Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14955227 01/14/24 06:33 PM
split cane rod Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Game wardens are game wardens are game wardens. I’ve rarely been checked in TX, even when I had my boat. On to Colorado this past summer… fishing with my wife’s cousin that lives in Steamboat Springs… A couple of wardens that had already checked me early in the morning stopped me again in the afternoon. I was at least 10 feet below them, and they told me to climb up to where they were just so they could look at my license. I told them that they had looked at it earlier in the day, but they insisted.

Once I had cleared the inspection once again, the female asked if I had kept my limit, knowing full well that I was fishing in a ‘C&R Only’ stream! I have no doubt that they could see my face turning red as I informed her that I was fully aware of the stream regulations. Then they wished me a good evening as they both grinned like opossums walking away.

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14955491 01/14/24 09:38 PM
J
Jiggy wid it Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Agree with the good and bad comment. I was approached by a young game warden years ago on the ramp at Fork as we were coming in. I had failed to put my new fishing license in my wallet and rightly so, he wrote me a ticket. As he was writing the ticket he asked how long we planned to be at Fork. We still had 3 days left on our trip. After I signed he asked for my copy back. He wrote his name, badge number and phone number on the back and asked that any other game warden to give me a pass on another ticket for no license. He was very polite and respectful which I very much appreciated.

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14956294 01/15/24 02:25 AM
C
champRD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Op just going to say this, doesn't matter how hard you worked to get what you have , someone will always be jealous or offended , be it a Leo ( law enforcement officer) or a tff member that's probably had the same thing happen to some degree being in a high end boat. I promise you they have seen enough YouTube videos to know what livescope is. That's just them throwing spite out there. Just calling a spade a spade.

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14957925 01/16/24 06:39 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
It’s the old “good cop/bad cop” routine! You were being interrogated and didn’t even know it! Did you confess? They were good!…..or maybe you just met two humans w/polar opposite personalities?

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14958217 01/16/24 03:51 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Met a good one leaving the Lavonia ramp on Lavon. He was coming in just as I was leaving. I had my Tacoma back then and he had just bought a Tacoma TRD Pro. I got out of my truck and mentioned that I had not pulled the plug. He said not a problem. He just wanted to talk about Tacomas.

I did not fish Buchanan this year. I normally make 2 trips. One of my favorite lakes and brother lives off 29 west of Burnet. Where are people launching with the low water levels?

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: Stump jumper] #14958251 01/16/24 04:12 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Stump jumper
Met a good one leaving the Lavonia ramp on Lavon. He was coming in just as I was leaving. I had my Tacoma back then and he had just bought a Tacoma TRD Pro. I got out of my truck and mentioned that I had not pulled the plug. He said not a problem. He just wanted to talk about Tacomas.

I did not fish Buchanan this year. I normally make 2 trips. One of my favorite lakes and brother lives off 29 west of Burnet. Where are people launching with the low water levels?

Edgewater

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: BrandoA] #14965826 01/23/24 01:52 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by BrandoA

Edgewater

Looking at Google maps I see what looks like 3 ramps there and all out of the water.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: Stump jumper] #14965869 01/23/24 02:41 PM
B
Buchbass2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B

Edgewater

Looking at Google maps I see what looks like 3 ramps there and all out of the water.

Burnet County

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: Stump jumper] #14965874 01/23/24 02:47 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B

Edgewater

at Edgewater you are launch off the bank on granite.

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14965923 01/23/24 03:23 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I think the Warden was curious with honest intentions, and maybe hoping for honest feedback from another fisherman.
Most Wardens are actual participants in hunting and fishing when off duty.

Just one more cast!

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14967018 01/24/24 04:23 PM
L
LastCastPodcast Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
If there's two wardens, one of them has the job of distracting you while the other one looks in your coolers. Sometimes the distracting warden is really good at chatting you up, and sometimes they're not. Normally when a cop is chatting you up they're fishing for a "reasonable suspicion" which they can use to escalate the interaction, but wardens already have extensive search and seizure authority so the distracting warden is there mainly to avoid the embarrassment of having to explain to you that you can't do anything to stop them looking in your cooler.

I've never heard of a warden giving a warning, I don't think that happens. There's so few of them to cover so much ground, a warden would give their mom a ticket if the license was a day expired.

You ever see "Escanaba in da Moonlight" where the old man brags that he got every ticket the game wardens have? I think about that scene often. Getting ticketed by the warden is normal. The system is designed that way.

Last Cast Podcast: Two TPWD-certified elite anglers. One canoe.
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: LastCastPodcast] #14967062 01/24/24 04:54 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by LastCastPodcast
If there's two wardens, one of them has the job of distracting you while the other one looks in your coolers. Sometimes the distracting warden is really good at chatting you up, and sometimes they're not. Normally when a cop is chatting you up they're fishing for a "reasonable suspicion" which they can use to escalate the interaction, but wardens already have extensive search and seizure authority so the distracting warden is there mainly to avoid the embarrassment of having to explain to you that you can't do anything to stop them looking in your cooler.

I've never heard of a warden giving a warning, I don't think that happens. There's so few of them to cover so much ground, a warden would give their mom a ticket if the license was a day expired.

You ever see "Escanaba in da Moonlight" where the old man brags that he got every ticket the game wardens have? I think about that scene often. Getting ticketed by the warden is normal. The system is designed that way.

I've been given a warning on Buch. For not having boat registration card onboard

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: BrandoA] #14970019 01/27/24 01:14 PM
B
Big Lunker Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Buchanan as well as all the highland lakes get a lot of Game Wardens right out of the Academy since their Academy is fairly close in Hamilton.

Been fishing for ages, first and only time I was checked by a GW was Lake Buchanan

Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14971011 01/28/24 02:48 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I got stopped last month and after handing my license, they asked to see everything that I had of course. He then told me license expired 12/1 I told him my fault im out every weekend and theres no excuse. He told me give me a sec, looked on his phone and said you have had one every year since 1991, this is your get out of jail free, handed me his card and said call if you see anything out of the ordinary,

Got stopped 3x one day at Fayette, 2x by same boat. Told them you dont remember me, I was the smart [censored] that told all 3 of yall I dont have my type 4 but am by myself, who the hell is gonna throw ot me!!! They told me they were training and were cool about it. That was over 20 years ago though, attitudes have changed,

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Game Warden on Buchanan [Re: beowulf77] #14975586 02/01/24 09:17 PM
O
Oldbassguy88 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Game wardens are just doing a job, like most of us do. I've been checked on a couple different lakes and each time the warden was professional and fairly friendly. Of course all my stuff was in order, so no tickets but he did talk to me for several minutes about how the fishing was, etc.Some of that conversation was about my boat and if I liked it or not, I didn't ask him why I just figured he might be looking in to buying a boat? who knows

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide