Forums59
Topics1,039,816
Posts13,970,716
Members144,220
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! #15055681 04/24/24 01:54 PM
S
stinkbait69 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Lake Monticello is up for sale: $131,100,000/ 5,700± ACRES, 2000 acre lake.
Should the State of Texas step up since they lost out on Fairfield?

Here's the listing: https://hrcranch.com/property/lake-monticello-titus-texas/52628/

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15055684 04/24/24 01:56 PM
A
avid_basser Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
A
Daggumit! There goes another...wait, you can't launch at Monticello right? roflmao

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15055814 04/24/24 04:47 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Texas didn’t miss out on Fairfield. It was purchased by a Dallas Real Estate investment group. One of TPWD’s Commissioners wanted to take Fairfield back under Imminent domain . That brought threats of costly legal action from the new owners.
Governor Abbott tossed that Commissioner after 1.5 years of his 3 year appointment and replaced him with a new Chairman.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15055830 04/24/24 04:55 PM
C
Captain Break-Off Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Not likely that the TP&W will consider a purchase of this property, it will take millions more to develop it into a suitable state park on top of the purchase price, not to mention that they have Bob Sandlin state park just a few miles away to the west and Dangerfield state park a few more miles away to the east. But of coarse, stranger things have happened. This is just my 2 cents and my opinion for whatever that is worth.

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: Captain Break-Off] #15055855 04/24/24 05:55 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Captain Break-Off
Not likely that the TP&W will consider a purchase of this property, it will take millions more to develop it into a suitable state park on top of the purchase price, not to mention that they have Bob Sandlin state park just a few miles away to the west and Dangerfield state park a few more miles away to the east. But of coarse, stranger things have happened. This is just my 2 cents and my opinion for whatever that is worth.

Why does it need to be a state park? Can’t it just have the old co ramp, if you want a state park experience you could just like you said, go down to bob sandlin

Or better yet, just pay to remove the dam, and let the private development of the land occur

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15055889 04/24/24 06:39 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I love all the post I see when this place comes up. Removing the dam, means no more Monticello which is the issue. Despite the gates being open that place still is VERY much its own lake. The last surveys done out there showed it to still have the highest % of Florida strain fish of any lake in the State.

And lastly, and its all I will say for now. The state is absolutely currently engaged in due diligence on the potential purchase of Monticello. They formed a team over a year ago that has a significant focus on trying to find more land for state parks. Between the State's massive budget surplus and some props that were pushed through over the years, TPWD has a pretty nice cash reserve its looking to deploy.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: Chris G] #15055893 04/24/24 06:46 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Chris G
I love all the post I see when this place comes up. Removing the dam, means no more Monticello which is the issue. Despite the gates being open that place still is VERY much its own lake. The last surveys done out there showed it to still have the highest % of Florida strain fish of any lake in the State.

Fouz - I can tell you that you are 100% wrong on Beaver. I know exactly what went down and it was nothing close to him being ousted.

And lastly, and it’s all I will say for now. The state is absolutely currently engaged in due diligence on the potential purchase of Monticello. They formed a team over a year ago that has a significant focus on trying to find more land for state parks. Between the State's massive budget surplus and some props that were pushed through over the years, TPWD has a pretty nice cash reserve it’s looking to deploy.

I’ve never seen the data showing more Florida bass in Monticello than other lakes. It has nice fish in it, but I wouldn’t say it’s a lights out lake that kicks out DD sized fish regularly. What made it nice was the hot water in the winter, that’s obviously gone. What would happen if the dam was removed? The fish would move around more or would it mess with the water level?

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: nfhbass] #15055921 04/24/24 07:18 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by nfhbass
Originally Posted by Chris G

Fouz - I can tell you that you are 100% wrong on Beaver. I know exactly what went down and it was nothing close to him being ousted.

And lastly, and it’s all I will say for now. The state is absolutely currently engaged in due diligence on the potential purchase of Monticello. They formed a team over a year ago that has a significant focus on trying to find more land for state parks. Between the State's massive budget surplus and some props that were pushed through over the years, TPWD has a pretty nice cash reserve it’s looking to deploy.

I’ve never seen the data showing more Florida bass in Monticello than other lakes. It has nice fish in it, but I wouldn’t say it’s a lights out lake that kicks out DD sized fish regularly. What made it nice was the hot water in the winter, that’s obviously gone. What would happen if the dam was removed? The fish would move around more or would it mess with the water level?

Water level is already affected

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15055925 04/24/24 07:27 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
So what’s the big deal with dam removal?

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: nfhbass] #15055966 04/24/24 08:46 PM
C
Captain Break-Off Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C

Why does it need to be a state park? Can’t it just have the old co ramp, if you want a state park experience you could just like you said, go down to bob sandlin

Or better yet, just pay to remove the dam, and let the private development of the land occur

Being a state park would be the only way that it would make any kind of financial sense, the state isn't going to shell out 131 million just to give people a place to fish. As a state park it can generate enough to help support itself at the very least . As a county park, it wouldn't even generate enough revenue to pay the employees that would staff the front gate .

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15056043 04/25/24 12:06 AM
D
DaveS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Couple of folks touring the lake in a runabout this afternoon....

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: DaveS] #15056076 04/25/24 01:24 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by DaveS
Couple of folks touring the lake in a runabout this afternoon....

[Linked Image]

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15056267 04/25/24 02:48 PM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
I'm only $131,099,000 short. yes

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: Captain Break-Off] #15056276 04/25/24 02:54 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N

Being a state park would be the only way that it would make any kind of financial sense, the state isn't going to shell out 131 million just to give people a place to fish. As a state park it can generate enough to help support itself at the very least . As a county park, it wouldn't even generate enough revenue to pay the employees that would staff the front gate .

I don’t understand why the state can’t negotiate a deal with a developer and the owner.

Remove the dam and pay the seller or developer “x” amount of money, I don’t know how much that would cost.

Then whoever wants to own and do whatever they’d like with the land can, subdivide. Build houses. A lot of lake home owners don’t care about fishing or public using the lake, and they may like being able to buy property for cheaper because the lake would be public.

There is no need for another state park. Not even need for a ramp.

Win. Win. Win.

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: nfhbass] #15056628 04/25/24 09:33 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

I don’t understand why the state can’t negotiate a deal with a developer and the owner.

Remove the dam and pay the seller or developer “x” amount of money, I don’t know how much that would cost.

Then whoever wants to own and do whatever they’d like with the land can, subdivide. Build houses. A lot of lake home owners don’t care about fishing or public using the lake, and they may like being able to buy property for cheaper because the lake would be public.

There is no need for another state park. Not even need for a ramp.

Win. Win. Win.

Always a need for a state park. I don't see a need for more housing developments.
Here in Texas, we're losing raw land to development at an alarming rate.

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15056643 04/25/24 09:43 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Ok - there are other options other than a state park. Maybe a WMA, that are could probably use some public hunting opportunities as well

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: nfhbass] #15056666 04/25/24 09:57 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Ok - there are other options other than a state park. Maybe a WMA, that are could probably use some public hunting opportunities as well

Not a bad idea but I think the 6 deer that live there would get smoked pretty quick.

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: Txduckhunter] #15056680 04/25/24 10:02 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Not a bad idea but I think the 6 deer that live there would get smoked pretty quick.

Just for whatever, ducks, maybe a hiking trail, maybe a trail ride an atv, then you can go camp at sandlin if you want

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15056682 04/25/24 10:04 PM
L
LHT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
They should put a powerplant on it and help with the electric grid shortfalls. banana

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: LHT] #15056700 04/25/24 10:17 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by LHT
They should put a powerplant on it and help with the electric grid shortfalls. banana

You don’t need a power plant, just a Tesla smile

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15056804 04/26/24 12:08 AM
D
DJB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I wouldn't buy a lot or build a house on Monticello unless you want to look at transmission lines. That's all that’s left.

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: nfhbass] #15056830 04/26/24 12:30 AM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by LHT

Speaking like a Democrap.

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: Txduckhunter] #15056856 04/26/24 12:39 AM
Nathan Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Perhaps the developers could purchase all the deer located in Texas from the State or TPWD and call them a privately owned resource that is only to be enjoyed by the wealthy. Amazingly, Swans in England are still considered property of the King or Queen….you just can’t have commoners eating or killing what was once considered a rich person meal.
roflmao

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: ezbassin] #15056861 04/26/24 12:41 AM
RCarter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by LHT

roflmao

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER!

GOD is Great...BEER is Good...and PEOPLE are CrAZy
billy currington
Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: Captain Break-Off] #15056879 04/26/24 12:54 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

Buying public land doesn't need to make any sense. It's not to make a profit or even support itself. It's for the use of the people who pay taxes and the general public.

It would be public land being bought because we pay our taxes and we deserve to get a return besides supporting the poor, financing shi**y public schools and building roads.

#MFGA
Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: RCarter] #15057214 04/26/24 02:12 PM
N
nfhbass Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by RCarter
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by LHT

roflmao

roflmao

Im about the furthest thing from a democrat. It was a joke.

I have no idea why people driving teslas think they are making the environment better.

Re: For those that missed out on Lake Fairfield- Now Lake Monticello! [Re: stinkbait69] #15057580 04/26/24 08:35 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
The state should 100 percent buy it. The ROI is happy citizens. I'm of the opinion that the state should set aside funds annually targeted at purchasing property that will allow public access for fishing, hunting, recreation for its citizens. I'm blessed to hunt a great private ranch. There are many who are not and public hunting access should be something they work towards also. The revenue the state collects should be used whenever possible to benefit the citizens of Texas, or reduce taxes.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide