Forums59
Topics1,041,317
Posts13,997,896
Members144,251
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: WLBDallas] #14910500 11/27/23 04:30 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Private equity is a mixed bag, but generally, I think it’s a good business model. They have Limited Partners (“LPs”) who give them significant capital to create/start a fund. In almost all cases, the PE firm puts in 30% of their own cash in the fund, so they are in it to make money.

The firm’s analysts and partners evaluate and buy companies with this fund to create value for their LPs, because there are synergies between these companies, like buying raw materials at a discount, better supply chain management, better sales channels, etc. Most companies sell to PE because they do not have the capital to scale the business further. Others just want to a paycheck and retire, but most PE firms want the owner to stay around and run the business. These funds generally last 4-6 years and all the companies are sold or rolled to a new fund if they are not ready to sell after 5 years. PE firms that don’t return 2.3x to their LPs on a consistent basis, don’t last long. So PE is buying companies and then selling them for a 2.3x return (on average), which is really good.

Is all PE good? No. Are they all bad? No. No PE firm buys a company to lose money and generally the best way to make money is to have engaged customers who buy their products. I can assure you these corporate and PE folks have evaluated the return on sponsorship dollars and if they don’t see a positive ROI, they are going to cut it, just like we’d all do in our personal lives. Also, most PE companies acquire a company and then leverage them at 5-6x EBITDA, which is very normal. As the cost of capital increases (interest rates are 10.7% for most PE portfolio companies), they are going to look to tighten their belts until rates drop.

I’ll give Ben credit. He’s created his own revenue stream on YouTube and with 500k viewer, so he has a revenue stream there. HelloFresh is one of his sponsors on his YouTube channel. Guess who owned HelloFresh and helped them go from 200k subscribers to a company with $6B in revenue? Private Equity….They did this by buying Factor, Green Chef, and other smaller competitors and used the synergies to increase their profitability before they went public.

Not all PE is good and not all PE is bad. I can tell you after having worked with PE folks for several years, they are some of the smartest people on the planet, but MOST have zero experience running a company, but they can usually attract board members or operating partners that have run small to big companies very successfully. Those folks serve as advisors. Some of good, some still want to run the company.

At the end of the day, capitalism is cruel and there are winners and losers. Trying to make a living in a skill/sport that has no real audience is always going to be a challenge. The best professional fisherman is never going to be as wealthy as a professional golfer, basketball or football player. There’s no real revenue from tickets, there is no concession sales, and there are no stadium naming rights. Lastly, making a living is going to be tough when most of the prize money is derived from tournament entry fees.

PE are good at collecting money from investors, they throw in some leverage from their banker buddies. They throw mud against the wall and see if something sticks. They generally don't have the best and brightest. They will grab a vp from some company to get a "name" on their mgmt team. If they blow a deal they just go collect more investor money and do it again. They are house flippers but worse because a house flipper who is successful generally knows alot about houses. They know very little about some of the deals they do..... but they think they do. They love to say they went to Harvard business school but they really just paid 10k for a seminar to put it on their resume. I suspect most get about 2 out of every 10 deals right.

I’ve worked with PE for the last 10 years of my career. I’ve never met one with a “certificate” from Harvard. Most went to an Ivy League school, then a top 10 B-School. I have also never met one that acted like they know how to run a company, but I’ve been lucky enough to work with some of the best. As far as leverage, banks lend money based on risk and it doesn’t matter what relationship they have with banks, you still go through a very thorough underwriting process. It sounds like we have different experiences, but I’d rather work in a PE portfolio company than a Fortune 500 company. If you get a 2.3x return in 5 years, you make a lot of money and there is almost zero red tape.

Let me add on the banking buddies part. When we did our deal a major bank carried half loan. Without going into too much detail they did a mid 8 digit loan based solely on cash flow. No real property, zero, no tangible assets to speak of, nothing but blue sky and cash flow that was roughly 20 percent of the loan amount. And no personal guarantees from the borrowers...... now if it wasn't a buddy deal then who in the hell gets terms like this. PE is the wild wild west and the rules are vastly different for them. The bank ended up eating about 90 percent of the loan when they settled with the company for about 10 cents on the dollar and I'm pretty sure the company used covid money for that. You just can't make this stuff up.......

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: grandbassslayer] #14910522 11/27/23 04:42 PM
rickys Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Yep, I got the vibe something probably fairly recently negatively happened to 6th sense that impacted them, or could've impacted them. (buying a factory deal)

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: rickys] #14910529 11/27/23 04:49 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by rickys
Yep, I got the vibe something probably fairly recently negatively happened to 6th sense that impacted them, or could've impacted them. (buying a factory deal)

They will probably sell to a PE firm before it's over, that doesn't mean you have to like PE firms

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: grandbassslayer] #14910547 11/27/23 05:01 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Not a fan of PE groups
Spent 20 years of my life helping build one of the best companies in an industry just to see it bought out and then ran into the ground. Much like Wawi said. They ruined my resume with how they mismanaged the company

It’s been going on for years in the fishing industry. If you haven’t noticed then you haven’t paid much attention

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: grandbassslayer] #14910572 11/27/23 05:22 PM
S
shanetx Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Jesus I got into bass fishing (so i thought) to get away from electronics and the corporate world i have lived in for 20+ years now.

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: rickys] #14910578 11/27/23 05:25 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C

Yes, Pradco enjoys purchasing factories in Guangzhou.
Lure bodies, blanks, buoyancy, and weight distribution are not difficult to reverse engineer….H20X and some others are particularly good at it (better than XPS’ ability)

I try to stick with this list (Yes Larew was purchased by Pradco in 2019; and RIP to others)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: WAWI] #14910654 11/27/23 06:55 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by WAWI

They will probably sell to a PE firm before it's over, that doesn't mean you have to like PE firms

Pradco is the worst and has been doing it way, way before the china flu. Buy a good competitor out and discontinue every good bait they make. Or keep a line of baits going and completely ruin them.

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: grandbassslayer] #14910669 11/27/23 07:11 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
And now the rest of the podcasts and videos gang are gonna put out content on the same exact subject...its already starting today..... roflmao

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: shanetx] #14910707 11/27/23 07:55 PM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by shanetx
Jesus I got into bass fishing (so i thought) to get away from electronics and the corporate world i have lived in for 20+ years now.

Nothing is stopping you from just going fishing.

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: CCTX] #14910712 11/27/23 07:57 PM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by CCTX

Yes, Pradco enjoys purchasing factories in Guangzhou.
Lure bodies, blanks, buoyancy, and weight distribution are not difficult to reverse engineer….H20X and some others are particularly good at it (better than XPS’ ability)

I try to stick with this list (Yes Larew was purchased by Pradco in 2019; and RIP to others)

[Linked Image]

I ratrely buy any of those baits- it’s a wonder I ever catch a fish…

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: grandbassslayer] #14910802 11/27/23 09:55 PM
78Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I tried to watch it.. Just couldn't get through it. I don't harbor any dislike towards Milliken, but am just not a fan I guess. His YT presence, while pretty much the right way to do it I guess to make money, is just annoying with the Click Bait [censored] and half-truths or selective editing or location shenanigans etc.

I don't pull against him like some, but I don't really pull for him either I guess lol.

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: Mark Perry] #14910926 11/28/23 12:01 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
And now the rest of the podcasts and videos gang are gonna put out content on the same exact subject...its already starting today..... roflmao

Of course! roflmao

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: 78Staff] #14910989 11/28/23 01:19 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by 78Staff
I tried to watch it.. Just couldn't get through it. I don't harbor any dislike towards Milliken, but am just not a fan I guess. His YT presence, while pretty much the right way to do it I guess to make money, is just annoying with the Click Bait [censored] and half-truths or selective editing or location shenanigans etc.

I don't pull against him like some, but I don't really pull for him either I guess lol.

How many minutes did you watch it?

Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: grandbassslayer] #14911008 11/28/23 01:41 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
I don't know where Strike King falls in the big picture but I was throwing a KVD 1.5 square bill and hit the side of the boat with it and it pretty much just vaporized, wasn't near as tough as I recalled them being. I know the packaging gives a country of origin somewhere across the pond in Asia I believe. I've done this with older American made baits and they held up. When I watched this video that moment came back to me. Wondered if the PE thing was the reason this lure gave up so easy.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Miliken video about tournament industry- sponsors, etc [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14911012 11/28/23 01:45 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I don't know where Strike King falls in the big picture but I was throwing a KVD 1.5 square bill and hit the side of the boat with it and it pretty much just vaporized, wasn't near as tough as I recalled them being. I know the packaging gives a country of origin somewhere across the pond in Asia I believe. I've done this with older American made baits and they held up. When I watched this video that moment came back to me. Wondered if the PE thing was the reason this lure gave up so easy.

I’ve had made in Ireland Rapala baits disappear on a fish. Feel the hit, then reel in a bill only. Poor fish has a crank bait stuck in its mouth. The bill just broke right off the front of the lure!!!

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide