texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
WR6819, 88champion, delaney304, TexasA&M, Southern Sports (The VI)
119384 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 121,828
hopalong 121,182
Bigbob_FTW 99,824
Bob Davis 88,379
John175☮ 86,096
Pilothawk 83,542
Mark Perry 73,327
Derek 🐝 68,418
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,047,215
Posts14,102,699
Members144,384
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14875809 10/23/23 11:34 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Maybe a hook for grabbing square bales by the wire

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150 (needs lots of work, put motor on nephew's boat)
1994 XSC-2200 "Jaguar" AKA Shadow 22 Magnum (restoring w/Mercury 200 XRI)
1994 Pantera II (restoring w/Mercury 200 EFI)
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14876235 10/24/23 04:28 AM
W
wytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Head of an old Pickaroon, used to move logs.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14877323 10/25/23 02:08 PM
C
chris2805 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
New to the forum, but have been kayak fishing Grapevine Lake pretty heavy the last few months. Primarily using the Lakeview non-motorized launch on the southeast side of the lake and pounding the bank. Managed to hook into a nice one on Saturday morning cruising around some rocks in shallow water. Unfortunately, no scale, just lucky to have the Ketch board.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: chris2805] #14877462 10/25/23 04:09 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by chris2805
New to the forum, but have been kayak fishing Grapevine Lake pretty heavy the last few months. Primarily using the Lakeview non-motorized launch on the southeast side of the lake and pounding the bank. Managed to hook into a nice one on Saturday morning cruising around some rocks in shallow water. Unfortunately, no scale, just lucky to have the Ketch board.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is a fat one! Nice fish. I also kayak fish the the Vine a good deal. Never used that ramp, did not even know it was there until I saw this post. I usually launch at Merrell or have been going out of Rockledge park but I have to drag my yak and gear a good 30 yards to the water... but it gives me good access to the damn where I have done pretty well the last time I went.

Weather depending I might get out there Friday and give it a go.

Again props on the big one and thanks for sharing!

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14877665 10/25/23 07:20 PM
C
chris2805 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Rockledge looks like an awesome spot to put in and fish the dam. I haven’t ventured that far yet, I’ve stuck to the rocky banks and boat houses on the south side of the lake. Good luck on Friday, hopefully the weather will hold off long enough to at least get a few hours in on the water! I’m planning on going Saturday morning, weather permitting, then bundling up and hitting it hard next week.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14877845 10/25/23 10:48 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Dude, good job. That's a really good fish.. Night bite was good until the rain came , when the lake settles down give it a try.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14878185 10/26/23 11:50 AM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
We got a doozy of a rain storm last night. If you ever want to get rain data from around your area, you can goto and internet browser and type in (aprs.fi). It will show you a map of the United States, just move around the map to find your location. Zoom in until you can see the area, and all of the small blue circles which are labeled (WX). Some report rain data, some do not. These are individuals which have weather stations that report wx data via the aprs system. I'm a ham radio operator, and this is something in the amateur radio hobby. We have several locations on the upper end of Grapevine lake reporting 4+ inches of rain last night. The creeks around the town look like the Colorado River. Lake should get a good top off this week, and if it fills up will have miles of banks up into bushes that have grown since the lake has gone down. If you like to catch catfish, you should goto trophy club Park and see if you can get a line out. This is when the big cats are caught. Me and Mason caught many nice catfish in the past when we have had rain like this when Denton Creek was rolling. Anyhoo, take care all. I fished Sun, Tues, and Wed for the green fish and it was a little off. Caught some decent fish, and allot of gaspergoo (drum). Me and my fishing Mentor fished yesterday, and tinkered with sandbass some but it was slow. Some bird action at the mouth of Scott's Marina outside the main point in 12-15ft, but they were moving so fast it's not worth it. Just hunker down and pick a spot, I tapped the boat with my foot to simulate the thumper but it was tough to do. The water in Scotts landing yesterday looked like chocolate milk from the previous day. I'm expecting that the upper end will loaded with timber, and debris from Denton Creek flushing out. Tuesday I dragged the giant tire that escaped one of the marinas over and secured it to the bank. We saw a boat from one of the marinas dragging it back to it's home yesterday, so that is something that will not become a hazard. Take care all, and will get out on Sunday to check out the lake.

APRS.FI screenshot
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Escaped Tire captured

[Linked Image]

Video from 2020. Here is one of the most memorable fishing trips me and Mason had fishing the mouth of grapevine lake in Denton Creek. You can see my truck parked in the background. We were tied up to a bush, the lake was about 5 ft over full level at that time.

Last edited by prosise; 10/26/23 12:10 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14881525 10/29/23 11:41 PM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Grapevine Lake is full. I went to Trophy Club park and checked out the boat ramp. Crossed paths with a father/son going out in a John boat, but they didn't have any life jackets. I went home and got them three jackets, so they could go out safely. Denton Creek is not somewhere you need to be on right now, considering the flow moving right now. Then went to Meadomere ramp. The gate is still locked from when the lake was low, I asked Dom (at Meadomere park) to check on it. Lake is warm, and the wind is high. I wasn't mad at them today, and I'm glad I stayed home.

Trophy Club Park ramp
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Meadowmere Ramp

[Linked Image]

Meadowmere Park
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looking out from Meadomere park

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14881858 10/30/23 12:15 PM
gborg Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Good decision on your part , glad to see and hear someone looking out for another !

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14881895 10/30/23 12:57 PM
C
chris2805 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Decided that I was tired of staying cooped up in the house so I would brave the elements and get the kayak out yesterday afternoon. Suited up in enough layers to look like the Michelin Man, got out to the lake, threw on my life jacket, and started paddling. 10 minutes later I was back at the truck, loading up, ready to go home. Needless to say, not the best conditions to be paddling around looking for the green fish, lol. Better safe than sorry!

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14886356 11/03/23 11:53 AM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
I didn't fish Sunday, or Monday due to the cold WX. First time in over a year I didn't get out, but winds were 20+ on Sunday, and 30+ on Monday which made it a no-go. I got out Tuesday for about 5 hours, and had a great day. Lake is full and there is vegetation in the water everywhere. I will add a few pictures I took from the sides of Katy Woods ramp. I still do not know if the gate at Meadomere ramp is open. If anyone drives by that ramp please let me know. I caught some good sandbass over near Rock Ledge park on a 5xd in about 15ft of water bumping the rocks. Good Sandies were just sitting on the drop in ambush mode. I have been catching good bass in the areas I catch gaspergoo (freshwater drum) all summer, so if your fishing and you catch a drum slow down. These areas have been good for me, the drum are there for a reason and they are a great fighter. Anyhoo, still have two more days of work and then I will be back out looking around. After the water rises I like to find the debris piles, and look for lures and other items that are concentrated in the mass of floating debris. I haven't been up the lake yet, but will check on the mid lake area this week. BTW, if anyone needs anchors, or rope let me know. I have a few that need homes and I have high end anchors that I will sell at a very reasonable price.
Lastly, the heavy rains raised the lake about 5ft, and all the cool rock structures are covered up. Hopefully some of you had a chance to get out on the water to see the rock piles. The lake has turned, and with the heavy rains we got a good flush of good water to help with the turning. I launched at Katy Woods and idled around graphing. I saw mega schools of fish (Sandies) and (bait) in 30+ ft down by the area between the dam and silver lake. First time I have seen the fish down that deep without seeing a defined thermocline. The two days of north winds blowing right into this area stacked up bait along the south Banks on the lower end. When I launched at Katy I also graphed bait balls up near the ramp and dock so bait is everywhere. So try and find the mass of bait, and then check the closest goto spots in that area. I saw groups of 3-4 birds erratically working the surface from noon, until the time I left around 4pm (out in the center of the lake). I didn't go out and check on them. Take care all, and be safe.

Prosise

[Linked Image]

Area along the sides of Katy woods ramp
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 11/03/23 11:54 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14888541 11/05/23 07:25 PM
P
POPPA Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by prosise
Need someone with some vintage to tell me what this is. Me and my son walked some banks on the upper end of the lake yesterday. The point south of the beach goes very far out. On a shell bed I found some "lever-ite" in a small location. Lever-ite is something you leaver-ite where you found it. But I found this tool, that looks like it had a wood handle, and something that you might use to grab or pull something. It was next to some horse shoes, and old metal rings possibly for horse tach.

The "thing"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice deer
[Linked Image]

Old concrete bridge in Marshall Branch (just south of the beach)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

maybe part of a hame?

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14890660 11/07/23 03:38 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
I went bank fishing at Murrel park on the 2nd and 3rd trying to get catfish. Was able to net some shad on the high water ramp. Not a lot but enough. Caught 2 dinky channel cats there a gaspergoo on the 2nd. On the 3rd I caught one dinky catfish in that same spot.

Hoping to change my luck on the 4th I went bank fishing over by Scotts landing....one dinky catfish, again.

Could not get any shad at Scotts from the bank but had some chicken breast and a few shad from the day before. The chicken breast seems to get about as much attention as the shad. All of those trips I was using big baits and big hooks, getting a lot of bites but very few hook ups. I could see the bite marks out of my shad from the little bitty catfish hitting them.

Not sure this helps much... other than what NOT to be trying now lol. All three of those days were too windy or I had too short of window to take the kayak and try to get to some better spots.

Anyways, good luck fellas! Tight lines!

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14896395 11/13/23 12:23 AM
P
prosise Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
Need other set of eyes. This was caught on Grapevine and it looks like a hybrid to me. Wasn't me, but a friend took this. Mr R knows hybrid/Sandies/stripers and pinged me for my opinion.

What do you think.

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14896409 11/13/23 12:35 AM
S
Smurfs Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
looks like a hybrid to me. pros will be along shortly.

Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide