Forums59
Topics1,039,593
Posts13,967,208
Members144,208
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14916083 12/03/23 01:39 AM
R
Rayzor Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle
Ramps are both closed. They are side by side so really only one ramp.

Oh, I get it.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14916142 12/03/23 03:01 AM
D
doctorb Offline
Angler
Angler
D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbrDiepcGvM

What could be done at Decker to extend the present ramp.

I don't think that would work for the Decker ramp. The problem with the ramp is that it was built for a constant level lake. When it gets low the further you back down your trailer actually comes up. It needs to be dredged out by the ramp also. It wouldn't be that hard to do.

Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14916220 12/03/23 05:32 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Texas going the way of California, sheesh

Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14916724 12/03/23 08:25 PM
A
Amistad Tackle Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Agree that the angle of the ramp would need to be regraded to a consistent slope before a concrete slab is pushed in. The ramp has always been a POS even when the lake is full.

Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14925844 12/12/23 04:18 PM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I received a response from Reynaldo Hernandez (Austin PARD Phase 1 Project Manager) to my follow up questions on 11/30 after attending the Community Engagement meeting. The current Phase 1 implementation construction budget is $3.7m and they are exploring opportunities for supplemental funding. He provided no plans/consideration for doing any renovations to the current ramp and to quote him, "Currently PARD does not have a timeline or funding in place for implementing a new marina.", so no new ramp will be built any time soon. Despite the public outcry over the ramp closure I have had no indication from any Austin PARD staff that the ramp will be improved to account for the low water conditions the lake has experienced the last 4-5 years in the late summer and fall. What gets me is 3.7 million dollars for park improvements yet not a penny to be spent on making changes to a ramp that was poorly designed from the get-go and now has now been closed for over two months, and will likely be closed regularly again in the future given the water elevation criteria set by Austin PARD. To me this is like paying for interior improvements to your house when your roof is leaking.

If you want to watch a recording of the virtual Community Engagement meeting I attended you can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6MAH-0Z8RA It is about an hour long.

A PDF of the meeting presentation is here: https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/d...1%20Community%20Meeting%202023-11-15.pdf

Mr. Hernandez did confirm "The currently proposed phase 1 improvements will allow for continued use of the existing boat ramp and parking area. The existing boat ramp and parking areas will not be impacted by the proposed phase 1 improvements."

According to Mr. Hernandez Charles Vaclavik (Charles.vaclavik@austintexas.gov) (Austin PARD Operations and Maintenance Manager) is now the main contact for boat ramp comments/complaints. All the email addresses to PARD staff are the same format if you want to email someone higher up. Here is the Austin PARD Organization Chart https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Parks/Homepage/orgchart2023_12.pdf

Kimberly McNeeley is the Director of Austin PARD Kimberly.mcneeley@austintexas.gov

Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 12/12/23 04:21 PM.
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14925861 12/12/23 04:29 PM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
On page 19 of the meeting presentation https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/d...1%20Community%20Meeting%202023-11-15.pdf you can see the plan to eliminate the current parking area and ramp to make it into a "Central Lawn and Plaza" when funding becomes available. On that same slide you will see a new "marina" is planned just to the west of the Lawn and Plaza area but when asked about what kind of parking (i.e., how many parking spaces) would be available, and if the ramp could be used for motorized boats, it seems no one with PARD knows the answer. From drawings I have seen there appears to be only a few spaces.

Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 12/12/23 05:00 PM.
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14926443 12/13/23 01:22 AM
R
Rayzor Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
On page 19 of the meeting presentation https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/d...1%20Community%20Meeting%202023-11-15.pdf you can see the plan to eliminate the current parking area and ramp to make it into a "Central Lawn and Plaza" when funding becomes available. On that same slide you will see a new "marina" is planned just to the west of the Lawn and Plaza area but when asked about what kind of parking (i.e., how many parking spaces) would be available, and if the ramp could be used for motorized boats, it seems no one with PARD knows the answer. From drawings I have seen there appears to be only a few spaces.

"Marina?" What kind of marina would the District of Austin be building?

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14926475 12/13/23 02:34 AM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I have no idea and I don't think they have any idea either.

Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14926818 12/13/23 03:37 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I wrote Ms. Kallivoka and Mr. Hernandez. She responded as follows:

Kallivoka, Liana [PARD]
Sun, Dec 10, 3:08 PM (3 days ago)
to me, Reynaldo

Good afternoon,

I appreciate you reaching out.

Please know that the decision to close the boat ramps was not easy, and we truly regret the disappointment and impact on the park visitors and fishermen. Unfortunately, the City cannot resume pumping water, and without any significant rain events and the persistent drought in Central Texas, the water levels at Decker Lake continue to drop (currently at 553.49'). The Parks and Recreation Department, in coordination with Austin Water and Austin Energy, will continue to monitor the water elevation.

Please visit https://www.austintexas.gov/page/pard-facilities-closures for weekly updates that include the current water elevation levels at Decker Lake, as well as the target levels for the re-opening of the boat ramps.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Liana

Liana Kallivoka, PhD, PE, LEED Fellow

Assistant Director | Austin Parks and Recreation Department

My work hours may look different than yours.

Please do not feel obligated to respond outside your normal work hours.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14926858 12/13/23 04:12 PM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I received a similar response and seems to be an easy out for them. They can't pump so the ramp is closed.

Here is what has really happened. The City has a water right permit to pump water into the lake from the Colorado River for maintaining recreational use but with the ongoing drought LCRA has asked them not to do so. Sure, that makes perfect sense and I agree with it. Trouble is the City has never pumped into the lake in late-summer and early fall just for recreational use. That is the driest time of the year and flows in the Colorado River are almost always lowest then and the lake is also at its lowest level then. They will likely never be able to pump that time of year to maintain the lake level as pumping for recreational use is the lowest priority and therefore the first to be cut off. Municipal (drinking water) and industrial (power production) pumping take precedence. I think any reasonable person would agree with that criteria.

The last time they did pump at that time of year was in 2011 when we were in a serious drought (worst one year drought in Texas history) but I am sure that was for maintaining the water level for power production. It was also one of the hottest summers on record and the power was needed and could be sold for a profit. My understanding is the power plant is now barely being used so no money is being generated from power production. The pumping data is all available from the TCEQ web site here: https://tceq.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=44adc80d90b749cb85cf39e04027dbdc . Just click on the point on the map near the outfall of Decker Lake and all the pumping data is there. I am sure we will be in the same low water situation almost every year at the end of the summer and the ramp will be closed. Based on my experience fishing the lake in late summer and early fall, and the water level criteria the City has now set for closure, the ramp would have been closed every year the last 4 or 5 years. There is no publicly available water elevation data for Decker Lake so there is no way for me to look at that history to see how often the ramp would have been actually closed. I do know for a fact that last year we were still launching at a water elevation much lower than when they closed the ramp this year.

Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 12/13/23 05:00 PM.
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14971159 01/28/24 05:32 PM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
After four months of closure the water came up after 5 inches of rain and the ramp is back open as of Thursday. I fished the lake Friday and they are biting. The fish and habitat are in great condition.

Austin PARD is supposedly working to come up with a solution for keeping the ramp open. We will see what solution they have when the lake drops again this summer.

Thanks to all that signed the petition. As of this morning there were 186 signatures on the petition to deepen the ramp. 200 is the next goal. Good to see anglers come together and advocate for a much-needed change in the access situation at this popular fishery.

Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 01/28/24 05:49 PM.
Re: Petition to deepen Walter Long Boat Ramp [Re: Amistad Tackle] #14971295 01/28/24 07:34 PM
ssmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
what the regular folks dont understand is the lake folks that run them could care less if folks come or not they still get paid .

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide