Forums59
Topics1,039,588
Posts13,967,080
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6861539 11/19/11 10:17 PM
T
texguppy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
For me, kayak all the way. Tried pontoons and float tubes. I can get anywhere with a homemade kayak dolly so transport is a breeze from truck to the water with a distance in between.

I am comfortable all day, paddle good distances and can go light or with a lot of equipment. Fish deep or shallow.

Learning curve is not hard like some may say.

It all depends what are you looking for and what works for you. YMMV. As for the storage issue, a rigid kayak has a small footprint when hanged in a wall. Still, it may be a concern for you.

Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: r63pappy] #6868015 11/21/11 10:47 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Hi, Pappy:

Call around to fly shops and see if you can rent a tube, then the same for a kayak or, see if someone will let you borrow.
Then judge for yourself on the various points considered above. How many times will you get in/out instead of just standing up, lumbar support sitting flat vs. a recliner, how long it takes to learn to hover or hold position in the deep and how much trouble is it, how steady/stable is the platform, how fast do you need to go, how easy to transport/store for your personal situation, etc.

P.

Originally Posted By: r63pappy
now i'm confused.

Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6876520 11/24/11 02:53 PM
S
ScottEvil Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Don, if you are wanting to save some money i have a classic arrow backpacker inflatable pontoon with fish finder i'll trade you for some of your baitrunner reels. I am asking $100 cash for it but will trade for some things

Bowfishing sucks
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6943549 12/15/11 05:22 AM
F
flyfshrgrl Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Reading the posts, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to having both. Renting a kayak when you're fishing say the saltwater lakes on the coast, an East Texas park, Caddo Lake, e.g., floating a river makes perfect sense, too, and that way you don't have to worry about where or how to store it in your situation. Living near many Central Texas rivers, I am sure there are plenty of places that would rent you one.

Now, if you talk with Kevin Hutchison, he's going to tell you kayaks are a waste of time and one of the biggest myths forced on to fishermen of all time. For Kevin, pontoon boats are the only way to go. I have a tendency to agree with him, because I think the pontoon boats marry the best of float tubes and kayaks in one inflatable, easily storable piece.

This from the owner of a canoe, kayak, paddle boat, float tube, and pontoon boat, so take it as just my 2 cents worth.

Julia Bell/flyfshrgrl
Dallas Fly Fishers President, 2021-present

FishOn! the Fly
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6944316 12/15/11 03:41 PM
H
Hill Hopper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: Bream Bum
Just wondering as I think I prefer a Float Tube.
I live in an apartment and I don't have much money. So I don't have a garage, can't afford storage, decent kayak racks seem exspensive and I don't want to carry a kayak into my upstair apartment every time I use it. I was recently in a kayak for 5+ hours and was uncomfortable the entire time, sometimes in pain.

I can inflate and deflate the float tube. Access most of the areas I want to fish without having to move 1/2 mile in the water.

Just thinking outloud without a whole lot of thought.

What might be some of your reasons?

I am under the same criteria as you. BUT, I decided that a kayak would work best for me. I don't dare take a tube out in saltwater.

I live in an apartment and decided to upgrade to a apartment with a 2 car garage to have room. I know have 3- 12 foot kayaks and still fit my car in there. I decided kayak so I can move miles about the water.

I also own a float tube AND I have a inflatable kayak called the Sevylor Colorado I bought for $500.

Last edited by Hill Hopper; 12/15/11 03:43 PM.

LOL! "I'm one of the few asians with a real fishing license!"

Proud Annual Texas Parks and Wildlife Cardholder.
SUPPORT TEXAS PARKS
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6944421 12/15/11 04:06 PM
G
gotreal formerly known as getreal Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
i float down rivers. a kayak is best. dont have to worry about punctures. get home throw yak in backyard and its ready for next trip. throw it in back of suv and off i go in minutes.

yup

if ye aint been skunked, ye aint been fishing! <<al einstene
IAMCOUNTRY
texas made lures. getcha some

Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6946984 12/16/11 05:06 AM
G
Go Froggin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Enjoyed reading this trail. I have owned and/or fished in everything mentioned thus far. I then found the boats I currently own in Canada. Storage/Stability/Ease of transport/Fishability/etc./etc. in my view these are hands down the over all best choice. Check them out and feel free to contact me for more information and you can take one for FREE any time to test. Merry Christmas! smile

Facebook Pages: Go Froggin and Frog Boat
www.onefrogtwo.com
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Go Froggin] #6950025 12/17/11 05:29 AM
F
flyfshrgrl Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Go Froggin
Enjoyed reading this trail. I have owned and/or fished in everything mentioned thus far. I then found the boats I currently own in Canada. Storage/Stability/Ease of transport/Fishability/etc./etc. in my view these are hands down the over all best choice. Check them out and feel free to contact me for more information and you can take one for FREE any time to test. Merry Christmas! smile

I would be willing to take you up on your offer. I have never seen a Frog Boat before in my life. I really like the pictures with anglers standing to fish/boating, and I like the way they store in your garage. Very interesting boat.

Julia Bell/flyfshrgrl
Dallas Fly Fishers President, 2021-present

FishOn! the Fly
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6951667 12/18/11 12:25 AM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
85# is too heavy for the remote areas or packing/crossing narrow hiking paths between streams. But this one can go where no other boat can: https://www.alpackaraft.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.catalog&CategoryID=53&ProductID=66
Too pricy for me, but the ODC 420 L at 7# is a lot more comfortable and can be found for under $100 during special sales.
Not even inflatable kayaks can go miles in remote riding in comfort, and without repeated inflation/deflation cycles because of their length.... Not for everyone, just the type of areas I enjoy. Lightweights also work in regular places, but they are SLOW to row/paddle....

Porta

Porta

Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #6952489 12/18/11 04:42 AM
G
Go Froggin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I live in Granbury and can be reached via email and/or mobile 574-536-6617. Touch base to set up a time/location and I will bring you a boat to test. Just an FYI the hull wieghs 53lbs. Pontoons are 8lbs each. I am 52 yrs old and have no problem loading/unloading by myself. You can see more photo's and video's on our Facebook site. Simply type Go Froggin' in the search box to find the page. smile

Facebook Pages: Go Froggin and Frog Boat
www.onefrogtwo.com
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #7178177 02/16/12 03:59 AM
J
jtzilla Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I have 5 float tubes, i love them, but most of my buddies have moved on to kayaks, so im looking at the native ultimate kayak. I will let you know which i prefer.

Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #7188315 02/18/12 09:45 PM
B
Bass fro chop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

I don't always catch fish, but when I do, I prefer Dos Hybrids

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/horns999/merainbows2.jpg
Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Don Morey] #7194592 02/20/12 05:14 PM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Great, except where is the motor mount?

Re: Reasons to choose a Float Tube vs a Kayak? [Re: Go Froggin] #15040352 04/08/24 05:04 PM
G
ggoytia Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Reliving an old post.
Saw one of these in the wild of tawakoni
At first I was thinking that must be homemade but it wasn't
It was awesome. The guy took to very small kids with him did a couple donuts.

Curious do you still sell these and what is the weight limit for an adukt.

Best Cajun Line:
"Laissez les bons temps rouler " (Lazay-Lay Bon-Tom Roulay)
Let the good times roll!!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide