Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14869376 10/17/23 06:27 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by prosise
Water I fished was 72, but I fished main lake all day.

I fished yesterday from 4am to 2pm yesterday for the green fish. Wind was brutal, and the lake is tore up pretty bad. Everything is stained. Caught good fish battling the rollers, and only saw a few boats out. Did not fish for Sandies, but I did catch one on a craw worm.

Caught two really nice small mouth, one jumped and threw the bait and almost landed in the net.
Ended up with 5 overs, and about a dozen drum. Not one small bass, so that can tell you the big girls are feeding
Also found another rod/reel. About a 700 dollar setup, which will need some parts to work again.

Can
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice looking smallie !

thumb

I lost a rod/reel near the island which I had caught my PB on, but it would look worse than that if you find it, happened in the early 90's.
4600C with red thumb bar.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: WattoFish] #14870025 10/18/23 01:56 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Ditto on LipRipper's comment. Katies was usable for a ctr console no problem. I guess the really nice new low water ramp at Meadowmere is really not open to the public. They just keep it blocked off for that contract company that works the paddle boards and jet ski rentals. I was assuming our tax dollars built that ramp, but we are not able to use it.
Twin Coves is nice also, just pricey.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14870431 10/18/23 07:57 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished Tuesday, and Monday I walked out from TC park to the beach and did some metal detecting. I took a picture at the beach, and you could clearly see the dam 9 miles away. Was really cool to see it so clear. Wind was absolutely brutal on Sunday, and Tuesday it was still heavily stained from all the high winds. I did really well on the bass the last few trips, with my PB for Grapevine (9.5 lbs), note: the top 3 fish I have caught on GV in the bass department were all caught while fishing for sandbass out on main lake until tuesday. Did not fish for sandbass on Sunday, as it was dangerous out on main lake. Tuesday, I was prowling for the green fish and couldn't get myself to change over to sandies. The water temps are around 71f, and the bass are feeding well. I caught the big one, and then went and caught some smallmouth.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 10/18/23 07:59 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14870483 10/18/23 08:36 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Congrats on the PB! As much time as you've been putting in on the lake, you more than deserve it!! Healthy looking fish too. You could start your own tackle store with all the lures, anchors, rods and reels you're finding! (including mine from a few months ago!)

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14870973 10/19/23 06:02 AM
S
ssigler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Nice fish, thanks for all your posts.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14871037 10/19/23 11:54 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I appreciate the feedback. You guys, gals, and youngsters are the reason I share. When the fishing is good, charge up the batteries in the boat and take the little ones out and let them have some fun. Let them steer the boat, and teach them how boats don't have brakes. If you go up the lake to the beach, you can ease up to the shallow sand and let them enjoy the beach. My son is like me, and he cannot sit still. He is a really good fisherman, but at 14 he doesn't have the patience to drag a worm all day long chasing the green fish. So, we change it up and do several different things on an outing. We magnet fish at the docks by ramps, and around marinas. We walk banks on the upper end, and look for old bottles. We metal detect, but he isn't that into this hobby. Lastly, we just walk banks looking around for items lost from boats. It's all about that to me, and if I can help others get out to enjoy the lake I am rewarded. Seeing the sunrises, and the wildlife has been really good lately. I noticed a big white (Great Egret) do a corkscrew and land next to a Great Blue Heron this week. I should have recorded it, as they had a Mexican standoff on who was going to push on. They both just sat there, and finally they both just did something and instantly were ok with each other. The great Blue Herons typically fly off and give you a big load squawk letting you know they aren't happy. But they both went into hunting mode, and fished the same bank. Little things like this are memorable to me. I used to fish, and couldn't tell you what was around me. Now, I am always looking at the environment for clues to help me pattern the fish. Right now, I have a theory that as the lake drops down further it is displacing crawfish from their homes. All your ramps, chunky rock banks, and the like which have protected areas for crawfish are coming out of the water. So I am fishing the usual green pumpkin red flake soft plastics, and crawfish colors on baits. Don't know if it is working, but I'm catching fish. The night bite is better than the day bite, but with the cooler water temps the fish are feeding so much more. I'm so lucky to have my fishing Buddy, to teach me things I never thought of. He brought up a good point this week. With the high winds, we might not even notice the lake turn. I think it's possibly done, but I would have to go out and do some graphing to see what the thermocline looks like. There's a scum on the water, when the wind blows but it looks like the stuff that was growing on the rocks, and layered on the clay banks. With the high winds beating up the clay banks, the lake is getting stained pretty bad. I will let you know that if you like to bass fish, just go out and idle from any ramp down the banks, and take pictures of the rock piles, points, isolated items on the banks, old concrete structures, etc. When the water goes up, you will know where to fish, and what your fishing. That is the stuff my Mentor has shared with me about GV lake. The man is amazing, and if you ever get the chance to cross paths with him on the lake you will meet a gentle giant who will point you exactly to where the fish should be.
But seriously, put a little extra gas in the boat and throw some snacks in the boat and look around, you will be surprised at what you see. If the lake drops 3 more feet, be very careful around Rock Ledge Park. The point is about 5-6 ft on top and will be dangerous if it gets lower.

Anyhoo, I've rambled enough and need to get back to work. Take care all, and please don't be afraid to throw out any tips on this thread. I am very appreciative to all who post reports. I'm always happy to answer questions, just be patient as I don't always notice the instant message alert.

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 10/19/23 11:56 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14871056 10/19/23 12:20 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Great fish and thanks for the update.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14871152 10/19/23 01:49 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
More sound proof that big fish can be caught on deeper structure and not pounding the bank ?

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: gborg] #14871290 10/19/23 03:21 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by gborg
More sound proof that big fish can be caught on deeper structure and not pounding the bank ?

Food for thought, before Tuesday my top three bass caught on GV were caught over 400 yards from the bank while I was sandbass fishing. (7-8.1 lbs range). So you are making a good statement.

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14873440 10/21/23 12:48 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
My fishing Mentor took this picture yesterday, there is a widow maker floating around insecured on the lower end. If ai see it on Sunday, I will tie it up along the bank somewhere with mule tape. If you are like me, who goes out way before sunrise, this could be very dangerous. Wear those life jackets, and kill switch at night. I split a sheet of plywood once at about 40mph at night, and it was violent. Never saw the item, but was lucky it was waterlogged. Luckily It was more of a corner hit. But be careful, and watch for this TX iceberg. If anyone decides it, I will repay you with any rope that was used. This is looking at the dam from the north bank. There's a championship tournament on GV today, weigh-in is closed at 2:40pm at Katy woods ramp if you want to see some heavy hitters bringing in fish

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14875506 10/23/23 06:34 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Need someone with some vintage to tell me what this is. Me and my son walked some banks on the upper end of the lake yesterday. The point south of the beach goes very far out. On a shell bed I found some "lever-ite" in a small location. Lever-ite is something you leaver-ite where you found it. But I found this tool, that looks like it had a wood handle, and something that you might use to grab or pull something. It was next to some horse shoes, and old metal rings possibly for horse tach.

The "thing"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice deer
[Linked Image]

Old concrete bridge in Marshall Branch (just south of the beach)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14875523 10/23/23 06:46 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Neat thread. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14875639 10/23/23 08:21 PM
R
RoadRunnerTR21 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by prosise
Need someone with some vintage to tell me what this is. Me and my son walked some banks on the upper end of the lake yesterday. The point south of the beach goes very far out. On a shell bed I found some "lever-ite" in a small location. Lever-ite is something you leaver-ite where you found it. But I found this tool, that looks like it had a wood handle, and something that you might use to grab or pull something. It was next to some horse shoes, and old metal rings possibly for horse tach.

The "thing"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice deer
[Linked Image]

Old concrete bridge in Marshall Branch (just south of the beach)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm going to guess it is a hoof pick. Since you found it next to horse shoes and it has a similar end to the hoof picks we used when we had our horse property in west Flower Mound.

The other piece with the big loop looks like it may be part of a horse bit or part of a driving halter .

Last edited by RoadRunnerTR21; 10/23/23 08:24 PM.

[Linked Image] Light Blue 19 CPX
Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14875662 10/23/23 08:45 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
The part has an opening like a hammer does for a handle. It's the same part multiple views

Re: Grapevine Lake 2023 [Re: prosise] #14875687 10/23/23 09:22 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
I texted my nephew, he and his GF raise, train horses

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
Previous Thread