple of minutes. I never saw color. It finally got off. If I "do" the Animus I'll probably fish all up and down from the Gold Medal section up into the middle of town. Have Wifey pick me up and drop me off. I don't have too high expects. The Animus, with the pressure, is known for being iffy. I might consider buying a "rez" pass and going downstream to one of their access points, seeing if I can locate a willing brown. Logistics with family complicate things beyond hanging out in Durango. As I said in another post, a little bit of frustrating thing is the Florida is right across the road from us. I just can't get to it to fish!

Thanks for the help, though, fellers!

Last edited by jonbo; 08/17/24 02:45 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide