Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: IslandJim] #14594040 01/11/23 09:34 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by IslandJim
christian: I once told Ryan Ford that if Viking would put some type of pedal drive in the Profish 400, they could have the best-selling kayak on the planet. He said that Viking didn't want pedal drives, and that they hitched their wagon to the Bixpy star. The Kiwis don't understand that the US kayak market isn't made up of he-men like them. We're on average, overweight flabby, but don't want to admit it. Hobie gets it. And sells the most(expensive) kayaks. I'm glad I got a 400. IslandJim

I think Viking would still be fine if they just came out with a framed seat. Personally I like the current seats in the Reloads and 400's (especially using the one way scupper plugs under the seat) but most people look at that seat and turn their head. Again using Hobie as an example they saw that coming years ago and switched from a padded low profile seat like the Viking currently has to a framed seat (in 2015). Yes is raised the center of gravity but only by 3/4 of an inch.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: texasflycaster] #14594186 01/11/23 11:54 PM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
It's a shame. Viking and Santa Cruz both have the same mentality. Santa Cruz ended up dieing, im afraid viking may too, not because of their products but again, the people. I always thought if the 400 had a real front hatch it would be the best. Couldn't even get that. Sad.

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: texasflycaster] #14597860 01/15/23 05:39 PM
split cane rod Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I wanted to chime in here in an inquisitive way. I recently bought a Jackson Kraken 15.5 since I do quite a bit of lake fishing. All the research I’ve done says that BTB fishing is what it was designed for.

Does anyone have any experience / input on the Kraken 15.5? Main thing I’ve found is that it’s way too long to haul around in the back of my Tacoma, even with a bed extender.

I put a rudder on it, and it tracks really nice. It’s fast, too!

Thanks for any input!

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: texasflycaster] #14598096 01/15/23 10:57 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
are pedal kayaks
trouble free?
are the pedal systems fragile?

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: butch sanders] #14598358 01/16/23 03:11 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by butch sanders
are pedal kayaks
trouble free?

more trouble and more fragile than a good paddle.. bolt

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: butch sanders] #14598396 01/16/23 04:28 AM
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
are pedal kayaks
troublefree?

I had a Hobie PA 14 prior to the Jackson Kraken I have now. I really enjoyed being able to pedal around while I had my hands free to fish. The Kraken is great. I have only had it for a short while, though. My first kayak was a Wilderness Ride. It was a paddle kayak. I caught lots of fish out of it.

As far as fragility, the year-model Hobie Mirage Drive on my PA 14 had rigid stainless steel rods on the fins. I bent them a few times bumping into stumps and rocks. I never had any trouble with the drive mechanism.

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: butch sanders] #14598541 01/16/23 01:49 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
are pedal kayaks
trouble free?

Butch pedal systems do require some maintenance and because there is an object extending roughly a foot below or under the kayak pedal systems are prone to being damaged (stumps, sand bars and even grass). I wouldn't say they're fragile. In my opinion Hobie style pedal drives are in general a little more fragile than a quality prop style pedal drive system like Old Town's because of the number of exposed moving parts in the Hobie pedal drive system. For most pedal drive systems a quick fresh water rinse after each use (I wouldn't use high pressure to rinse them unless you're several feet away from it) will go a long way in keeping them running smooth. The Old Town prop style peddle drive system comes with a 5 year warranty. Hobie comes with a 1 year warranty I believe.

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: split cane rod] #14598550 01/16/23 01:55 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by split cane rod
I wanted to chime in here in an inquisitive way. I recently bought a Jackson Kraken 15.5 since I do quite a bit of lake fishing. All the research I’ve done says that BTB fishing is what it was designed for.

Does anyone have any experience / input on the Kraken 15.5? Main thing I’ve found is that it’s way too long to haul around in the back of my Tacoma, even with a bed extender.

Thanks for any input!

JR

Jim Sammons (kayak fishing tales on YouTube) has paddles a Kraken 15.5 pretty much all over the world fishing offshore. It's in part his design so sure he is naturally biased but I haven't heard anything bad about those kayaks. For you in that Tacoma yeah that's just not a good combo. Seems like a roof rack might be a better solution than a bed extender. I would sure have insurance on that kayak though. That's a lot of kayak sticking out of the back of the truck for someone to run into.

I was looking for a Kraken 15.5 when I bought my Viking Reload. I like the framed seat and the ability to store fish down inside the hull. Ice lasts a lot longer if it's out of the direct sunlight. I believe Jackson used to make a fish bag just for that center hatch.

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: texasflycaster] #14599064 01/16/23 10:46 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
thanks men

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: Jerry713] #14599721 01/17/23 04:26 AM
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Jerry713

Thanks for any input!

JR

Jim Sammons (kayak fishing tales on YouTube) has paddles a Kraken 15.5 pretty much all over the world fishing offshore. It's in part his design so sure he is naturally biased but I haven't heard anything bad about those kayaks. For you in that Tacoma yeah that's just not a good combo. Seems like a roof rack might be a better solution than a bed extender. I would sure have insurance on that kayak though. That's a lot of kayak sticking out of the back of the truck for someone to run into.

I was looking for a Kraken 15.5 when I bought my Viking Reload. I like the framed seat and the ability to store fish down inside the hull. Ice lasts a lot longer if it's out of the direct sunlight. I believe Jackson used to make a fish bag just for that center hatch.

Thanks for the input. The plan is to put the Kraken on a trailer. My days of hoisting a kayak to the top of a vehicle are behind me. My Hobie was on a trailer when I bought it. Times got tough during COVID layoffs and cutbacks, and I sold it. I’m pretty spoiled to the convenience of launching off a trailer.

JR

Split Cane Rod
Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: split cane rod] #14599842 01/17/23 01:17 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

Thanks for any input!

JR

Thanks for the input. The plan is to put the Kraken on a trailer. My days of hoisting a kayak to the top of a vehicle are behind me. My Hobie was on a trailer when I bought it. Times got tough during COVID layoffs and cutbacks, and I sold it. I’m pretty spoiled to the convenience of launching off a trailer.

JR

Yeah I'm with ya even though that kayak is supposedly pretty light a 15 foot long kayak is still a hand full to pick up. Buddy of mine uses a trailer and loves it. He built an 8' long lockable wood rod box on one side of the trailer that holds his rods and his kayak accessories. Top of the box also doubles as a fillet station.

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: texasflycaster] #14602431 01/20/23 12:06 AM
Y
Yakety_Yak Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Jim Sammons was asked to help with the creation of what is now the Kraken. It was supposed to be designed for offshore. It does it just fine but when it boils down to a rough current day, it will be a very tough paddle back. I have done those paddles before back in the day and I am so glad to have a peddle drive now. Every now and then I miss paddling but then I realize how much easier it is to peddle. lol

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: Yakety_Yak] #14602792 01/20/23 02:30 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Yakety_Yak
Jim Sammons was asked to help with the creation of what is now the Kraken. It was supposed to be designed for offshore. It does it just fine but when it boils down to a rough current day, it will be a very tough paddle back. I have done those paddles before back in the day and I am so glad to have a peddle drive now. Every now and then I miss paddling but then I realize how much easier it is to peddle. lol

I agree pedals are better offshore. I wish I had the knees to be able to pedal more than a mile lol.

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: Jerry713] #14602921 01/20/23 04:18 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L

Thanks for any input!

JR

One of Jim Sammons biggest fears is having to go to a pedal kayak in old age! roflmao

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Best BTB Kayak 2023? [Re: texasflycaster] #14642494 02/26/23 02:18 AM
T
TXanalogkd Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
T
Wilderness Ride or Tarpon 140.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3