Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Cross another one off [Re: Canino] #14701181 04/26/23 11:13 AM
skeeterokc Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Canino
Originally Posted by CCTX
Has anyone ever been cut off from complimentary chips and salsa?
Or do they just keep refilling?

Eventually they just refill with leftovers from other tables. So...have all you want.

roflmao

That reminds me of my 8-year-old granddaughter. She loves playing restaurant (as the owner / chef) and the last few times she says she recycles food from other tables. eek2 lol_2

Re: Cross another one off [Re: COFF] #14701258 04/26/23 12:41 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by COFF
IMO, if your business is so strapped that you feel you have to charge for a pickle, then you probably should raise the price of your sandwich. Right or wrong, in the US it is expected that garnishing items are included in the price. To charge extra for LTO or pickles just doesn't seem right.

I do understand charging for a water cup. Although that too can have a negative effect, because people may be more likely to steal soda when they are charged for the cup. It's all about perception, and how it makes the consumer feel.

I have always taken the attitude of just raising prices on menu is the way. The old flag I flew under that charged for all the extra dressings offended me and I refused to do it in my stores. I just charged more for soft drinks to cover it. That said after a while I start to think why should proper and decent people who don't order 6 sides of ranch or mooch water have to pay for those that do???? I'm starting to change my view on things as the world gets stranger.

Re: Cross another one off [Re: thrashfish] #14701280 04/26/23 12:57 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by thrashfish
Originally Posted by Mudshark
PM me your address and I will mail you .65 cents

It's $1.30

Originally Posted by thrashfish
I said that i didn't get the tomato so they needed to take one of the 65 cent charges off,

You argued that it was $.65 at the restaurant, so I think Mud has it right.

[Linked Image]
Re: Cross another one off [Re: thrashfish] #14701287 04/26/23 01:05 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
The list of failed eating joints after the accountants take control is endless. You would think they'd get it after watching place after place go cheap and go broke.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Cross another one off [Re: WAWI] #14701291 04/26/23 01:06 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by WAWI
So what is the threshold for a charge? An egg would be a charge, cheese would be a charge, what level of give away is expected? I have never charged for rinky dink stuff like that or extra dressings etc. That said I fully get why places do it. People like our ranch dressing, I don't mind throwing an extra side of ranch on something but I recently had a lady want 6...... at what point are extra charges acceptable? I'm asking out of curiosity not to argue. By the way, water cups cost me .15 each......

Not sure your 3rd question was answered even though rhetorical but as a business owner you can choose to charge for the extra (1) or all (6). The sense of entitlement by people still baffles me. Anyone who has never owned a business or been responsible for the operational day-to-day or P&L have no clue. "Why are you charging me .15 for water? That doesn't cost you anything." In that case ma'am our restroom is out of order to you.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Cross another one off [Re: thrashfish] #14701311 04/26/23 01:17 PM
P
Patriot7Six Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I nominate this thread for this year's petty award. Good grief... if you can't afford to eat out & tip, then cook for yourself. rolleyes Seems like a no-win situation for restaurant owners these days with food prices, labor shortages, and having to deal with people who just like to complain.

Fight the good fight - 1 Tim. 6:12 flag
Re: Cross another one off [Re: Patriot7Six] #14701322 04/26/23 01:19 PM
Bandit 200 XP Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Patriot7Six
I nominate this thread for this year's petty award. Good grief... if you can't afford to eat out & tip, then cook for yourself. rolleyes Seems like a no-win situation for restaurant owners these days with food prices, labor shortages, and having to deal with people who just like to complain.

flehan

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
94 Jeep Wrangler YJ
06 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Re: Cross another one off [Re: H2O Seeker] #14701334 04/26/23 01:24 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
So what is the threshold for a charge? An egg would be a charge, cheese would be a charge, what level of give away is expected? I have never charged for rinky dink stuff like that or extra dressings etc. That said I fully get why places do it. People like our ranch dressing, I don't mind throwing an extra side of ranch on something but I recently had a lady want 6...... at what point are extra charges acceptable? I'm asking out of curiosity not to argue. By the way, water cups cost me .15 each......

Not sure your 3rd question was answered even though rhetorical but as a business owner you can choose to charge for the extra (1) or all (6). The sense of entitlement by people still baffles me. Anyone who has never owned a business or been responsible for the operational day-to-day or P&L have no clue. "Why are you charging me .15 for water? That doesn't cost you anything." In that case ma'am our restroom is out of order to you.

There is a tendency for people to see every dollar they spend as profit for the business. I have heard 1000 times the glass of tea only cost you a dime. That is a narrow view of things. It all adds up on a P and L. The napkins, the paper towels in the bathroom, the soap, the guy who washes the glass or in my case the cup. The Splenda, the lemons, the electric bill, the labor to make the tea, etc etc. And don't forget they will ask for a togo cup and get a refill to take back to the office.... I have always said that a person will buy a new car and get screwed out of 1000s and continue to buy a new car from the same dealer time and time again but if they think you stuck them with a quarter on their lunch they will hate you forever. This post is an example of that. I think there was a time where places were so desperate for business and did make so much money they didn't care. Now it's changed a bit and the consumer is gonna see more of it. Ie credit card fees etc. I was at a place recently that charged 3 bucks of an extra plate if you are sharing a meal.

Re: Cross another one off [Re: thrashfish] #14701354 04/26/23 01:37 PM
H
HasBen Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
It seems, at least here in Texas, the sacred cow is the huge, bottomless bowl of chips and salsa at Mexican restaurants, especially TexMex places. It is not as common in some of the “authentic” Mexican places, but it has to be a big expense. Maybe the $15 margaritas made with cheap tequila help cover the cost.

“There’s no such thing as too much horsepower, just not enough traction”…..Carroll Shelby
Re: Cross another one off [Re: thrashfish] #14701360 04/26/23 01:42 PM
G
gdr_11 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
The smart restaurant owner builds everything into the menu prices including extra condiments, etc. My friend does this then he frequently comps drinks, sides or meals to repeat customers. Makes him look good and keeps repeat customers happy

Re: Cross another one off [Re: Patriot7Six] #14701365 04/26/23 01:49 PM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Patriot7Six

Hey!!! You can't buy that new iKon if you don't save that first .65 ... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Cross another one off [Re: gdr_11] #14701374 04/26/23 01:55 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by gdr_11
The smart restaurant owner builds everything into the menu prices including extra condiments, etc. My friend does this then he frequently comps drinks, sides or meals to repeat customers. Makes him look good and keeps repeat customers happy

I think you try and do that. I hate for everything to go well and their last impression is a charge on the bill that influences their otherwise great experience. That said it's not always easy and when a customer goes off menu with requests it can get touchy. My old neighbor at the old up n smoke location used to have a special person charge of $2 lol. I also think it depends on the spend. For example, when I bought my wife's car which was rather pricey I asked the dealership to tint the windows. They did at no charge without batting an eye. Now if I go buy some beater off the used car side for 6k for my kid to drive I would expect them to charge me for the tint. I get that completely. If I have a person come in and run up 150 dollar tab for him and his wife they aren't being charged for extra stuff especially if they are regulars. If I have a person order the cheapest thing on the menu, drink water, and ask for a bunch of extra stuff they are fairly certain to get charged for extra stuff. It's not that hard a concept.

Re: Cross another one off [Re: HasBen] #14701381 04/26/23 01:59 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by HasBen
It seems, at least here in Texas, the sacred cow is the huge, bottomless bowl of chips and salsa at Mexican restaurants, especially TexMex places. It is not as common in some of the “authentic” Mexican places, but it has to be a big expense. Maybe the $15 margaritas made with cheap tequila help cover the cost.

Friday night, like every Friday I will have a bill that is north of 120 before a large tip. It will be a pile of margaritas, a half order of nachos that my wife and I split and we will eat 3 baskets of chips and salsa. I feel good about it.

Re: Cross another one off [Re: WAWI] #14701433 04/26/23 02:42 PM
skeeterokc Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by HasBen

Friday night, like every Friday I will have a bill that is north of 120 before a large tip. It will be a pile of margaritas, a half order of nachos that my wife and I split and we will eat 3 baskets of chips and salsa. I feel good about it.

x2 (insert sloppy beers for margaritas)

Last edited by skeeterokc; 04/26/23 02:43 PM.
Re: Cross another one off [Re: thrashfish] #14701490 04/26/23 03:16 PM
Moto-Moto Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you're eating out, and worried about .65.....then you probably shouldn't be eating out.

I said what I said.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide