Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend #15053630 04/22/24 12:14 PM
buda13 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
This is going to be different than all of the other BDA posts of 50 fish smash fests… let’s talk about the for real that nobody is posting about…. We had a good couple of days despite the rain and post frontal conditions, but they sure weren’t just jumping in the boat for everyone like you hear people saying.

So many boats it feels like Squaw Creek when fully booked. Counted 15 boats in one small pocket yesterday. Biggest difference is on Squaw everyone is catching.

Spoke to lots of other folks on the lake that had 1 or 2 fish for the entire day, some still on zero. That wasn’t just Sunday either, Wednesday through Friday still lots of folks struggling big time. Some really good fisherman I know didn’t even boat 5 fish yesterday…

Miles and miles of dead water.

Launching solo from the north or south ramps sucks… they lined the area around the ramp with rip rap, courtesy docks are still closed, and the floating dock the south ramp is 100 yards from the actual ramp. Just an FYI.

Saturday we learned that little lake has some teeth in an ENE wind…. GIANT swells rolling down the lake.

Only got cut off once but it was a good one… dude did it right and cut off two of us at the same time. LOL!

Anyone else have any for real observations from the water to share?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053648 04/22/24 12:29 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Biggest problem is the parking lots. They were completely full this Sunday. There is no overflow parking because the lake has reached capacity once the lots are full. It's a smaller lake and it felt worse than fishing the McDonalds on Fork. Already to big of crowds.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053654 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I'd sure like to know how those highschool tournaments that were scheduled for earlier this year were going to happen.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053663 04/22/24 12:40 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Barrett
I just got back. Always wanted to check the box of fishing a new lake when it opened. This is my take. Fishing was good. Caught around 25 from 7-3 oclcok. I was fishing solo and best 5 went 23 pounds with big fish of 5.98. I did not catch any dinks. Average fish was around 2-2.5. No 10
Inchers. Lake was crowded as expected and at one point pretty much a boat every 30-40 yards. It was the most crowded I have ever felt on any body of water even Ivie. Today was post front so I know that it wasn’t a good “fishing day” but with work crazy it was one of my only chances for a bit. Talked to several people that didn’t catch but 2’or 3 all day and as expected lake had a morning bite.

Pattern I got on was actually bed fishing the old
Bank line using livescope. Some fish took me 3 minutes to catch some took 30
Minutes but eventually they all ate at least the ones I was fishing for.

The cons.
The parking is a complete chit show. The 897 ramp or whatever the closest one is to 82 is horrific when bass fishermen cannot follow the rules and park in designated spots. They have 3 rows and perimeter fencing and it’s tight . When people decided to make their own spots around the perimeter they were blocking in boats. Couldn’t back up because you would hit the row behind you. Couldn’t pull forward and make the swing because you would hit the boat/ truck to your left or right. They def need to get a handle on it. I had about an inch to spare on my trailer and an inch to spare from hitting the idiot that blocked me in. I’d bet money if you go several times chances are real strong you will eventually get your trailer hit.

Overalll good experience. Lake looked as expected and fished as expected. The crowds were more than anticipated but that’s what you get for fishing a new lake on a Sunday. Only thing they really screwed up on was the parking imo. I’ll be back but I wouldn’t say anybody here should just be dying to go. It has a squaw creek vibe to me. I went to the first spot that looked good and started swinging- pretty easy fishing. After the morning bite it got slightly more complicated but not rocket science imo.

Thats what I posted on the other thread from my Sunday experience. Talked to a decent amount of people that struggled. Its def getting hammered already. I think I got lucky and happened to pull up to the right spot that morning by pure luck (my wife texted me wanting to know why I was in a field on life 360 and that I was suppose to be fishing LOL) but after that bite died the fish got real color specific quick. I got cut off prob 10 times yesterday but I didn't even care- there were so many people on top of each other it honestly didn't bother me at all. roflmao

Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: Chris B] #15053671 04/22/24 12:46 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Chris B
I'd sure like to know how those highschool tournaments that were scheduled for earlier this year were going to happen.

They've already got the THSBA schedules out for the 2024-25 season and it looks like they took it completely off all the division schedules. I'm assuming they looked at the parking situation and decided against bringing HS fishing to that lake. There is probably more to it than that but it was probably a factor.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: Barrett] #15053675 04/22/24 12:51 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I just got back. Always wanted to check the box of fishing a new lake when it opened. This is my take. Fishing was good. Caught around 25 from 7-3 oclcok. I was fishing solo and best 5 went 23 pounds with big fish of 5.98. I did not catch any dinks. Average fish was around 2-2.5. No 10
Inchers. Lake was crowded as expected and at one point pretty much a boat every 30-40 yards. It was the most crowded I have ever felt on any body of water even Ivie. Today was post front so I know that it wasn’t a good “fishing day” but with work crazy it was one of my only chances for a bit. Talked to several people that didn’t catch but 2’or 3 all day and as expected lake had a morning bite.

The cons.
The parking is a complete chit show. The 897 ramp or whatever the closest one is to 82 is horrific when bass fishermen cannot follow the rules and park in designated spots. They have 3 rows and perimeter fencing and it’s tight . When people decided to make their own spots around the perimeter they were blocking in boats. Couldn’t back up because you would hit the row behind you. Couldn’t pull forward and make the swing because you would hit the boat/ truck to your left or right. They def need to get a handle on it. I had about an inch to spare on my trailer and an inch to spare from hitting the idiot that blocked me in. I’d bet money if you go several times chances are real strong you will eventually get your trailer hit.

Overalll good experience. Lake looked as expected and fished as expected. The crowds were more than anticipated but that’s what you get for fishing a new lake on a Sunday. Only thing they really screwed up on was the parking imo. I’ll be back but I wouldn’t say anybody here should just be dying to go. It has a squaw creek vibe to me. I went to the first spot that looked good and started swinging- pretty easy fishing. After the morning bite it got slightly more complicated but not rocket science imo.

Thats what I posted on the other thread from my Sunday experience. Talked to a decent amount of people that struggled. It’s def getting hammered already. I think I got lucky and happened to pull up to the right spot that morning but after that bite died the fish got real color specific quick. I got cut off prob 10 times yesterday but I didn't even care- there were so many people on top of each other it honestly didn't bother me at all. roflmao

Honest question….why go if you already knew it was a [censored] show?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: SteezMacQueen] #15053680 04/22/24 12:54 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

The cons.

Thats what I posted on the other thread from my Sunday experience. Talked to a decent amount of people that struggled. It’s def getting hammered already. I think I got lucky and happened to pull up to the right spot that morning but after that bite died the fish got real color specific quick. I got cut off prob 10 times yesterday but I didn't even care- there were so many people on top of each other it honestly didn't bother me at all. roflmao

Honest question….why go if you already knew it was a [censored] show?

I had no idea bout the parking all I had read was that the facilities were GREAT. Thats the entire reason I think Mat and I took the time to post a report. So people know. The number of people didn't bother me at all. It was expected. But I fish solo pretty much 90 percent of the time. This is good information for people that do that- thats my honest response.

Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053682 04/22/24 12:54 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by buda13
This is going to be different than all of the other BDA posts of 50 fish smash fests… let’s talk about the for real that nobody is posting about…. We had a good couple of days despite the rain and post frontal conditions, but they sure weren’t just jumping in the boat for everyone like you hear people saying.

So many boats it feels like Squaw Creek when fully booked. Counted 15 boats in one small pocket yesterday. Biggest difference is on Squaw everyone is catching.

Spoke to lots of other folks on the lake that had 1 or 2 fish for the entire day, some still on zero. That wasn’t just Sunday either, Wednesday through Friday still lots of folks struggling big time. Some really good fisherman I know didn’t even boat 5 fish yesterday…

Miles and miles of dead water.

Launching solo from the north or south ramps sucks… they lined the area around the ramp with rip rap, courtesy docks are still closed, and the floating dock the south ramp is 100 yards from the actual ramp. Just an FYI.

Saturday we learned that little lake has some teeth in an ENE wind…. GIANT swells rolling down the lake.

Only got cut off once but it was a good one… dude did it right and cut off two of us at the same time. LOL!

Anyone else have any for real observations from the water to share?

That is the deal with these start up lakes; I fished Caney Lake in Louisiana and Cooper here in Texas when they were started up. My experience with those two lakes is you could have days where you could load the boat but even with the fish a lot easier to catch you'd still goose egg every once in a while. Sometimes they are just not in the mood to bite.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053683 04/22/24 12:57 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
You guys have lakes all over the place and you’re whining about having a new one, that’s not fully stocked to the brim with fish. roflmao Be thankful you don’t live where the lakes are 1-2 hours apart and only have 1 ramp for everyone to share.

Edit: Ok, not whining. I thought you were whining, but you were just giving info to others that might go. cheers

Last edited by grout-scout; 04/22/24 01:00 PM.
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053701 04/22/24 01:18 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
I went yesterday morning. Fished 2 hours and caught one bass, about a pound and a half. Gorgeous fish, but this lake fishes more crowded than Fork in spring. At least there are places to go on Fork to get away from it. Not at Bois D Arc

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053735 04/22/24 01:56 PM
K
KS374 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I must have fished a different boisdarc than you.

We fished yesterday, never had any issue with others fishing around us, it was slow in the morning and we didnt get bit till 2pm but we still ended with over 30 landed. all healthy 2-3lb bass and a handful that were 4+. Yes, that lake got absolutely rough with the gusts mid day but plenty of areas to get out of the wind.

South ramp was completely full but we had no issues launching. Only gripes ive had fishing out there for 3 days, no one apparently knows how to turn their headlights off at the ramp still, and quite a few people that arent paying attention while running around

Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053745 04/22/24 02:05 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
and now y'all know why I won't be goin for another 2 weeks or so and then it will be midweek early.

personally, I am glad they limited the parking the lake can only handle so many boats, after that everyone gets po'd.

Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: hopalong] #15053769 04/22/24 02:32 PM
Barrett Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by hopalong
and now y'all know why I won't be goin for another 2 weeks or so and then it will be midweek early.

personally, I am glad they limited the parking the lake can only handle so many boats, after that everyone gets po'd.

I had a blast fishing a new lake. Its set up like a playground. You can tell they def spent a lot of money and time building this thing. I would probably just try that ramp on the north side or if you park make sure you park in a center row so you dont get blocked in.

Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: Barrett] #15053776 04/22/24 02:43 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by hopalong

I had a blast fishing a new lake. Its set up like a playground. You can tell they def spent a lot of money and time building this thing. I would probably just try that ramp on the north side or if you park make sure you park in a center row so you dont get blocked in.

my advantage is I am only about 10 mins. from the 897 ramp, 5 or so from the north ramp. I can drive over before hooking up to check out the ramps.

Re: Bois D’Arc Observations From the Weekend [Re: buda13] #15053803 04/22/24 03:19 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Got on it yesterday for the first time. Agree with the miles and miles of seemingly dead water. I'm sure some of that has to do with the fact you probably can't even get to the fish in a lot of areas, especially west of the bridge. We boated 30 or so but most came on small stretches where you would get multiple bites. Had a lot of fun flinging a spinnerbait around all day. Haven't done that in a long time. I did have a small Oh S*** moment running up the river following those buoys when I noticed the bushes in the middle of the lane. I had a glare on the water so couldn't really see them until I got on top of them. Was barely on pad so stopped pretty quick. Don't think there was anything that would have done damage. Just a bit of a pucker factor.

Go Tech
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide