Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,369
Posts13,963,475
Members144,202
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
It Was an Away Game for this Team -- 59 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 14 Feb. #14990189 02/16/24 02:45 AM
Holding The Line Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
WHO I FISHED WITH: On Wednesday morning, Feb. 14th, I fished with long-time Lake Belton angler Bill Pasko and his friend, Mike Adams. This was an “away game” for the two fishing buddies, as I guided them this morning on Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir.

Bill is a detail-oriented fellow who actually dives into the details I include in my fishing reports. He has been helpful to me through the 18 years I’ve run my guide service, and routinely makes constructive posts on the Texas Fishing Forum.

A few of the things we set out to accomplish came about from such details. One of the things Bill most expressed interest in was closely studying well-tuned side-imaging on my Humminbird Apex 16 so as to recognize the difference between bottom-oriented white bass and other species showing on sonar.

Neither of the fellows had a great amount of experience with Garmin LiveScope, so, getting to use that technology in a real-world scenario for 4+ hours was also beneficial.

Here is how the fishing went…
Here’s an up-to-date calendar so you can check availability: https://holdingthelineguideservice.com/available-dates.php

Next available dates are Feb. 26-29 (AMs)

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: From left: Mike Adams and Bill Pasko hoist a nice take of white bass. Four of the 59 fish they landed were white bass exceeding 15 inches, with the largest going 16.50 inches.

[Linked Image]

PHOTO CAPTION: Mike and Bill landed a “bycatch” of largemouth and drum over the course of the morning in addition to the target species of white bass.

Find the Bladed Hazy Eye Slab here: https://whitebasstools.com/

WHERE WE FISHED: Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir

WHEN WE FISHED: Wednesday, 14 Feb. 2023 (AM)

HOW WE FISHED:

You’ve heard the saying “No good deed goes unpunished.”. Well, I experienced a bit of that today. Yesterday I had two excellent, well-travelled anglers aboard specifically in pursuit of a freshwater drum for each man.

We put in over 8.5 hours of effort and did not land a single freshwater drum despite routinely catching these (and quality largemouth) as bycatch all winter on most every trip.

This morning, within the first 40 minutes on the water, three of our first eleven fish were freshwater drum which exceeded 4 pounds!!! Unbelievable!

As we got going this morning, loose bird activity pointed the way to our first area to search for fish. We made multiple short hops in this 1/8th mile diameter area, picking up white bass, drum, and largemouth bass by working white, 5/8 oz. Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs vertically using both an easing tactic and a slow-smoking tactic. While Bill and Mike worked hard at this, I got in an occasional cast horizontally using a jighead and white curltail grub.

The bird action lasted about 90 minutes, after which we were left to search for fish relying solely on sonar.

We fished 6 areas and boated a total of 59 fish, of which four exceeded 15″, with the largest going 16.50 inches.

Here is a tutorial on the snap-jigging method we used … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGtrnAQ_T94&t=55s

Here is a tutorial on the slow-smoking tactic we used… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPopSLUYoQ

TALLY: 59 fish caught and released.

OBSERVATIONS: Thanks to recent rains and a slow, net warming trend over the last three weeks, the surface temperature has returned to just over 50F and the lake has risen to 16.89 feet below full pool. Fish and bait are beginning to move shallower. All of our fish came from between 23 and 34 feet this morning.

WEATHER DATA:

Start Time: 7:30A

End Time: 12:05P

Air Temp. @ Trip’s Start: 43F

Elevation: 16.89 feet low, 1 CFS flow

Water Surface Temp: 50.3F on the surface.

Wind Speed & Direction: SW winds varying from 3-9 all day

Sky Condition: Pale blue, cloudless sky.

Moon Phase: Waxing crescent moon at 27% illumination.

GT = 55

Wx SNAPSHOT:

[Linked Image]

AREAS FISHED WITH SUCCESS:

101 (1 short hop), SH0044C (1 short hop), 268, 94, vic SH0016G, and 104.

Bob Maindelle

Full-time, Professional Fishing Guide and Owner of Holding the Line Guide Service

Belton Lake Fishing Guide, Stillhouse Hollow Fishing Guide

254.368.7411 (call or text)

E-mail: Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bobmaindelle

Twitter: www.twitter.com/bobmaindelle

Last edited by Holding The Line; 02/16/24 12:55 PM.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: It Was and Away Game for this Team -- 59 Fish, Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs, 14 Feb. [Re: Holding The Line] #14990213 02/16/24 03:18 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
As always, solid post and solid fish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide