Forums59
Topics1,039,329
Posts13,962,946
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14521980 11/01/22 02:58 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by CrazyCrappieGuy
I think my local lake is just over fished, had someone tell me a month or so ago, that they guides have left this lake...Normally I fish a variety of lakes, but this year I been fishing one lake that is closest to my house because of gas prices. Will probably fish another lake this weekend, plus scout for ducks!

this time of year can be tough, its a transition cycle..baitfish are gathering is small to medium sized pods.. sometimes just sitting on or near the bottom, out in open water, with no cover or structure around them. they will move from area to area, and crappie are following them around , so the crappie are very scattered and in a roaming /feeding mode.
last week we went to waco, there were fish on almost every brushpile in 9 to 13 feet..
we went this sunday, just a few here, a few there and not biting. we checked brush in all depths, we checked mid depth drop offs and ledges, we checked deep ledges, we checked the bridge. all not holding many fish., there is not alot of timber on waco in mid depths or deeper water. historically I know that crappie will start gathering at the mouths of main river channels and start going up these river channels following baitfish. with the lake being 12 feet low, its not as predictable as to where they will be found. next trip out I will go to the entrances of main lake river channels and see what I can find. I will focus on any timber I can find at the entrances of these river channels . you just have to systematically break the lake down and try many different areas.
with the lakes being very low, the crappie may gather at these main river channel entrances, but no go into them. if schools of baitfish arent going into the river and creek channels the crappie wont go into them in mass.. , a hard cold front may come thru, drop the water temp drastically, and they leave the entrances to the channels and go out to deep ledges in the main lake. the crappie will go where the bulk of the shad are going.. The shad will go to the most nutrient rich , oxygen rich , plankton laden areas they can find that they find a suitable temperature. I dont believe water temp affects crappie location very much at all as far as thier comfort level , but it greatly affects shad.
usually this time of year, the winds are coming out of the north predominantly, this year, they are very unpredictable, many times changing direction many times in a few hours. this affects where the plankton and daphnia will be on a lake. you just have to put the time and work in to find out where they are . when you find them they may be there today but not tommorow. if u go to navionics webapps you can study your lake and find high probability areas to go check. put together a game plan, and go execute your plan. dont get distracted by what other people are doing, you may see 5 boats fishing brushpiles,. so you think , hmmm they must be on the brush, therefore I will do what they are doing. then you realize, nobody else is catching any and you dont either. They are doing what many anglers do, they sit there and hope the fish come.. HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY..
pay attention to bird activity, especially gulls , terns and cormorants.. they keep tabs on the daily shad locations and like to rest on banklines near where they are feeding on shad.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: leanin post] #14522014 11/01/22 03:52 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Thx LP, that is really good info!

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14523345 11/02/22 08:45 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I was reluctant to answer this until I got a chance to get out for the first time in 3 weeks. I think fishing in transitional months like October is sometimes harder than summer. With water temps below 70, fish are definitely moving. We don't have standing timber in the areas I fish so I focus on areas that have brush piles with easy access to both shallow and deep water. It's almost like pre/post spawn fishing. Fish seem to be more scattered this time of year and constantly moving. A spot that worked well last week might be empty. I have also upsized now that it's fall -- instead of the 1/32 oz hair jig I used for the latter part of the summer, I'm back to a 1/8 oz larger profile jig (Thump chubbie is all I will use for the next 9 months).

IMHO, one of the keys to success in crappie fishing is having a lot of different spots you can try. I wouldn't have spent much (if any) time fishing those trees in your livescope shots -- I just don't see much there. I would have probably just moved on and checked more spots until I saw more on the graph. The most productive spots for me were not on brush piles but near them. I'll go to a pile and look for a clump of fish near the bottom on the slope away from the piles. That's where I caught most of my fish yesterday.

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: Ron Douthit] #14524273 11/03/22 06:31 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Thanks Ron, good info!!

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14525999 11/05/22 03:15 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
to expound a bit on what Ron said abt the graph pics, sometimes those bright roundish blobs we can see on brush or timber can be decieving. alot of times what they are is zebra mussle clusters. on one particular lake I fish, especially in one area, the mussles are really bad and Ive been mistaken several times, thinking it was crappie, but it was not. keep this in the back of your mind when looking at stuff on livescope.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: leanin post] #14527651 11/07/22 02:27 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by leanin post
to expound a bit on what Ron said abt the graph pics, sometimes those bright roundish blobs we can see on brush or timber can be decieving. alot of times what they are is zebra mussle clusters. on one particular lake I fish, especially in one area, the mussles are really bad and Ive been mistaken several times, thinking it was crappie, but it was not. keep this in the back of your mind when looking at stuff on livescope.

I find it pretty easy to distinguish between the two

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14535720 11/15/22 01:03 AM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Been catching a few with all your tips, appreciate it. I been spoiled fishing summer time only, bite is still tough. Fished 2 different lakes this weekend I never fished before, and shot some ducks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These limit tackle jigs I just love, need to place another order!

[Linked Image]

Dinner last night…

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love this Walmart fish fryer, it cooks my crappie dinner so nicely..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14535855 11/15/22 02:58 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Brutal posting cooked crappie like that!

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14536649 11/15/22 08:50 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Ranger1

I love this Walmart fish fryer, it cooks my crappie dinner so nicely..

I have that same fryer and I agree, it works great.

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: leanin post] #14549926 11/29/22 08:06 PM
L
Lino_NTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by leanin post
Originally Posted by CrazyCrappieGuy
I think my local lake is just over fished, had someone tell me a month or so ago, that they guides have left this lake...Normally I fish a variety of lakes, but this year I been fishing one lake that is closest to my house because of gas prices. Will probably fish another lake this weekend, plus scout for ducks!

this time of year can be tough, its a transition cycle..baitfish are gathering is small to medium sized pods.. sometimes just sitting on or near the bottom, out in open water, with no cover or structure around them. they will move from area to area, and crappie are following them around , so the crappie are very scattered and in a roaming /feeding mode.
last week we went to waco, there were fish on almost every brushpile in 9 to 13 feet..
we went this sunday, just a few here, a few there and not biting. we checked brush in all depths, we checked mid depth drop offs and ledges, we checked deep ledges, we checked the bridge. all not holding many fish., there is not alot of timber on waco in mid depths or deeper water. historically I know that crappie will start gathering at the mouths of main river channels and start going up these river channels following baitfish. with the lake being 12 feet low, its not as predictable as to where they will be found. next trip out I will go to the entrances of main lake river channels and see what I can find. I will focus on any timber I can find at the entrances of these river channels . you just have to systematically break the lake down and try many different areas.
with the lakes being very low, the crappie may gather at these main river channel entrances, but no go into them. if schools of baitfish arent going into the river and creek channels the crappie wont go into them in mass.. , a hard cold front may come thru, drop the water temp drastically, and they leave the entrances to the channels and go out to deep ledges in the main lake. the crappie will go where the bulk of the shad are going.. The shad will go to the most nutrient rich , oxygen rich , plankton laden areas they can find that they find a suitable temperature. I dont believe water temp affects crappie location very much at all as far as thier comfort level , but it greatly affects shad.
usually this time of year, the winds are coming out of the north predominantly, this year, they are very unpredictable, many times changing direction many times in a few hours. this affects where the plankton and daphnia will be on a lake. you just have to put the time and work in to find out where they are . when you find them they may be there today but not tommorow. if u go to navionics webapps you can study your lake and find high probability areas to go check. put together a game plan, and go execute your plan. dont get distracted by what other people are doing, you may see 5 boats fishing brushpiles,. so you think , hmmm they must be on the brush, therefore I will do what they are doing. then you realize, nobody else is catching any and you dont either. They are doing what many anglers do, they sit there and hope the fish come.. HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY..
pay attention to bird activity, especially gulls , terns and cormorants.. they keep tabs on the daily shad locations and like to rest on banklines near where they are feeding on shad.

Great response here!

Re: Not even a thump yesterday... [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #14550464 11/30/22 10:31 AM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
CrazyCrappieGuy, I absolutely love the cast & blast. Nothing better than combining my two passions in one day! Me and a buddy will set up our decoy spread and then while we're waiting for shooting light, we'll set out a couple of catfish rigs. There's been numerous times that we've had poles bouncing while we were finishing a group of mallards into our spread. After our hunt, we'll jig fish on the way out for crappie. Bringing in a limit of birds, a couple of cats and a nice stringer of crappie is pure bliss! Love it!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide