Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,368
Posts13,963,445
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
They Made It a Doubleheader -- 120 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 15 Feb. (1 photo) #14990967 02/17/24 01:11 AM
Holding The Line Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler

WHO I FISHED WITH: On Thursday morning, Feb. 15th, I fished a second consecutive day with long-time Lake Belton angler Bill Pasko and his friend, Mike Adams. This was an “away game” for the two fishing buddies, as I guided them once again this morning on Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir.

Both fellows are in their late 70’s, both own their own boats and are solid multi-species anglers, and both are Vietnam-era veterans.

The thing I appreciated most about them was their willingness to listen to the suggestions I made concerning the tactics we employed. I’ve guided for 18 years now, and it is crystal clear that the older and more experienced men are, the less coachable they tend to be. This simply wasn’t the case for Bill and Mike.

Here is how the fishing went…
Here’s an up-to-date calendar so you can check availability: https://holdingthelineguideservice.com/available-dates.php

Next available dates are Feb. 26-29 (AMs)

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: From left: Bill Pasko and Mike Adams with a sampling of the 120 fish they landed this past Thursday morning, Feb. 15th. The pair worked white, 5/8 oz. Bladed Hazy Eye Slab vertically with a variety of tactics to put together an excellent catch for February.

Find the Bladed Hazy Eye Slab here: https://whitebasstools.com/

WHERE WE FISHED: Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir

WHEN WE FISHED: Thursday, 15 Feb. 2023 (AM)

HOW WE FISHED:

After a 59 fish outing on Wednesday morning and very little variance in the water from Wednesday to Thursday, we had a pretty good idea of where the fish were going to be and when they were going to be there.

The morning started out much as Wednesday did with widely scattered groups of perhaps 8-20 fish per school cruising a deep flat feeding on both shad and sunfish, thus drawing the attention of gulls. Feeding loons in the area further drew in more gulls.

The fish were more scattered and less enthusiastic here in the first hour, partially due to thick cloud cover preventing a sudden brightening of the sky.

I had Bill and Mike using the white, 5/8 oz. Bladed Hazy Eye Slab worked with an easing tactic to connect routinely in ~24-26′ aided by Garmin LiveScope.

With 20 fish picked up at this first stop and the action waning, we moved on to an underwater draw in slightly deeper water (~32′). Using the same tactics, with a bit of snap-jigging thrown in when no fish were showing at all in order to draw fish in, Bill and Mike picked up another 18 fish across two locations before that bite waned as the last of the morning’s bird activity was closing out. Now, we had to rely upon sonar alone to find fish.

On Wednesday around this time we headed to the lower third of the lake and zeroed after 35 minutes of looking. Today, we checked out the upper third of the reservoir. I’d found some fish there during a scouting effort on Jan. 27th and Bill was curious what might be going on in that area. We found chalky to turbid water with lots of flotsam from still-rising water after last weekend’s rains. We found little on sonar, dropped lines once without result, and headed back downlake.

We went on to fish three more areas, all adjacent to the river channel but in varying depths of water. Bill and Mike continue to either ease or slow-smoke the white slab at each location. They added 4 fish at our first channel-related stop, 10 fish at the next, and a whopping 68 fish at our final (and shallowest) stop of the morning.

Here is a tutorial on the snap-jigging method we used … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGtrnAQ_T94&t=55s

Here is a tutorial on the slow-smoking tactic we used… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPopSLUYoQ

TALLY: 120 fish caught and released.

OBSERVATIONS: We experienced the first aquatic insect hatch I’ve witnessed thus far in this winter season — a sure sign of a slow warm-up despite ups and downs in the weather.

WEATHER DATA:

Start Time: 7:15A

End Time: 12:00P

Air Temp. @ Trip’s Start: 43F

Elevation: 16.89 feet low, 1 CFS flow

Water Surface Temp: 52.4F on the surface.

Wind Speed & Direction: SW winds varying from 3-9 all day

Sky Condition: Grey cloud cover at near 100% all morning, gradually thickening over that time.

Moon Phase: Waxing crescent moon at 38% illumination.

GT = 75

Wx SNAPSHOT:

[Linked Image]

AREAS FISHED WITH SUCCESS:

100, vic 338, vic 1013, vic 267, vic 315, 074

Bob Maindelle

Full-time, Professional Fishing Guide and Owner of Holding the Line Guide Service

Belton Lake Fishing Guide, Stillhouse Hollow Fishing Guide

254.368.7411 (call or text)

E-mail: Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bobmaindelle

Twitter: www.twitter.com/bobmaindelle

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: They Made It a Doubleheader -- 120 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 15 Feb. (1 photo) [Re: Holding The Line] #14991141 02/17/24 04:27 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
As always. Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: They Made It a Doubleheader -- 120 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 15 Feb. (1 photo) [Re: Holding The Line] #14992357 02/18/24 06:29 PM
shadtank Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Must have been hungry to keep green fish

Re: They Made It a Doubleheader -- 120 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 15 Feb. (1 photo) [Re: shadtank] #14992506 02/18/24 09:22 PM
R
RoadRunnerTR21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by shadtank
Must have been hungry to keep green fish

Bob doesn't keep fish. He is a catch, photograph and release guide.

Last edited by RoadRunnerTR21; 02/18/24 09:23 PM.

[Linked Image] Light Blue 19 CPX
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide