Forums59
Topics1,047,416
Posts14,106,141
Members144,388
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14902760 11/19/23 12:01 PM
J
Jonah's View Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
it's just like golf, there is a reason there is a seigniors tour, and its not because the old guys can't play golf...remember tournament bass fishing is not that old - most of us "olds" can remember when it started...these guys who are retiring for whatever reason are the greats of the sport...I can happily say I don't recognize most of the field on the bass tour today, I scan for the names I grew up with and as they disappear from the list so does my interest in the sport...it's all apart of the cycle of life...I don't tourney fish no more, so staying current with electronic technology doesn't interest me, sure my new boat has the latest tech, but I didn't add to it FFS... like a lot of "olds" I prefer to just go fishing and have the surprise of flipping in a hole, or a buzz bait blowup...chasing fish on a computer screen doesn't look like fun to me, but I'm not of that generation... enough said...

Maranatha !
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14902762 11/19/23 12:02 PM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
You young bucks we grow old to understand the wisdom of your elders.

Fishing is hard on the body and the passion it takes to succeed is hard to maintain as an old.

FFS is not going away but it’s not going to keep the body from breaking down.

Getting old is not for P’s.

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: bloo_rainger] #14902765 11/19/23 12:04 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by bloo_rainger

Fishing is hard on the body and the passion it takes to succeed is hard to maintain as an old.

But, if these kids are only making cast when they actually see a fish, they will be holding up longer. Think of how many times we’ve chunked a lure and there were zero fish in the proximity.

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: Cameron] #14902766 11/19/23 12:06 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Cameron
My gosh. You guys need to stop. FFS is here. It’s not going away.

It's in alot of people's head for sure. It's the perfect scapegoatbabd excuse for many.

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: grout-scout] #14902769 11/19/23 12:12 PM
B
bloo_rainger Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted by grout-scout

But, if these kids are only making cast when they actually see a fish, they will be holding up longer. Think of how many times we’ve chunked a lure and there were zero fish in the proximity.

I think you could actually be right about that.

What I see in the future is all of these FFS guys with hunch back and all of them will have bad necks.

roflmao

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: bloo_rainger] #14902928 11/19/23 03:00 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by grout-scout

I think you could actually be right about that.

What I see in the future is all of these FFS guys with hunch back and all of them will have bad necks.

roflmao

roflmao there will be class action lawsuits against all the FFS manufacturers for no “might cause back and neck issues” warning labels.

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14902938 11/19/23 03:14 PM
D
Dan21XRS Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by yamaha runner
... It will eventually become a 20 year old kid circuit...

If it ever becomes an activity ruled by 20 year old kids it's destined to die... 20 somethings don't have the economic power to drive the sport... Yes, it getting younger but they'll still need the olds to participate and finance it... If the olds bale on the activity it'll become the X Games only lower in the pecking order of activities people will view... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14902960 11/19/23 03:23 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Take your yellow spinnerbaits and go home. Time marches on.

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14903010 11/19/23 03:48 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Back problems become more and more of a problem.
Driving a boat n the conditions those guys do, standing up all day to n rough water it’s hard on them.
The new guys that look down at FFS all the time are going to have plenty of upper back and neck problems to as they age.

Retirement best job ever.
Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14903024 11/19/23 04:03 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
limit everyone to 25 hp motors, .... fish

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14903061 11/19/23 04:37 PM
TxBazzn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Can you technically retire from something that’s not really your job? They aren’t really professional fisherman in my book. Hell a guide is closer to a professional fisherman than a guy fishing the Elites.

The guys on the Elites pay to play. They aren’t employed by leagues or receive any compensation from them outside of the tournament competition. Which is no different than what we do for Texas Trails. They are employed as marketing representatives. That’s their real job. The tournament trails are just the trade shows they pay to display and sell their stuff at.
Once they stop working for all their”sponsors” aka employers, then they are retiring. Leaving B.A.S.S. is more akin to a change in marketing strategy & spend.

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: yamaha runner] #14903062 11/19/23 04:39 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
FFS has neutralized all the knowledge that older fishermen took years to develop...hopefully MLF or BASS will figure out a way to keep tournament fishing interesting...possibly banning FFS or no practice time....

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: beartrap] #14903070 11/19/23 04:47 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by beartrap
FFS has neutralized all the knowledge that older fishermen took years to develop...hopefully MLF or BASS will figure out a way to keep tournament fishing interesting...possibly banning FFS or no practice time....

Even guys using FFS still have to know where to look, seasonal patterns, techniques and how to catch them.

FFS is a convenient excuse for some people when they do bad.

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: Mark Perry] #14903105 11/19/23 05:44 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Even guys using FFS still have to know where to look, seasonal patterns, techniques and how to catch them.

had interesting conversation with young guy who just finished 19th out of 250 boats on Hartwell...a lake he never fished before...he used his electronics to follow contour lines in practice,when he found fish,he marked the spot....came back during tourny and fished for them...some bit,some didn't but important thing was he didn't stop if there was no fish and he didn't waste any time fishing where there wasn't any fish...... point I'm trying to make is that knowledge and seasonal patterns didn't play a part in his strategy ....he substituted all that by letting his electronics find the fish...

Re: These guys aren’t just retiring.. [Re: beartrap] #14903108 11/19/23 05:46 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

had interesting conversation with young guy who just finished 19th out of 250 boats on Hartwell...a lake he never fished before...he used his electronics to follow contour lines in practice,when he found fish,he marked the spot....came back during tourny and fished for them...some bit,some didn't but important thing was he didn't stop if there was no fish and he didn't waste any time fishing where there wasn't any fish...... point I'm trying to make is that knowledge and seasonal patterns didn't play a part in his strategy ....he substituted all that by letting his electronics find the fish...

But yet he knew to follow contour lines which in itself is something we have all done for years to locate fish even well before FFS. Kinda proves my point, even with FFS you still have to have a clue on how to find fish.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide