Forums59
Topics1,046,757
Posts14,095,139
Members144,375
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: Ed-n-eddy] #14541154 11/20/22 02:43 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Ed-n-eddy
What about the ducks? Any ideas on how to avoid a duck-hookup, other than go somewhere else?

They don’t like my fly rod. roflmao After you hook one they learn pretty quickly. I hooked a goose one time and after the squawking, it cleared about 100 geese out of the area. eeks The goose was released unharmed. smile. If there are less than 10 ducks around I just fill them up with dog food. roflmao After they are full they swim off. Oh and a goose on a 6/7 wt fights pretty hard. Especially if they are flying. Not near as hard as a pelican, but that is another story. bolt

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14543903 11/23/22 01:08 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Caught 3 little channel cats, no carps. Will not give up.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14543918 11/23/22 01:26 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by jippedgenes

Keep at it! Carp are tricky to catch but are very rewarding. Are you trying the hair rig at all? Using sweetcorn or bread on the hair is one of the simplest (and even best!) ways to catch them.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: Osbornfishing] #14543979 11/23/22 03:24 AM
R
Rowdy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
What about the ducks? Any ideas on how to avoid a duck-hookup, other than go somewhere else?

They don’t like my fly rod. roflmao After you hook one they learn pretty quickly. I hooked a goose one time and after the squawking, it cleared about 100 geese out of the area. eeks The goose was released unharmed. smile. If there are less than 10 ducks around I just fill them up with dog food. roflmao After they are full they swim off. Oh and a goose on a 6/7 wt fights pretty hard. Especially if they are flying. Not near as hard as a pelican, but that is another story. bolt

I bet a goose is all you would want on a flyrod. I had a seagull once that liked to beat me to death with its wings and they can take a plug out of you with their Beek. But a seagull is nowhere the size of a goose lol. Man that had to be a challenge to release as it was to crank in lol...

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: TXMulti-Species] #14544627 11/23/22 09:04 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species

Keep at it! Carp are tricky to catch but are very rewarding. Are you trying the hair rig at all? Using sweetcorn or bread on the hair is one of the simplest (and even best!) ways to catch them.

No, I looked it up. seems easy. I have a tiny pick for my baitcast reels when I backlash so I can use that to get the line through some corn. Even bought some little carp hooks from ebay. Would go to the slip right now but smoking my turkey. Maybe after

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14544840 11/24/22 12:58 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
I made it out this evening. Did not catch a carp but caught this. How that tiny little hook held for me to land it I have no idea. Caught it on smashed up bread with corn and goldfish food mixed in. What a fight!

Had a second rod out with just corn on a hair rig. They pulled the corn off every time or I set the hook and there was nothing, but at least I am getting bit. Just a matter of time. [Linked Image]

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: Rowdy] #14544867 11/24/22 01:25 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Rowdy
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing

I bet a goose is all you would want on a flyrod. I had a seagull once that liked to beat me to death with its wings and they can take a plug out of you with their Beek. But a seagull is nowhere the size of a goose lol. Man that had to be a challenge to release as it was to crank in lol...

Fortunately, I have worked with lots of big birds, so the goose release wasn’t to bad. roflmao But they can really hurt you with their wings if you are not careful.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14544868 11/24/22 01:26 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I made it out this evening. Did not catch a carp but caught this. How that tiny little hook held for me to land it I have no idea. Caught it on smashed up bread with corn and goldfish food mixed in. What a fight!

Had a second rod out with just corn on a hair rig. They pulled the corn off every time or I set the hook and there was nothing, but at least I am getting bit. Just a matter of time. [Linked Image]

That is a beautiful catfish. Congratulations. thumb

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14548683 11/28/22 06:33 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Awesome Blue!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14556533 12/06/22 03:40 AM
G
greentumater Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G

I like that attutude!

Last edited by greentumater; 12/06/22 03:41 AM.
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14556574 12/06/22 04:19 AM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Don't over complicate it...(like a lot of Carp anglers do...) just throw out 1-2 cans of sweet corn as chum. Place a bunch of kernels on a #4 or #6 single hook on a simple slip rig. Hold on or put it in a rod holder with the drag set just strong enough to allow the fish to pull drag, this basically allows the fish to self hook itself. Adjust the drag if needed during the fight. You'll be hooked in no time. wink

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: dmunsie] #14558126 12/07/22 10:23 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by dmunsie
Don't over complicate it...(like a lot of Carp anglers do...) just throw out 1-2 cans of sweet corn as chum. Place a bunch of kernels on a #4 or #6 single hook on a simple slip rig. Hold on or put it in a rod holder with the drag set just strong enough to allow the fish to pull drag, this basically allows the fish to self hook itself. Adjust the drag if needed during the fight. You'll be hooked in no time. wink

Good info. Going tomorrow, will give it another try.

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14558282 12/08/22 01:29 AM
W
whiterockjesse Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by dmunsie

Good info. Going tomorrow, will give it another try.

when you do finally hook up make sure to use your drag , you must tire the carp before trying to land him . Dont forget a net , becuase its alot safer than trying to gill one with your hand as it could kill the fish if your hand gets into the gills .. Cant wait to see your smile with your first carp lol

P.B. Carp ....29 lbs .... P.B. Buffalo 34.4
Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14559384 12/09/22 12:37 AM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
My buddy finally caught one. Well close, it is a buffalo fish. I was working on the boat slip and did not get to fish much.
He was super happy to get one. Tomorrow I will try again
[Linked Image]

Re: Me and a pal are gonna try carp fishing. [Re: jippedgenes] #14559405 12/09/22 12:53 AM
E
Eddie Haskell Offline
Angler
Angler
E

I know that wasn't the target, but I'd call that a pretty good fishing trip!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide