Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shrimp on juglines [Re: Hailyeah] #15061156 05/01/24 03:57 AM
1 link stringer Offline
Angler
Angler
I have had good luck with 5/0 circle hooks, Eagle claw. If the cats they are a bit smaller, 2 to 3lbs, I'll drop down to a 4/0. never smaller than that. Just my 2 cents

I see said the blind man to the deaf dog
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Shrimp on juglines [Re: Hailyeah] #15061238 05/01/24 12:04 PM
R
RC Bait and Tackle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Jug fishing, also known as “jugging,” is a simple and effective method for catching catfish. Here’s how it works:

Setting Up Jugs: Anglers rig up floating jugs with lines and bait suspended beneath them. These jugs are free-floating, covering a large area of water without requiring constant attention. You can set up a dozen or more jugs and deploy them over a wide area.

Bait and Deployment: Attach hooks and bait to the lines beneath the jugs. As the jugs float downstream, they carry the bait with them. When a fish takes the bait, the jug will dip and bob, signaling a catch. You can then pull in the jug and retrieve the fish.

Refining the Technique: Some anglers set up several jugs with different baits at varying line lengths. When fish start biting, they adjust the other jugs to match the successful bait and line length.

Best Bait: Common bait options include chicken or turkey livers, frozen shrimp, bacon slices, hot dogs, and prepared stinkbaits like dip and punch baits1122.

Regulations: Jug fishing is typically allowed in freshwater and is used to catch nongame fish, channel catfish, blue catfish, and flathead catfish. Be sure to check local regulations before setting up your jugs33.

Remember, jug fishing is a passive method, making it ideal for overnight fishing when catfish are most active due to their keen sense of smell. So grab your jugs, bait, and enjoy a relaxing fishing experience!

Richland Chambers Bait and Tackle
9866 US 287
Corsicana, TX 75109
903-257-8566
rcbtpos@rcbaitandtackle.com
Facebook.com/rcbaitandtackle
Richlandchambersbaitandtackle.com

Re: Shrimp on juglines [Re: RC Bait and Tackle] #15061787 05/01/24 08:07 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by RC Bait and Tackle
Jug fishing, also known as “jugging,” is a simple and effective method for catching catfish. Here’s how it works:

Setting Up Jugs: Anglers rig up floating jugs with lines and bait suspended beneath them. These jugs are free-floating, covering a large area of water without requiring constant attention. You can set up a dozen or more jugs and deploy them over a wide area.

Bait and Deployment: Attach hooks and bait to the lines beneath the jugs. As the jugs float downstream, they carry the bait with them. When a fish takes the bait, the jug will dip and bob, signaling a catch. You can then pull in the jug and retrieve the fish.

Refining the Technique: Some anglers set up several jugs with different baits at varying line lengths. When fish start biting, they adjust the other jugs to match the successful bait and line length.

Best Bait: Common bait options include chicken or turkey livers, frozen shrimp, bacon slices, hot dogs, and prepared stinkbaits like dip and punch baits1122.

Regulations: Jug fishing is typically allowed in freshwater and is used to catch nongame fish, channel catfish, blue catfish, and flathead catfish. Be sure to check local regulations before setting up your jugs33.

Remember, jug fishing is a passive method, making it ideal for overnight fishing when catfish are most active due to their keen sense of smell. So grab your jugs, bait, and enjoy a relaxing fishing experience!

Richland Chambers Bait and Tackle
9866 US 287
Corsicana, TX 75109
903-257-8566
rcbtpos@rcbaitandtackle.com
Facebook.com/rcbaitandtackle
Richlandchambersbaitandtackle.com

AI bot nonsense.

Go unplug yourself you stupid bot.

Re: Shrimp on juglines [Re: Hailyeah] #15066845 05/07/24 09:26 PM
C
CDS Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I have ALWAYS caught more fish on jug lines using offset J hooks rather than circle hooks. I tried every size circle hook over the years on my jugs, and an offset J hook always caught more fish. Circle hooks are designed to slip out of a fish's throat. They slip out of a fish's mouth just as easily. That's what they were designed to do. The thought behind circle hooks was that it was better for an angler to lose a few fish rather than killing under size fish that are throat hooked with a J hook. If the fish's mouth is open at the moment he puts tension on the line, there is a good chance the circle hook will come right out of his mouth. There is only one spot for a circle hook to catch on a fish's mouth, and that is at the corner of the mouth right before it exits. When the fish has swallowed an offset J hook and swims off that J hook starts trying to snag itself immediately in the throat. Even if the offset J hook doesn't catch some flesh in the throat it has a better chance of hooking some flesh in the mouth than a circle hook does before exiting.

I come from the water.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide