Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Homelessness [Re: skeeterokc] #15053896 04/22/24 05:09 PM
Bigbob_FTW Offline
Big Sprocket Bob
Big Sprocket Bob
I think they separate into 3 groups. mentally ill, drug addicted, and those who are truely down on their luck. The first two would be incredibly expensive to help and the a hugely bad success rate. the last group stands the best chance. guidence and work programs, along with help from churches and the governement could be relatively successful.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Homelessness [Re: Quillback] #15053900 04/22/24 05:14 PM
S
sadibo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Spent a week in Denver not too long ago. It was mid Feb and cold as heck. Rode the trolley around town a few days. Every day, a different healthy young man approached me a said, "someone stole my tools, so I can't work. Can you give me something to help me get back on my feet?" It was like a damn script. I then started to notice all the homeless all over town and realized this was a welcoming place. I couldn't imagine why anyone would go to Denver to be homeless with the serious potential to literally freeze to death. But there you have it. It felt bad that by virtue of genuine charitable nature, the citizens of Denver were taken advantage.

Re: Homelessness [Re: sadibo] #15053902 04/22/24 05:23 PM
N
nfhbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by sadibo
Spent a week in Denver not too long ago. It was mid Feb and cold as heck. Rode the trolley around town a few days. Every day, a different healthy young man approached me a said, "someone stole my tools, so I can't work. Can you give me something to help me get back on my feet?" It was like a damn script. I then started to notice all the homeless all over town and realized this was a welcoming place. I couldn't imagine why anyone would go to Denver to be homeless with the serious potential to literally freeze to death. But there you have it. It felt bad that by virtue of genuine charitable nature, the citizens of Denver were taken advantage.

None of them are freezing to death.

Someone stole my tools is code for I need money for my next jab of heroin

Re: Homelessness [Re: skeeterokc] #15053916 04/22/24 05:44 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
When the left/libs decided that "mental institutions" were offensive and shut them all down back in the 90s/2000s, I forget when, it left families to deal with their own mental family members.

Families do the best they can until they can't take it anymore, then they kick the "loved one" out.

Thus, the homeless problems grows.

Thanks leftists, keep contributing to the homeless problem, and continue to "hurt the American citizens."
It's what YOU do!

...!

Re: Homelessness [Re: Razorback] #15053935 04/22/24 06:02 PM
P
pchapin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by Razorback
Go to school
Pay attention in school
Graduate
Learn proper English and how to communicate with people in a respectable manner
Don't use drugs
Don't sell drugs
Don't go to prison
Don't have children until you are able and willing to raise and support them
Get a job
Go to work every day you are supposed to be there
Go to work on time
Show up prepared to work

Do those things and you won't be homeless.

Great things to do to reduce your chances of becoming homeless.
There are millions who have done everything you list that are one incident away from homeless.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact”
P01135809
Re: Homelessness [Re: skeeterokc] #15053936 04/22/24 06:02 PM
D
deerfeeder Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Five pages worth of talk about the homeless. We do not have any concrete answers for any of it except to throw money at the problem, which apparently ain't working too well. And now, to top if off, we are letting in thousands of unknown people, who mostly do not speak the language, mostly have no skills, and we are going to support them also? Gonna be a whole lot more homeless folks who can't pay their fed, state, and local taxes that are going sky high to support these people.

Not a very good plan from where I'm sitting down here.

Non Sibi Sed Patriae -- "Not for self, but for country."

Re: Homelessness [Re: deerfeeder] #15053945 04/22/24 06:09 PM
N
nfhbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
Five pages worth of talk about the homeless. We do not have any concrete answers for any of it except to throw money at the problem, which apparently ain't working too well. And now, to top if off, we are letting in thousands of unknown people, who mostly do not speak the language, mostly have no skills, and we are going to support them also? Gonna be a whole lot more homeless folks who can't pay their fed, state, and local taxes that are going sky high to support these people.

Not a very good plan from where I'm sitting down here.

1. I totally agree that the border should be locked up and anyone seeking asylum or immigration should have to follow the same process that everyone else does.

2. Many people in Texas and throughout the country hire illegals to do all sorts of labor for them. But that is risky. I met a guy not long ago that had been here 12 years illegally, landscaper. Not saying it’s right, but it’s real dumb that the govt has welcomed thousands in AND not allowed them to work legally, tax those wages!. So they sit around on their thumbs in cities milking tax money and working under the table. Everyone knows what idols hands are…

Re: Homelessness [Re: skeeterokc] #15053947 04/22/24 06:10 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
My stepson is homeless, well not anymore, he's in jail, another story.

He got wrapped up into drugs at an early age. His mom tried to get him into counseling and he refused to go. The more she asked / spoke to him on it, the more he was driven away. They moved in with us and I have a no tolerance for that in my home and made it clear from day 1. He was selling all his possessions, stealing my liquor, stealing our loose change, and who knows what else. I finally had enough one day and we went to words.

He made it clear he could do it on his own. So off he went. Well he had a time where he was living w/ a GF. He beat her up, she reported it, then he was alone. So he went to the streets. He lived on the streets for years. Kept saying he was meant to be there. He's free to come and go. It's like camping. All this nonsense that if you read into was a cry for help. We tried just about everything we could. He went to jail a few times, now it's his home with rules, food, and a place to sleep.

Re: Homelessness [Re: RayBob] #15053966 04/22/24 06:27 PM
F
Floon Swenson Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by RayBob
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
[Linked Image]

Must be a profitable intersection. She is someone's gravy maker.

Which is why she carries around a gravy towel.

Re: Homelessness [Re: avid_basser] #15053977 04/22/24 06:37 PM
N
nfhbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted by avid_basser
My stepson is homeless, well not anymore, he's in jail, another story.

He got wrapped up into drugs at an early age. His mom tried to get him into counseling and he refused to go. The more she asked / spoke to him on it, the more he was driven away. They moved in with us and I have a no tolerance for that in my home and made it clear from day 1. He was selling all his possessions, stealing my liquor, stealing our loose change, and who knows what else. I finally had enough one day and we went to words.

He made it clear he could do it on his own. So off he went. Well he had a time where he was living w/ a GF. He beat her up, she reported it, then he was alone. So he went to the streets. He lived on the streets for years. Kept saying he was meant to be there. He's free to come and go. It's like camping. All this nonsense that if you read into was a cry for help. We tried just about everything we could. He went to jail a few times, now it's his home with rules, food, and a place to sleep.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry to hear this avid_basser, I’m sure that isn’t easy to deal with, I hope there are resources in his prison that can take advantage of to get back on track

Re: Homelessness [Re: Floon Swenson] #15054112 04/22/24 08:50 PM
O
OTFF Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Floon Swenson
Originally Posted by RayBob
[Linked Image]

Must be a profitable intersection. She is someone's gravy maker.

Which is why she carries around a gravy towel.

That’s funny. Many of the intersections in Tyler have consistent residents such as above. The other day a guy was standing there holding his little cardboard sign, Tyler Police pulled up in turn lane next to him. They had some exchange, not the money kind, she took his little sign. 😂 Kid you not, he turned around facing the cars and did the exact same thing. Stood there holding his invisible sign. Ha. Ha.

2 Corinthians 4:3-4

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
🙏
Re: Homelessness [Re: skeeterokc] #15054154 04/22/24 09:13 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
I travel.
A lot.
And when I see something interesting, I'll take the picture.
People holding signs can be interesting.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Homelessness [Re: sadibo] #15054600 04/23/24 10:16 AM
W
warcry Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Originally Posted by sadibo

You would be amazed at how many homeless there are in Anchorage, AK.

Re: Homelessness [Re: skeeterokc] #15054643 04/23/24 11:57 AM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
In my experience I have seen a shift in the homeless population. They used to be the older mentally ill types that refused help or were such a holes that everyone had given up on them. Today the homeless tend to be younger and the culture is more centered around drug abuse and dropping out of society due to refusal to follow rules including the unwritten rule of common decency. It is very uncommon here for them to be vets. If one ever tells you they are asking their MOS. They will say huh?

Re: Homelessness [Re: Pat Goff] #15054673 04/23/24 12:40 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
[Linked Image]

I think she was in San Marcos a couple of months ago. It was either her or one that looks like her. Got Nada from me but the guy in front of me gave her something.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide