Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Douglas J] #14687809 04/11/23 09:19 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
This is exactly why I have said so many times lakes should be issued tournament permits based on the health of the lake. Someone will say "but it took 30 to win, lake is fine". The next person in line is 23 and it drops pretty quick from there on a full moon in April with perfect water temps and very little wind Saturday. The lake is not even close to what it was or I believe can be if stocked well and allowed time to recover. There are so many lakes to choose from, simply spread the tournament pressure out a little. If we were stocked like Fork it would be different but we are not. Go hammer Lewisville or Joe Pool or Lavon for a couple of years good grief! And recreational pressure, other than during covid when no one was at work, does not even come close to 200 plus boat tournaments every weekend during the peak spawning month on the lake!

You do realize there are around 10 million people within 100 miles or so of Ray Roberts, correct?

Do you also realize nowhere else in the country are there "good" bass lakes with that kind of population density than in North Texas?

A few tournaments a year is not what makes the fishing tough, it's the constant fishing pressure every day of the week on most lakes that makes the fishing tough.

Doug............. your interrupting his "get off my grass" rant.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Douglas J] #14687811 04/11/23 09:20 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
This is exactly why I have said so many times lakes should be issued tournament permits based on the health of the lake. Someone will say "but it took 30 to win, lake is fine". The next person in line is 23 and it drops pretty quick from there on a full moon in April with perfect water temps and very little wind Saturday. The lake is not even close to what it was or I believe can be if stocked well and allowed time to recover. There are so many lakes to choose from, simply spread the tournament pressure out a little. If we were stocked like Fork it would be different but we are not. Go hammer Lewisville or Joe Pool or Lavon for a couple of years good grief! And recreational pressure, other than during covid when no one was at work, does not even come close to 200 plus boat tournaments every weekend during the peak spawning month on the lake!

You do realize there are around 10 million people within 100 miles or so of Ray Roberts, correct?

Do you also realize nowhere else in the country are there "good" bass lakes with that kind of population density than in North Texas?

A few tournaments a year is not what makes the fishing tough, it's the constant fishing pressure every day of the week on most lakes that makes the fishing tough.

Yep but 200 plus boat tournaments every weekend in April and now even mid week in April plus lack of significant stocking are hurting the fishing on a great lake! The fishing pressure is significantly less when tournaments are not scheduled. Not a tournament hater, I fish a few. I want them spread out, not all on Fork, Toledo, Sam, Cedar Creek, Hubbard, and Ray Roberts.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Bass Buster1] #14687819 04/11/23 09:25 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D

Yep but 200 plus boat tournaments every weekend in April and now even mid week in April plus lack of significant stocking are hurting the fishing on a great lake! The fishing pressure is significantly less when tournaments are not scheduled. Not a tournament hater, I fish a few. I want them spread out, not all on Fork, Toledo, Sam, Cedar Creek, Hubbard, and Ray Roberts.

Population is the key. The higher number of people means a higher population of bass anglers.

The good old days we enjoyed in the 70's, 80's and 90's and even into the early 2000's are long gone.

#MFGA
Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Barn] #14687936 04/12/23 12:09 AM
TajChauvin Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by Barn
The 2023 Texas B.A.S.S. Nation State Championship Tournament will be held on Lake Ray Roberts. Site for the tournament will be the Lake Ray Roberts Marina. Official practice days for the tournament will be Tuesday and Wednesday, April 11 & 12 with competition days on Thursday and Friday, April 13 & 14.

Texas High School Bass Association Regional is Saturday.

Lake is getting beat up.

Kids don’t go to school during the week anymore?

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Bass Buster1] #14687956 04/12/23 12:28 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Don't worry , it will get much better after all the bass boats that were bought during Covid are repossessed, nobody can afford to buy new boats because they are over priced, the fishing pressure should go way down, I predict the lake will be more like it was in the 1990's, kinda like the Cowboys, the best around.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: TajChauvin] #14687962 04/12/23 12:31 AM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TajChauvin
The 2023 Texas B.A.S.S. Nation State Championship Tournament will be held on Lake Ray Roberts. Site for the tournament will be the Lake Ray Roberts Marina. Official practice days for the tournament will be Tuesday and Wednesday, April 11 & 12 with competition days on Thursday and Friday, April 13 & 14.

Lake is getting beat up.

I was thinking the same thing. Guess fishing takes precedence over classroom these days. I’m just pissed this didn’t exist when I was in school.

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: TajChauvin] #14687973 04/12/23 12:36 AM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
There are some schools that allow the kids to take off on Friday to prefish. Not all of them do.
Originally Posted by TajChauvin

Lake is getting beat up.

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Txduckhunter] #14687990 04/12/23 12:50 AM
T
txbowhunter27 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Doug............. your interrupting his "get off my grass" rant.

So basically you're saying it's ok to go to another lake and someone else' s back yard and do what you don't want them doing to yours??? Makes sense

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Bass Buster1] #14688208 04/12/23 09:12 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Perfect conditions? You mean post front, 48 degree morning with north winds, turned bluebird at 10am, 1/2 the Lake chocolate milk, and dropping an inch or two a day? How about the fact that it took 17 lbs to get a check and 33 bags over 16 lbs in those conditions. How about the Tuesday night tournaments? Last night 3 fish for 19 lbs to win, 2nd place had a 10 lbr, and then the week before TTO 3 fish for 17 lbs won. I get that you live near the lake and all, but dude you are truly clueless. I get that you hate the crowds and tournaments but don’t talk like you’re in touch with the fishery just because it’s in your backyard. I’m not saying it’s excellent, but it darn sure isn’t what you’re saying it is. Perhaps some Bill Dance videos would help you sharpen your skills and catch a few more.

Champs and TTO have been going to ray bob in April for 6+ years, TXTT shows up about every 2 years in April. Nothing new here. Also want to note that none of these organizations release the fish at the back marina ramp.

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Douglas J] #14688217 04/12/23 10:03 AM
JCHANDLER Offline
Angler
Angler

We're Loving our sport to Death!

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: JCHANDLER] #14688404 04/12/23 02:20 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by JCHANDLER

It's true. I don't know what the answer is, or if there is an answer, but "growing the sport" is making it less enjoyable for everyone.

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Razorback] #14688470 04/12/23 02:50 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Razorback

It's true. I don't know what the answer is, or if there is an answer, but "growing the sport" is making it less enjoyable for everyone.

This is the point I was trying to make. It is currently happening this month to Ray Roberts and yes I live there and hate it every spring! I do just fine on Roberts and still catch my share and will continue to do so but I hate it for any lake that gets pounded like that. Regardless of a few good tournament catches here and there it is not even close to what it was even before covid. The best in the world have been there 3 different times in recent years and were not able to catch the fish that are being touted above. Tournaments while a lot of fun and all of that, are consumers of a public resource and the only thought for giving back is to make sure a fish lives through weigh in. What I am suggesting is not that tournaments be stopped, only that they be required to spread out by issuing X number of permits per lake per year based on actual fish counts. That way the same water bodies do not get pounded year after year or the lakes that are getting used more are stocked accordingly. If it cost us an extra $5 on a fishing license to ensure good fishing in perpetuity I am in!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Bass Buster1] #14688495 04/12/23 03:29 PM
B
Barn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Razorback

This is the point I was trying to make. It is currently happening this month to Ray Roberts and yes I live there and hate it every spring! I do just fine on Roberts and still catch my share and will continue to do so but I hate it for any lake that gets pounded like that. Regardless of a few good tournament catches here and there it is not even close to what it was even before covid. The best in the world have been there 3 different times in recent years and were not able to catch the fish that are being touted above. Tournaments while a lot of fun and all of that, are consumers of a public resource and the only thought for giving back is to make sure a fish lives through weigh in. What I am suggesting is not that tournaments be stopped, only that they be required to spread out by issuing X number of permits per lake per year based on actual fish counts. That way the same water bodies do not get pounded year after year or the lakes that are getting used more are stocked accordingly. If it cost us an extra $5 on a fishing license to ensure good fishing in perpetuity I am in!

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they went back to the slot on Roberts. stir

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Bandit 200 XP] #14688501 04/12/23 03:38 PM
Tiltman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Disclaimer , I am not a good bass fisherman.

Before I opened my own business and did not fish for 5 plus years the fishing in general was far better (early 2015 and prior). When I was able to get back on the water in late 2020 fishing was considerably tougher on every lake I went to and truly has not been "easy" since.

I don't think it's all me just losing ability in those 5 years, I think in general fishing is just gone down hill for whatever reasons. Sure pressure has some to do with it but other factors of nature have to be considered too. It's not just Roberts it's all of them.

Re: Ray Roberts Tuesday April 11 [Re: Bandit 200 XP] #14688510 04/12/23 03:48 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
So who is going to be first in line to quit fishing these popular lakes? Who is gonna do their part and stay off of them for a couple of years? If I had to guess we all expect the other guy to stay off them while we still fish them.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide